the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

I've got a 4.10X18 705 on the back. Not sure if that's the same size as stock.
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to add to this.Most auto oils have friction modifiers which will cause the clutch to slip.I use Castrol 10-40 aka 4T oil.
  3. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oil wars! :lol3 I just use automobile grade oil in all my bikes. All my life. I've never had any oil-related wear or clutch problems. Just make sure the oil doesn't carry this stamp:

[​IMG]

(make sure it doesn't say "energy conserving")
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the previous owner used synthetic, I'd stick with that. Just be sure it doesn't have friction modifiers or that it is motorcycle specific. Reason is, clutch plates may slip and wear if oil is "too slippery." I use AmsOil moto oil, but hey, there's many to choose from.
  5. MorganSS

MorganSS Texan

Oddometer:
    When is a good time to change the filter, my bike only has 500 miles on it
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're going to change the oil, change the filter too. If there is gas in the oil, it will be saturated in the filter too. If there wasn't gas pooled in the bottom of the air box, there might not be gas in your oil at all. You'll have to make the call on that. Check the smell and the color of your oil. Maybe there's no gas in it at all. Biggest question: was there gas in the bottom of your air box?
  7. MorganSS

MorganSS Texan

Oddometer:
    Very minimal amount. Not pooling at all, just some moisture. I am doing a lot of easy things to get familiar with the bike and learn though. I am new to this hobby. I was previously a rc nitro racer and ours amazing how similar they are. Hell these are easier but I want to know this bike and feel comfortable by myself on a long trail ride.
  8. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always used auto oil in my bikes too, cept lately I can't find friction-modifier less auto oil in Ca for less than $5/qt. So I've switched to motorcycle oil simply b/c its the same price.
  9. AKohler883

AKohler883 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If bike was new and had 500 miles, I would change the oil per break in procedures.
    If bike sat for long periods of time, I would change the oil.
    So you have 2 reasons to change.
    Might as well do the oil filter as well.
    It is super easy on this bike.
  10. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Went to take the little bike for a ride Friday. Went around the block, came back and... flat tire. :eek1 Broke out the tire irons and tried getting the tire off but I guess I need a bigger piece o'metal. So, I took the tire to the local dealer - $40 out the door to exchange my tire w/o air for a tire w/air. :deal

Went for a ride yesterday an' what do ya' think... picked up a nail in the brandy-new tube. :baldy

Guess I'll get a couple of bigger tire irons and a couple of tubes this time. :lol3

Still - had fun riding the little bike around Tahuya and back, about ~80 miles before the flat made for a quick run home for the pick-em-up truck an' a buddy to help load it up. :freaky

...then I took the sidecar out to relieve "frustration." :1drink
  11. MorganSS

MorganSS Texan

Oddometer:
    Picked up some castrol 4T, new filter, and a spare plug. Petcock is on its way and so is a Coleman ATV Seat cover I bought off of amazon per a recomendation from 2 years ago in this thread.

I also own a small cooler, its soft sided with a hard plastic insert that is versatile enough to bungee to the rear of the bike, this saved me some coin, and there is ample room and its securely fashioned. Im planning some longer jaunts through some very beginner rate trails and unpaved marked roads and would like to know what you guys carry in your packs for day or overnight trips.

Tools
    Spare Plug
    Small container of extra fuel

Also what is the consensus on "FixAFlat" and a motorcycle, I would figure it would be a must for trail riding but havent seen it mentioned anywhere.

M
  12. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smart thinking can keep the gear you carry on your back to a minimum. For example, zip tie an extra throttle and clutch cable right next to the ones on the bike. If one snaps, your backup is already pre-strung and just needs to be bolted on.

Bare minimum if you're more than 1 hour walk to home:
    Riding partner
    spare clutch/brake/shift lever
    spare cables
    snacks
    spare water (in addition to your normal amount)
    emergency blanket
    rain gear
    flare (good for starting a fire too) - can zip tie it to a fork
    21" tube (can be used on rear too) + 3 tire irons
    way to support rear wheel off the ground in case of a flat
    -----or a tire plug kit if you switch to a Tubeliss system
    spare fuel tube
    aluminum foil (great fix for a stripped shift shaft)
    bailing wire
    zip ties
    duct tape
    bicycle pump (can get these really tiny)
    flashlight

Tools:
    Vice grips
    Needle nose pliers
    regular pliers
    channel locks
    #1 & #2 phillips and flathead screwdrivers
    spark plug wrench
    8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21mm wrench/sockets
    spoke wrench
    axle wrench if not one of the above sizes
    metric allen wrench set
    rag/small pack of baby wipes

