Biffed off the Beemer...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by C-Stain, Apr 23, 2013.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First DS rise of the season yesterday and I was out with Inmates.Fred Green and LilGreenBooger. I caught the wrong end of a deep rut and rode the low side to the end.

I knew instantly I had fractured my left Tibia and Fibula. Thank gawd I was with Fred and Nate. -calm, cool and collected with the right amount of humor thrown in.

I'll post more deets when I get hold of my camera and GoPro.
  2. Cale_Kat

Cale_Kat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uh. Good of you to post the x-rays.

Look, dude, feel better. No rush on the deets.
  3. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey fracture buddy. I broke the same 2 bones yesterday. Get well soon. :freaky

If I can get a look at them I'll post my X-rays also.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get well quickly.
    Free healthcare!

Let me guess, big heavy bike in the dirt?
  5. roadchick

roadchick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh noooo!!! That's not good. And right at the beginning of riding season. Here's to a uncomplicated swift recovery. Didn't know you had a Beemer. I'm looking at the new 1200 gs. :clap
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did pannier fall on leg as it extended backward? Hope you recover fully and quickly. Saludos, Jim
  7. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only an F800 - not that heavy. And yes, in the dirt!
  8. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    No panniers. Extended it on the fall.
  9. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    Good to see that you're well enough to start this thread Craig.

Myself, Fredgreen, and C-Stain were out for a ride. I was on point, on a nimble fast KLR, C-Stain on his GS, and sweeping the rear was Fred on his new Ural Gear-up. I was riding like an asshole,scrambling really fast, and I blame myself partially for the accident; if I wasn't riding so fast, C-stain might not have been riding so fast. Mrs.Stain has told me that it's not my fault, but I still feel bad.

So I was riding fast, jumping little bumps, rocks, and kicking the rear out on the corners. I've been riding off-road for 25 years...and I'm 30. I'm in my element. I just got a new (to me) modified KLR, and I'm diggin it. Every 5 minutes or so, C-Stain and I would pull over, and wait for Fred. We'd have a smoke, or shoot the shit or whatever, but this was our MO. I was surprised that C-stain was staying right on my 6 in a set of ruts/whoops, and as I rounded a corner, and wheelied up a hill, I realized he wasn't behind me anymore. slow down....stop....kill motor. Silence. Take a piss...silence.

I 180 and find him right about where I saw him last in the mirror. I shut off, dismount, and remove my helmet, thinking he needs help to right his bike, and shake it off. he tells me his leg is broken, and not to touch him because he's comfortable. what he really wants is a smoke. I get his smokes, but his lighter is in a pocket under him. in true KLR fashion, I rev up my bike and light his cig off the header pipe. He called me MacGruber.

I get Fred and we do a 911 call. Give GPS coordinates. FD will be first on scene. I ride out 8km and meet them, lead them right to him. about an hour later a crown vic and a pretty lady cop get there. Then another hour later the ambulance gets there, and craig gets his drugs...but it doesn't seem like enough - scroll up for x-rays. after some crafty maneuvering with a backboard and the stretcher, they get him loaded in the ambulance...to cut his boot off.

I rode the GS out to a waiting trailer to take the bike home for him. Fred took me back to my bike in the Ural, and sorry to say, it was the highlight of the day for me.

Some Pics:

The day started out great.

This is the type of trail we were on:
    [​IMG]

My Bike, and C-Stain & GS in background:
    [​IMG]

Fredgreen:
    [​IMG]

C-Stain had a minor get-off and had to summon Russian Tech Support to fix a bent shifter...of course I had to summon Russian Tech Support earlier that day for the KLR, so I don't hold it against him too much, lol:
    [​IMG]

So I decided I would be a good friend, and not take his pic while he was lying there, before help came. after help came, it was fair game!
    [​IMG]

The nice firefighters gave him some blankets, to cover his ugly ass up. he could still smoke though:
    [​IMG]

The Paramedics arrive, and after teasing the shit out of him...because he's a paramedic, and he works with them...they juice him up with some feel-good:
    [​IMG]

We ended up with quite a bit of traffic on this old 'road'
    [​IMG]

Here the medic is demonstrating how he's going to strangle him if he doesn't stop telling them what to do:
    [​IMG]

After a painful re-arranging, they get c-stain in the ambulance:
    [​IMG]

This is how he spent 4 hours, of what I can only imagine would be seven hell's worth of pain:
    [​IMG]

Fred and I asked C-stain if he was alright...looks good!
    [​IMG]

Get well soon buddy.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over 400 pounds, that is about 100 pounds too heavy...at least for older guys....

No need to ask me how I know this...

Glad you had such good friends along.
    Some guys would just use you for traction...

11. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are you calling older? :ddog

But you are right - I have some good friends and remembering and seeing more and more each day. I'm a pretty lucky guy.
  12. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap your tough. I hope your recovery is swift and true.
  13. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you're gonna be alright... scary stuff..

I see you had a gopro with you? Was it recording?

Hope you have a fast recovery.
  14. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Balls! That sucks, sorry to learn of the bad luck. Here's to a quick and full recovery! BTW you should ride with Kelsow he hangs back just to make sure he gets good shots of you going over. :lol3 What was worse the crash or the recovery and razing you no doubt were subject to?

Looks like you were wearing hiking boots, would MX style boots made any diff? Curious as I am trying to get used to riding in Tech 3s and move away from my military style boots.
  15. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    He was wearing MX boots, full calf. The boot acted like a splint, most likely doing him a lot of good post injury. I shudder to think of how bad it would have been if he'd been wearing work boots...like I was. MX boots on order for me now.
  16. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
  17. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  18. DirtReeper

DirtReeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear Craig.

FreddieG was kind enough to fill us in on the dualsport site this am.

This reinforces that fact that we should always ride with someone if at all possible. Especially if they have a camera. :D

Rest up and hopefully the bike wasn't too badly damaged.
  20. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a fucking bummer!!!:eek1 I love the stories you guys whipped up to go along with the truth:deal. Good friends are worth their weight in gold, and so glad you weren't alone. Man, heal up!!! Pronto!!!!!