1000mi Oregon Outback Loop From Bend

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by dvwalker, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    Actual unfiltered 7day track log from my 2010 wr250r 1000 mile loop starting/ending in Bend OR. Route is 50+% 2 track/cow trail, and 40% forest service type roads, and approx ~10% pavement connectors. Would not recommend a bigger (400lb+) GS type bike for much of this route unless your bike is really setup for technical riding (shocks,tires,etc). Warning due to the remote nature of much of this route, plan for camping and the need to carefully manage your water and gas for 220+ mile legs between stops.

Planned route was gleaned from various sources (eg, bend hookaguy(sp?), OBDT, TAT, Google Maps, Benchmark TOPOS, etc). Invested countless hours in route planning, although during actual ride we did a lot of dead reckoning so some route sections may vary from other known online sources. Tracks 5 and 6 were interupted with heavy rain and lightning, so planned camping stop for day 5 at hart mt hot springs was not made.

Awesome ride!!! Hopefully, time permitting a ride report will follow later this 2010 fall/winter.

Legend:
    - Blue are odd ride days (1,3,5,7) and red are even (2,4,6)
    - Used Bigdogs patented service waypoint naming convention; G=Gas, F=Fuel, and L=Lodging
    - interactive route map compliments of craftycoder
    <IFRAME title="Oregon Outback Loop" height=480 src="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=67FFC0FC-99A2-45E9-910A-4DDFFCF97668" width=1024></IFRAME>

Rencon Wilderness (proposed), near Funnel Canyon:
    [​IMG]

edit: added craftycoders interactive route map
  2. liv2rydktms

liv2rydktms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where's the rest of the pics and ride report! :ddog
  3. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks very interesting!!!
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could not see how to download tracks, just a bunch of ?)#@)*+@&
  5. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    Countdown, with IE two methods:

1) right mouse button over track URL, select "save target as...". In the IE dialog prompt, browse to where you want to save file. Make sure to use a .gpx file extension instead of .xml. Open file with Mapsource, or other gpx compatible mapping tool

2) select track URL, XML will then be displayed in a new browser window. From the IE File menu, select "Save As,,,". Browse to where you want to save file. Open file with Mapsource, or other gpx tool.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no clue what you are talking about. There are hundreds of lines of text on the site. It seems to lock up my computer. A friend had posted a similar bunch of text on the "Friends of Jawbone" web site. No one could download his stuff either.

Can you post a .gdb file?
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    For the Luddite in the crowd.....:evil

1. Download the file as noted above
    2. Change file type to .gpx from .xml
    3. Open with Mapsource

Thanks for sharing, DVWALKER:clap
  8. redpillar

Oddometer:
    That loop looks like a fun trip. Which months of the summer would be good heat wise etc.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the lower 1/3 of the class in the Rio Linda high school (as Rush says),

Did you go to this site? If so do you see hundreds of lines of text?

I don't see "a" file, I see line after line after line of stuff I don't reconogize?

I would play around with "a" file if I saw "a" file.
  10. redpillar

Oddometer:
    countdown, can you right click the link?
    if so, you should be able to "save the link as"
    then you should be able to choose gpx after that find the file you have saved and open it in Mapsource.
  11. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    redpillar, to generalize on the riding window in areas of this route. Many folks ride during the peak heat in summer (july/aug), I do not like heat or biting bugs so early sept is my recommendation.

nov-june :: high risk of snow potential
    july - aug :: high risk of heat 90+, bugs around lake areas
    sept :: cooler temps, risk of lightning storms and rain events
    oct :: cooler temps, more risk of rain/snow, and deer hunters in more accessible areas
  12. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been pondering what to do on the big ride next year.

I think this seals the deal---thanks for putting this up.

And of course a guy can add a whole lot more to it if he has the time.

Thanks again !!

Mark
    BigDog

Now hold up at home for the moment ---FL (food and Lodging) :D :D :deal
  13. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    If the greenies have their way most of the 3 corners (OR, NV, ID) and south west ID will be off limits to riding. Proposed wilderness areas abound. Unless there's a policital change we need to ride this amazing area while we can. Lifetime supply of bunny trails going in each every which direction. The hot springs dotting these areas are also a sight for sore butts.

My next route variations will probably include much more of the 3 corners and west ID sections (eg, owyhee canyon, etc).

bigdog, looking forward to your mex to can dvd, and big thanks for posting your tracks.
    mike_d1 likes this.
  14. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Right click save traget as does not have .gdb option I saved as .gpx but mapsource says not valid file when I try to open. Using Mapsource 6.13.7
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I right clicked the file/link (?) and then "Save Target As" and saved it to hard drive. I opened Mapsource, then opened the file in question as a .gpx and then saved it as a .gdb. It worked! Thanks for help from inmates.
  16. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    No - I right clicked on the link, downloaded the file, changed the file type, and PRESTO.

You opened the file in a browser - and you are seeing the lines of code.
  17. SepticSkeptic

SepticSkeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice timing. :lol3 :clap

I am traveling north toward Bend from Orange County, in Reno atm. I've been thinking of heading up thru Soldier Meadows, but north of that I had no idea what would be a good route. This helps a ton, thanks for posting it.

Looks like the stretches between fuel are shorter on the northern half. I'm on a TE610. 3.2gal stocker, with a 10L MSR Dromedary Bag, and 2 1.5L Primus cans as backup for the long stretches. About 6gal total, but a pain to pack along with all the other crap, gonna be camping off the bike for a few months. I'm already carrying quite a load so I'd prefer to ditch some weight. How does the northern half compare to the southern half, scenery, riding etc?
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you buy it with a smile on your face, because without SM being where it is and Jim and Kathy providing the services they do, very few of us would have had the opportunity to explore this incredible section of NV.

I would also take advantage of Countdown's tracks!

Jim in Sacramento
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call or e-mail ahead. Jim had a problem with stolen gas and keeps the tank locked. Last two times we had to wait for him to come in with the key. The meter was also broke so we had to measure gas in 1 Gal jug to my Mex2Can riders. Kathy is always fun to visit with!