Think that's a pretty good start.
  13. Highaltidude

Highaltidude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's what my wife and I carry between our factory tool boxes, fender bags on both bikes, and my saddle bags:

Registration and proof of insurance
    Suzuki spark plug socket
    Suzuki phillips screw driver
    NGK DR7EA (hotter - better for high altitude w stock jetting) spark plug
    Swiss army knife
    Suzuki wrenches 17 and 19 mm

Registration and proof of insurance
    Emergency money ($15)
    NGK DR8EA (normal) and NGK DR7EA (hotter - better for high altitude w stock jetting) spark plugs

Small first aid kit
    Lots of spare bungie cords
    Compass
    Parachute cord
    Glow stick
    Storm matches in waterproof case
    3 1/4” screw driver for fuel mixture screw
    Kick stand pad
    12g flare gun

Toilet paper
    Tow rope
    Siphon hose
    Storm matches in waterproof case
    Trash bags
    Granola bars (3)
    Flashlight (the kind that doesn’t need batteries)
    “Rope” saw

Tire irons (2)
    Tire plug kit
    Tube repair kit
    CO2 inflator and three CO2 cartridges
    O-ring master link
    Spare valve stem cores and core tool
    Duct tape
    Bailing wire
    Zip ties
    A couple of fuel line size hose clamps
    DR200 owner’s manual
    Folding 10” tree saw
    Spare (bent) clutch lever.
    Hack saw blade
    Craftsman wrench set 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 mm
    Reversible screwdriver
    Crescent wrench
    5 Torx drivers
    6 Allen drivers
    Set of 5 pics
    1/4” drive socket set (could use a 3” extension.....)
    Needle nose pliers
    Pliers
    Wire cutters
    A couple of red rags

Chuck
  14. MorganSS

MorganSS Texan

Oddometer:
    Cool! Im on the right track then as far as tools and gear.

Im quite the survivalist/prepper in my other life, so this is right up my alley. For right now I wont need to worry about a lot of the overnight stuff JUST YET since I wont be that far removed from civilization but the basics are already bundled and ready to go.

Any opinions on the FixAFlat for the kit? It would be for about 15 miles at most.

thanks!
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I don't think fix a flat works very well with tubes. Better to carry spare tubes and tires irons with you. I've also heard that natural rubber tubes are better at deflating slowly with a puncture, while synthetic rubber tubes tend to just split and deflate instantly.
  16. MorganSS

MorganSS Texan

Oddometer:

that makes sense, I kind of wish I could practice in my garage on a tube swap, Im sure thats a load of fun in the field:puke1
  17. bross

Oddometer:
    It's a good idea to practice in your garage, using only the tools you normally carry. You'll out real quick what works and what doesn't and what you really need to carry. A trail jack helps for tire changes...

[​IMG]
  18. MorganSS

MorganSS Texan

Oddometer:

I can appreciate sound advice, I look forward to setting up some nice day trips when I have the time to ride.
    Im having a hard time finding any other like minded riders out here though, its absolutley beautiful where I live and its a popular biker destination, but more of the road going variety. I doubt there are many 200s out here if any, and I want to stay off the highways and stick to the backroads. Im sure I will find my niche when I start getting more comfortable with longer rides.
  19. bross

Oddometer:
    Day rides are good. My wife owns a boutique with our biggest selling months being tourist season so we're chained to the store for the summer, but with longer days we still do lots of exploring. We're like you, fortunate to have lots of good riding in our back yard so we don't have to ride for hours to get to the good stuff. All within an hour of our place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Highaltidude

Highaltidude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last week the wife and I took our DR200s to Dinosaur National Monument, in Colorado and Utah..... We had been on Harpers Corner Road before and the views were amazing. This time on the dual sports we were able to take the road to the bottom.

Here's a shot of the road heading down.....

[​IMG]

Its pretty steep but nothing a nice 4x4 couldn't do.....

Once the road flattens out a bit you drop into Sand Canyon. You just had to have faith that the road would go through to the other end because as you were riding, all you saw was the rock on either side of you.....

[​IMG]

Eventually the 2,000ft decent ends at where the Yampa and Green rivers converge. Steamboat rock is photographed pretty often.....

[​IMG]

On the second day we rode from the Colorado Visitors Center to the Utah (main) Visitors Center by using jeep trails and dirts roads in the Park. The Park Ranger said she didn't think we'd be able to get through one section..... :-)

Gonna hit Moab before April is over!!!

Chuck