Honda PCX: coming to the US

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cogitate, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about it too much, if you look at the actual figures it becomes clear that stop-start is more of a talking point than any real advantage. According to Honda's own estimate, idle switch improves the economy by 5%. So if you fill up its 6l tank once a week, over one year period you'll save a grand total of... wait for it.... 15 liters! Or I think about 4 gallons for you non-metric people.

Just negotiate $50 off the price and that will make up for the loss of stop-start feature over the likely lifetime of your scooter...
  2. Roose Hurro

Roose Hurro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... I could've sworn I'd read 15%, not 5%.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's only 5% according to http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/2010-motorcycles/honda-pcx.php which mentions 5% as one of 'Honda figures, obtained in test conditions (WMTC mode)'

Also this is the figure quoted in http://www.bikesales.com.au/reviews/2010/honda/pcx125/launch-honda-pcx125-21364 and http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/The-Honda-PCX-125i-Scooter-Specification

In all fairness, Honda's own site at http://world.honda.com/environment/currentinitiatives/motorcycles.html says 'By eliminating idling, this system reduces fuel consumption by approximately 7%'

Obviously the figure will depend on your environment - the more time you spend idling at the traffic lights, the more you'll save. But 15% seems pretty far off even from the official estimates.
  4. flatboarder

flatboarder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, it mostly depends on where you use it, how much of traffic jam, traffic lights and so on, but all in all savings are not very big. However, this feature works great, and it is very relaxing and cool, not keeping the engine running when coming to stop. Once you get used to it, you love it. As soon as you can go on, turn throttle and engine will start immediately (without any starter noise) and pull right away. Unlike some cars with that feature, with the PCX there is nearly no difference to acceleration after engine idling.

All in all the PCX rides very nice, handy, good acceleration, easy. Riding nearly top speed most of the time will result in fuel consumption of approx. 2.9l/100km.
    Riding at 50-60km/h will keep consumption down at approx 2.2l/100km.

I do not understand why they remove idle stop for the US models, but maybe they are afraid of people claiming the scooter would start its engine unintentionally and would cause horrible accidents?
    BTW idle stop also checks whether a person is sitting on the scooter. It would never start its engine in case the rider got off the seat at an idle off situation and accidentially turn throttle for some reason.

Well it reminds me of the ruckus still making use of a carburator for its US version while running fuel injected for the EU version, which works very nice, consuming 2.1l/100km riding full throttle all the time. I cannot think of any reason for dropping FI for the ruckus for the US models.

I just equipped my PCX with winter tires, since it is getting quite cold and it even did start snowing. I am about to collect some information at my german PCX page for those being interested in this scooter model.

Phil
  5. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My one concern is that if you only run that scooter in the city conditions and actually get to use this feature a fair bit you'd end up discharging your battery faster than it can recharge with those constant start ups... Have you had any experience in this regard?
  6. flatboarder

Oddometer:
    Unlike many motorcycles the PCX starting procedure is really quick and somehow feels effortless, but you are right. If you are doing stop and go all day this will consume all your battery power. I have no idea how long it may take to drain it all. This would be very bad since there is absolutely no way of starting the PCX without battery power. Without knowing any better, I guess, auto idle off mechanism is switched off in case of reduced battery capacity.

I use my PCX for riding country roads most of the time. There is not much of inner city traffic, so I cannot give an expertise. However, there is enough battery power for traversing Salzburg city with all its traffic jam, which in fact is quite good :)

Regards, Phil
  7. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_9iJLzEiaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_9iJLzEiaE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

No action segments, but a good presentation of the features. Note: Givi has an optional pad made for the case.
  8. BigIron805

BigIron805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sounds Complicated.
  9. flatboarder

Oddometer:
    Whatever may sound complicated there, I can confirm, handling the PCX is extremely easy in every point. The PCX is a true 'no brain no pain' item, including the idle stop and CBS brakes. Which also means, there is no bord computer, no confusing digits or indicator lights in the cockpit, nothing at all that could make one think about its meaning. It is totally staight forward. Well, maybe the ignition lock switch could stop you a short moment when trying to get on it the first time. :)

However, there is a downside at least for me. My PCX is an oil consumer. Which means it takes about 100ml (of a total of 900ml) each 1000km.
    Honda considers this as normal. I spoke to people from Thailand where the PCX has been on the market quite a while, and they told me theirs would not consume any oil.
    I will have to watch. If oil consumption is goind to increase I have a chance of getting it fixed. As long as it will stay constant, I am on my own.

