EDC in Morocco on a Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré....amongst others...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WIBO, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I'll visit Morocco in late April on my V-Strom.
    As I ride alone on a pig and only have about 4-5 days to spend in Morocco, I plan to stick to the roads (tarmac and graded gravel).
  2. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    The moto will be just fine for hard pack and gravel and the weather there will not be too hot. A good piste to do would be from Ouarzazate to Zagora,where the Suzook would cope OK with the going. There's no deep sand and it's all 'stone lanes'.

Buy a 'camel bak' type water back pack...(I use the €25 ones you can buy in Decathlon on my enduro moto) My 'Adventure' jacket has one integrated . Drink whilst on the move and you'll never get thirsty.

The reason I head south is for the weather and the pistes,but you'll find,with only 5 days there that you might only get as far as e.g. Ouarzazate.(which is suffice for your timeframe)

If you check www.viamichelin.com and click on Directions you'll find it will be able work out distances and times from larger towns within Maroc. This should assist you to work out some sort of a rough game plan .

Also if you have a look at this.....it will give you information on each town in Maroc.

http://looklex.com/morocco/index.htm

:D
  3. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Ouarzazate to Zagora is noted.

I already have a Kriega camel bak that I use for enduro/rally riding on my Yamaha.

LookLex is a cool site - thanks for the link.
  4. oliwoof

oliwoof Pyrenees - paradise

Oddometer:
    No, next time I'm never going to be out of sight of that man in front with all the electronic gizmos!
  5. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I am a firm believer that everyone needs to be self sufficient. Going into the desert is like going out in the mountains snowmobiling. Lots of exposure. Its very easy to get separated from the group and every person should have at least the following:
    First aid, GPS, Map, compass, food and water for 2 days, tools to fix your bike and spares.
    I carry these on every ride whether its on a snowmobile or a moto. Anything less can get you in trouble fast.
    You never know when you will need to spend the night somewhere and relying on other people is just something I won't do.
  6. david hall

david hall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you been to Morocco? If you fell off your bike in the middle of nowhere, in about 12 seconds you would be surrounded by people who have appeared from who knows where! Give them a few Dihrams and they would provide you with a Gin and Tonic if you required one. I dont use a GPS there either.
  7. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    Hello mate, my videos are complete amateur and I've only done one or two of some greenlanes in the UK but nothing else...and I still have to do the Morocco one. Christophe's pro-quality vid might be the one you were wondering about? The link is in Noah's post below. I don't know if he has a channel or not I could find out, or maybe WIBO knows.

Out of curiosity where do you live? A fellow inmate (stamp) and I go riding around Kent (UK) pretty frequently - he's on a DRZ400 and I'm on the tiger. You have the best of both worlds with your bike ensemble so should come out with us one day if you're in the area.

8. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
  9. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Cool report!

I remember years and years ago we were working on Crete (Greece) and had to run a thin cable hundreds of meters across the fields, also crossing a small asphalt road. I had put about 10m in a loop on each side (as a safety) and also put some rocks on it to keep it on the ground, as we could only check it from time to time instead of leaving someone to watch.
    Maybe an hour later we heard screeming tires and looked down the field towards the road. The cable must have lifted from the ground and got caught on the hood of a pickup. The driver just drove back a few meters to let the cable drop and moved on. Never honked or anything.
    Seemed normal for them ... I run to apologize and check for damage, but he was out of sight within seconds.
  10. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    D'oh!!!!!

Wouldn't take much to cut someones head off...I recall,maybe last year,that an Italian rider had that happen to him.

11. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    It was nice of you to not embellish all the silly trouble this goat team was always getting into :lol3 Thanks for all the good info and detailed costs. I ordered the Mitas E-07's and excited to get on some of these dirt roads in the spring (don't see a lot of that in Germany!)

Might have to hassle Noah for those GPX files as well
  13. Rafael Martins

Rafael Martins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Wibo, I saw on the video that you use a lot the engine on high revs, is that normally the way you ride? That's because I come from a small engine bike, and for the Ten has a lot of torque in low and mid revs, so I almost never over rev after 6.000 rpm.

Nice video by the way
  14. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Hi Rafael...

No I don't 'normally' ride it like that......I'm snorting along nicely and if I keep it in a 'flexible' gear then any obstacles or hazards i.e. a trench running across the lane,when I back off I have braking or if I need to accelerate more I have it instantly....(In places I can be riding along at 60km/h plus )
    With normal easy going it I just thump the moto along cruising......

15. Tjilpi

Tjilpi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabulous selection of bikes; I can sense the excitement.
    Great report in its early stages.
  16. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    It's been tough condensing 3 weeks of fun packed goodness into 4 minutes but here it finally is....hope you like it :1drink

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qxrFCypRFVU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    PM me an email address.
  18. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I already stole it and put it in my report! Thanks bud! great vid!:deal:lol3
  19. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
  20. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Craig for taking the time to edit that....It was a good watch....

Think I'll head back again in October and factor in a good bit of wild camping....if need be hotels when it's raining in the North and once over the mountains and better weather,then wild camp.

I found a trail of about 500kms to ride south west of Marrakech...:evil

I still have to get the pics/video from Frank and Ken....