EZ Pass Location?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Soberman001, Aug 16, 2012.

1. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:

I keep mine in my breast pocket, works fine when going through NJ, NY, Mass, or NH. Doesn't even matter which side is out.
  2. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in NY and I run my EZpass all the time through the toll booths on my commute. I got one of those plastic ezpass holders that you mount on your handlebars. Works great, always gets recognized by the sensor, and in case it doesn't its easily removable to hand it to the attendant. Also easy to remove when I'm off the bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ha...3746&sr=8-1&keywords=ezpass+holder+motorcycle

Used to carry ez pass in the pocket, but it didnt read half the time, was a real pita. 20+ bucks might be a bit much for a piece of plastic, but to me convenience is worth it.
  3. SFCommuteRider

SFCommuteRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. DCMC

DCMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just stuck mine to the tank right in front of me where I can grab it off and hold it up, because the toll booths in the northeast up 95 are old and never read it anyway. I look like a crazy man rolling through at 2 MPH with my hand up in the air. :loco
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
  6. jrsndman

jrsndman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have mine mounted in side my right hand guard. I painted it flat black. You can't even see that it's in there. Works every time.

As those of us in the Philadelphia area know, you can't just ride through all the tolls and look for it on your bill. The bridges between PA and NJ have gates that don't open if the transponder doesn't read.
  7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just so you know - I've gone through ez pass in NJ without actually having the unit in my car. I was charged the normal toll rate, so I'm guessing they can just read your plate and charge you that way. Also I've gone over the bridge from PA to NJ with no EZ pass in the car and the gate opened anyway (I was going to drive through it if it didnt :lol3)... they're not going to detain you if they don't get a clean read!

I have one ez pass unit and two cars, which are both registered to the same unit. To bail out of a traffic jam I just went through the ez pass lane despite not having the unit in the car... everything's been fine ever since. :1drink I bet you could just register the bike on the website and drive through ez pass at will with no unit mounted up at all.

The online procedure for disputing an EZ pass ticket is very simple so no worries there, just make sure your bike is registered to your account.
  8. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned earlier, Texas has the sticker type pass so its not a big deal. But for larger transponders one option could be a jacket pocket that would allow the pass to work:

[​IMG]

One other implementation i have seen is a gps type mount with the transponder velcroed on it. or velcro the pass on top of the caps around the bars. check the top left of this image.
    [​IMG]

Same discussion here:
    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61294
  9. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I have the previously mentioned holder on my right mirror stalk. It doesn't seem to matter that it is to square to the ground.
  10. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    I've never been charged the full fare when going through at carpool hours, though I think that's what happens on the Golden Gate if your tag doesn't read since you have to go through a staffed lane to get the discount. The state-owned bridges will get you for the correct amount.

The loop detector in the carpool lane's pavement on the Benicia-Martinez bridge is very easy to dodge. Just saying.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Hmm... I'll have to look closer :wink:
  12. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    My EZ Pass transponder (same beige unit as my cars use) is just thrown in my tankbag and AFAIK has never failed to register.
  13. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride the Ohio Turnpike every day to work. ($$$) I have a small Chase Harper barrel bag on my handlebars that I use. I wedge the EZ Pass in so that it sticks up and out of the bag on the right side. I then close the zipper tight against it. This works as long as you're not riding on too rough of a surface. I did lose one once after hitting a hard bump, but have doing this every day for the past few years and it works. I also use the bag to keep a small can of chain lube, tire pressure checker and whatever else.
  14. SwissFreek

SwissFreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back when I lived in MA with my first bike, I carried the car version around and it almost never worked either in my pocket or a tank bag. Waved it above my head like a dumbass and even then a lot of times it didn't work. I learned that MA also has the little black ones for motorcycles that you can put on your license plate, but by the time I found out I was moving out of MA to MD and didn't care anymore anyway. Since then the only state I've lived in with EZ Pass is MD, and those tolls were so far north from me that I never crossed them on my bike.
  15. calgaryjeff

calgaryjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There were able to read my EZPass on my bike while it was in the back of a moving van so I don't think it matters where you mount it.
  16. raypitter

raypitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have EZ pass holder in my car. and I have mounted it on windshield.
  17. clintonl

clintonl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you order the long narrow black EZ Pass transponder that bolts onto a front license plate rather than the white square one then you can zip tie it neatly and securely out of site. You can see mine mounted just in front of the tachometer in the photo below. It just looks like a black bar.

[​IMG]
  18. raypitter

raypitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Front of the tachometer and Two strips of heavy duty velcro under the beak. Holds perfectly and very easy to install!
  19. DJacobsen5116

DJacobsen5116 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here from the Seattle area use the Good-to-Go Pass? Where do you mount it? I've called their office a couple of times to get information about the pass for Motorcycles and placement and they don't seem to understand "motorcycle" but will happily send you a bill including penalty if you don't have a pass. I'm not enthused about mounting it on the windshield but that seems to be their only option. FJR1300
  20. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer: