City Navigator Europe NT 2013.20 (Download and trip planning.)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by M1Tanker, Sep 7, 2012.

1. M1Tanker

M1Tanker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after months of not doing anything with my Zumo 660 I decided that I needed to check for map updates because I’m planning a trip next week to a small town outside Budapest, Hungary. I down loaded through brute force and ignorance City Navigator Europe NT 2013.20 - Map+P+3D, July 12 to my Zumo 660 and to my desktop computer (NOTE: I have Garmin Lifetime Updater.) I updated the Zumo 660 software on the Garmin website. I also updated the BaseCamp software as well. Additionally I installed BMW Motorrad Dealer Database/Update 7.00.

After doing all of the above I verified on the Zumo 660 through “Tools” then “Settings” then “Map” then “Map Info” that the following was installed:
    - CN Europe NT 2013.20 3D
    - BMW Motorrad
    --Worldwide v.7.00
    - CN Europe NT 2013.20
    --Western Europe

I then went outside to put the destination address near Budapest where I will be traveling. The Zumo couldn’t find it. I panned across the map and zoomed to the town near Budapest where I will be going and there were no streets shown.

I came back into the house and reconnected the Zumo to the computer. I then went to Garmin MapInstall. It then asked me to select a portion of the European map that I wanted to install onto the device (Zumo). I first tried to grab all of the Maps from Central Germany, where I live, to my destination. MapInstall stated that I didn’t have enough space on the Zumo to download all the maps. I then decided to just download the maps near my destination. That seemed to work.

I then re-verified verified on the Zumo 660 through “Tools” then “Settings” then “Map” then “Map Info” that the following was installed.
    - BMW Motorrad
    -- Worldwide v.7.00
    - CN Europe NT 2013.20
    -- WIENER NEUSTADT, OSTERREICH, BUDAPEST, MAGYARORSA
    -- Western Europe

I then went back outside to put the destination address near Budapest where I will be traveling. The Zumo then found it.
    Here are my questions:

- So even though my Zumo states that I have CN Europe 2013.20 3D I really don’t have all of Europe. Is that correct?

- Apparently I have almost no space remaining on my Zumo 660. So if I have another destination that I want to go to, not in the area that I currently have downloaded, then I must delete some maps. How do I do that?

- It appears that if I go on a long trip through different regions of Europe I’m going to have to bring a laptop. Is that correct?

Thanks.
  2. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect your zumo doesn't have enough internal memory to load all of Europe into. I know that here in North America, a lot of gps units don't have enough memory now. Garmin has been adding a lot of data to their mapsets, so we're either forced to load only a portion of North American into the internal memory, or load all of North American onto an SD card. (Best to use a 4GB card) The SD card option is a little slower when operating your gps, but that's the tradeoff.

I'd try loading Europe onto an SD card and see what happens. You may have to erase, or replace the present CN Europe in the internal memory with an older version so that your zumo doesn't get confused by having the same map on an sd card as well as in it's internal memory too.
    After loading to an sd card, go to your map info page and check off the mapsets you want displayed.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers from the other side of the pond. :1drink
  3. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    Hill Climber,

Thanks.

With regard to the micro-SD card, is there a size limit that the Zumo 660 can take?

For instance if I wanted a larger micro-SD card that 16GB, 32GB or 64GB for instance, is there an issue that the Zumo 660 won't read it?

What about the micro-SD cards that state Ultra, HC, or ExtremePro?

Thanks again.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Your zumo 660 has plenty of internal storage for the CNEU maps - they have actually gotten small in size over the last two years due to better compression.

Firstly, remove the partial CNEU maps you just installed (gmapsupp.img):
    -- WIENER NEUSTADT, OSTERREICH, BUDAPEST, MAGYARORSA
    -- Western Europe

Then reboot your zumo and make sure your CNEU 2013.20 maps are ENABLED. The CNEU 2013.20 3D are only 3D data to supplement the street data but it needs to be there. Try finding your Budapest location again.