Phil
  10. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your dealer's service department says that this is "normal" consumption??

Hmmm....
  11. flatboarder

Oddometer:
    No. Honda says this. I talked to their customer service.
    They claim (which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous) the PCX may consume up to 250ml per 1000km.
    There is a total amount of 900ml of oil. Between min and max there are approx. 100ml.
    This would mean, you need to refill 3 times within 1000km. Which would mean you need to take you oil can along whenever doing some distance rides.

BTW this is my first 4 stroke single cylinder motorcycle consuming oil. I rode 2 KTM and 3 Yamaha 4 strokes, also a 50ccm Honda Ruckus (23000km of full throttle). No oil consumption.
    Well, the PCX does. I am a bit concerned about it, because the PCX is a real good ride, that I would not put on sale easily, although it is quite cheap. And in fact, it rides perfectly, there is no argue about that.

Maybe I will get back to my dealer and ask for another PCX, giving back this one (2000km) in nearly new condition and paying for the rest. According to Honda my PCX is perfectly ok, so let them handle it.
    However, since the PCX is sold out over here, this would take a long time to get a new one.

(some statements in german language at my PCX page)
  12. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a surprise - never heard of Honda taking that kind of position before. Doesn't seem entirely reasonable.
  13. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I would say any new scooter consuming oil is not "normal".

Sounds like a good scoot. Too bad Honda is not doing anything in the middle range. They have nothing between the 150cc PCX and the 600cc SilverWing in the US market.
  14. flatboarder

Oddometer:
    Actually this is what I was thinking.

How about Yamaha? I cannot tell since their US site has become inaccessible for us, but I rode the X-Max 250 several times, and I need to say, it is great. It does not feel as light and easy as the PCX and it is way bigger and heavier, but it has got very good power and acceleration, it is fun to ride, and it offers perfect comfort while not consuming much fuel. And it has got ABS.

Phil
  15. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Yamaha USA 2011 Line-Up

TMAX 500cc EFI Water Cooled $8,590 USD
    Zuma 125cc EFI 4T Air cooled $3,250 USD
    Zuma 50cc 2T Carb Air Cooled $2,390 USD
    C3 50cc EFI 4T Water Cooled $2,250 USD
    Vino Classic 50cc 4T Carb Air Cooled $2,250 USD

NO Majesty in 2011 line-up, Dealers will have some leftovers.
  16. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    Stopped by the nearest dealer today. Here it is!

[​IMG]
  17. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow .. nice:clap
  18. flatboarder

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable. They put external flashlights on it.
    The EU version does not need them at all. They are included in the bodywork / mainlight.

Phil
  19. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    Good catch! I didn't take notice of that in the shop. It's ridiculous - U.S.A. D.O.T. needs to change. Just because an indicator is hanging out doesn't mean it's easier to see - integrated is the way to go.
  20. V Saarela

V Saarela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boden, North of Sweden and near the arctic circle
    I saw the PCX at EIMA Milano. Also had the possibility to sit and feel the scoot.(no, we have not yet the PCX in Sweden, will come 2011)
    [​IMG]
    Good looking view, the chromering follows with when turning.

[​IMG]

Noticing the flashlight you are talking about. Is it because they are white flash(it´s not allowed in us?) or is it becaude there are spec for how wide it must be between the flash/blinkers?
    (In Sweden the wide has to be 18 centimetres at front and 22 back)