Franken Guzzi - hence Frankuzzi - a Desert Guzzi is born

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Desertpistons, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you saying you could make a similar bike from a 500? Is the frame/engine basically the same? Great thread and I have a lead on a 500....

Cheers,

Adrian
  2. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    I believe so but i am not sure 100%. heck all the beemers r frame are more or less the same. Take some pics and we compare

3. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 500 frame will work.They have the shortest swinging arm but as DesertPistons has shown that's the weak point so if you are serious it has to go. They also use cup and cone steering head bearings that are very expensive but I also assume that the forks will go too so that's another problem sorted !
  4. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really glad to see that work on your baja replica has resumed DP !!!!The "survivor" is the one in Northern France isn't it ?
    Love the swinging arm job you've done...we just need lots more pictures !
  5. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    here you go. Right.....so start with a cheap donor bike
  6. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    Most of the Bajas are in France. I know 5 of them being in Italy, mine in the US, 3 in Australia, the rest presumably in France
    Actually the one I posted is/was for sale around Monza Brianza, Italy.

More pics will follow:evil
  7. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
  8. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    Note the support for the shock.....serious stuff here :wink:

love the laced borrani wheel with that lip.....no need to offset perfectly centered in the swing arm....yeah!

[​IMG]
    picture hosting
  9. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Love this build!

:thumb
  10. gravelklr

gravelklr gravelklr

Oddometer:
    Cool Guzzi!! :thumb
  11. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
  12. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup :clap
    Just would be a little worried about engine reliability :ear
    Given small blocks rep...
  13. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the build! One thing I'd do though is add some support for the swingarm pivot to the frame. Relying on the "ears" of the relatively lightweight alloy rear transmission casting to handle the stress of that larger/heavier swingarm, rear drive and wheel bouncing around off-road, could be a recipe for dramatic failure.
  14. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    Really? the bad rep is the 4 valve lario engine. the v50 e v65 are solid, at least in my experience I never had a problem if the bike is well maintained. There is a lot of abuse out there and maybe this is the result. The stock v65tt bike has few issues and as I mentioned the stock final drive is prone to failures over certain mileage. Another issue is the electrical circuit when it gets old but the v65 tt with its small block.... beside shity brakes, wimpy forks, bad exhaust...is one of the best guzzi engines ever. BTW the bmw g/s has many moles too....
  15. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Good technical observation
    You are right but this is not how the the bike's swing arm is pivoted. Bajas raced the dakar with this configuration, never a failure one the swing arm or the transmission casting: ie- We used threaded pivots with welded spacers inserts on the support holes. (I believe this is your suggestion). The bike has not not the v65TT usual set up. It is similar to r beemers' set up now.
  16. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    Lets talk about exhaust. I was able to get a piece of history. The exhaust of the proto 750 4valves. Nothing special about it... just 2 bended tubes but knowing that this came from the guzzi reparto corse makes me :D
    Unfortunately not a trace of the racing mufflers so I opted for 2 old style enduro mufflers (german origin) and i got them welded at the end of the exhaust

A reminder pic of the proto

[​IMG]
  17. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    We built a removable small back frame to hold the back tank in place. I wanted something small and gracious and I always liked the HPN tank.

You may notice that the back exhaust is hold in place through a bracket and 2 springs. Nothing new, a solution adopted by Guzzi with the Baja bike. The springs allow and dampen the vibrations. The back of the muffler is removable by removing the 2 springs. It can be packed accordingly so it be may be quiet or loud. I left it loud.

The back fender is an acerbis Baja. Note also the back shock mount. It is very different from the stock tt. It is braced and the shock is well supported by both sides.

Last i like the large handle that protrudes from the tank. I can hold the bike there and pull it if i need.

[​IMG]
  18. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    next the picture of the special desert air box. Back splash fender made out of kevlar. Believe it or not i did it myself.

I could have improved the general electrics but i had a budget in mind. It will be the next project on this bike. the engine has an electronic ignition though...

[​IMG]
  19. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    That's cool!
  20. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely work and very well documented.I'd love to do the same kind of mods to my NTX, cash being the limiting factor!!