dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    The app has been updated. It now has a "Friend" layer so you can see the locations of people who share their position with you via the website. The timestamps on the points are shown in YOUR time not the creators time.

[​IMG]
  2. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a very useful update. Just installed it and it works great. I like the options you added for Navigate to Point, etc.

Suggestion: Will you be allowing the User to specify their own update interval? The current 15 minutes (?) is OK for tracking long rides, but too long for quickly locating a riding buddy who made a wrong turn.

Bob
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Damn it Bob, you keep stealing my ideas! :D

I was going to add a button to force a ping, or perhaps just always do a ping when you open the Friend layer. That seems like a simple way to do the same thing you suggested.
  4. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    If adding a User setting (my preference) is too difficult, a "Ping" button would help.

I was testing the feature again today on a short MTB ride and the "last Location" was showing as 30-40 minutes old. How long should it take from the phone sending a location to it showing up a) on DSM site and b) back on my phone?

Bob
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Neither the site nor the app automatically update the user location layer. You are currently required to turn the layer off and back on to get updates. Because updates are expected to come infrequently I didn't see the value in updating them automatically and assumed instead that when you want to know you will want the freshest data possible. When you turn the layer on you know what the server knows. Your phone will push updates every 15 minutes if the box is checked, but you have to be online. Your phone will catch up immediately if you've been offline for more than 15 minutes.

You can check your own history (on the website) to know when it pinged. I don't show all the pings on the app because the screen is pretty small.
  6. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    OK, I hadn't figured that out yet, but I can live with it now I know how it works.

Another suggestion: My HTC Sensation works different to your older model. My "hard" search button does NOT search for maps as per the video. I need to use Menu / More / DSM Map Search. This is a key feature so it would be nice if it wasn't buried (for some users). A separate on-screen button perhaps?

Thanks
    Bob
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Does anyone else have this problem?
  8. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Could you post a pic of what it's supposed to look like after hitting the search?
  9. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    BTW, my HTC has only been available for a month in Canada so not many out there. It's running Android 2.3.3 and has Goggle Maps Ver 5.8.0 pre-installed for N America so really I wouldn't need to download OSM maps if your app could access my built-in Google maps (4GB of map data on an included mSD card).

Bob
  10. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. nevermind

Oddometer:
    mine is empty on my moto defy droid 2.2, but I'm also not sure what map set/overlay I have selected
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    That means it's working. You just searched in a place that has no tracks in it. It searches within the bounds of the screen. BobM gets the LONG click action when he tabs the search button which is some sort of error in his firmware. If you hold down your search button you will see a different screen which is what I understand BobM sees.
  13. nevermind

Oddometer:
    roger that! I guess I'll have to RTFM / view the vids!
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry I never wrote a manual. I'm just not excited about it and if you watch the videos and spend 20 minutes clicking around you will be an expert too. I am hoping someone on this forum will take it upon themselves to write a manual which I would be happy to post on the website.
  15. nevermind

Oddometer:
    app/systems documentation has never been one of my strong points...
  16. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Incredible work Crafty Coder, great stuff.

besides the waterproofing on the cell phone I am concerned with vibration. A milspec phone is in my opinion a viable option...

I am considering this one...

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5634

I have been waiting for 4G version and hoping the rugged phone craze would catch on... I am also waiting for someone to hack one to remove some of the bloatware... I think it would be perfect for this application.

I am kind of struggling financially right now so neither option is going to happen near turn. As much as I would like to try this $20 app I find myself opting to spend the money on a tank of gas.
  17. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The Commando does look cool Mr Fisherman.

For those of us with normal phones, I'm working on the remote still. I just got the panel mount rotary encoder, so this is where I'm at right now (photo below).

I working on getting the cost down a bit. I've got some microcontrollers in the mail that do only what I need without any frills which cost half as much. I'm working on waterproofing the joystick and if I can make that happen I will put the new little micros in the box with the controls and the entire enclosure will be waterproof.

[​IMG]
  18. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Any reason why this wouldn't work with the Commando?
    By the time I can afford that upgrade I might be able to afford your remote... that's pretty darn cool... great work and I love that it controls Audio volume. Bring on Pandora for the adventure :clap
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I think the Commando would be ideal for this application. Pandora requires network access which is never available to me when I'm riding. I'm thinking you will be better off with MP3s...
  20. wparkinson

wparkinson Gear Whore

Oddometer:
    I have scanned your thingie and looked in Android Market and cannot find your app. Just doesn't seem to come up.

Ok.. well I can find it on the PC but not on my phone.... Hmmmm... Well I can buy it online I guess and then it will download.... Please Disregard.....
    WP