Cheers,
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Garmin says 32GB - but some have tried 64GB and it worked but the µSD Card has to be formatted FAT32 and Windows PC's will not do that without special application. Stay below 32GB and no worries. You don't need the faster read/write cards that are designed for digital Cameras. The zumo can't use speeds faster than Class 2. You want a µSD Card between 8GB and 32GB labeled SDHC someplace. The SDHC tells you it is High Capacity spec.

Cheers,

Cheers,
  6. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    Dan, Thanks,

I deleted gmapsupp.img from the Zumo 660. I then disconnected the Zumo 660 from my computer. It powered up and then I powered it down and powered it up again outside. On the Zumo 660 I went through “Tools” then “Settings” then “Map” then “Map Info” stated that the following was installed:
    - BMW Motorrad
    --Worldwide v.7.00
    - CN Europe NT 2013.20
    --Western Europe

I'm not sure how to ensure what maps are enabled.

I then went to "Where To?" then "Recently Found." The Zumo did remember the address near Budapest so I pressed on it. It took awhile to calculate the route but it did do it. However, when I panned on the Zumo to my destination there were no longer any roads, which isn't helpful.

Did I do something incorrect?
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry. I'm a little slow today. I just noticed that your installed CNEU is for WESTERN EUROPE and I believe that Hungary is in Eastern Europe in Garmin's world.

Was your original CNEU for only Western EU? If it was FULL EU then you should try to reinstall all of CNEU using MapInstall.

Cheers,
  8. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    Dan,

I checked the CD that came with my Zumo 660 and it is titled "City Navigator Europe NT 2011." I then went on the Garmin website to verify what the coverage was. The following is the image that displays the coverage:

[​IMG]

The image indicates that Hungary has the detailed coverage but that doesn't appear to be the case on my Zumo. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Does the mapping shown above exceed the drive space on the Zumo? If it does and the hard drive space on the Zumo 660 is 32GB then it isn't going to fit on a micro SD card either.

I'm confused. I need to get this figured out.
  9. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a quick google search and found that your zumo has an internal memory of 4 GB, not 32. That should be lots of memory to hold all of Europe. You won't need to utilize an SD card.

(I went back to your original post and realized that you're usinig Base Camp, and not Mapsource. I don't use Base Camp as I believe it only allows you to download maps directly to your gps. Mapsource allows you to download to both the gps and your computer, which, in my opinion, allows you more independant flexiblilty to transfer mapsets, routes and waypoints to your gps.)

If you've deleted the image on your gps (gmapprom.img) then confirm the remaining space available on your gps by plugging in your gps to your computer, turn the gps on, the click on My Computer, then right click on your gps and display Properties. That should show what the total memory size is and the remaining memory left. If you have 2 GB or more remaining available, then you should have enough remaining to hold all of Europe.

I don't know what the mapset Western Europe is in your first post. Perhaps you downloaded all of Europe and Western Europe (different versions?.... 2011 and 2013.20?) It may be labelled as gmaprom2.img? If so, that may be why you don't have enough internal memory. I should've said in my original post to save the images on your computer before deleting it. This allows the ability to put the image back onto your gps rather than downloading from garmin again. If you have this gmaprom2.img, back it up, then delete it from the gps. Download all of Europe again, set your settings in your gps to show More Detail and see what happens.

If you still have problems, give garmin a call. They seem to be more than willing to help us frustrated users get through issues.

Hope this helps a bit.
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Your zumo only has about 3GB of user space available which is more than enough for the CNEU maps. If you have a µSD Card installed, Using MapInstall, select Custom and then select CNEU and MapInstall should divide CNEU up between internal and the µSD Card IF there isn't room for the complete map in internal storage.

I'm still perplexed as to how you only got CNEU Western Europe 2013.20 installed. This is actually a CN product. Anyway, do not delete the CNEU product that is on the zumo now. This can cause additional problems if not done correctly.

I don't recall from our previous exchanges, are you using Windows or Mac?

Cheers,
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I think M1Tanker miss read the spec's which are 3.2GB of user storage. As for your thoughts on BaseCamp, you're a bit mistaken. BaseCamp completely supports maps loaded on the computer as well as reading the factory installed GPS map. When using MapInstall, maps are installed on the GPS and external (SD) storage in a much more flexible manner than MapSource can do. But, one needs to be using the latest version of MapInstall. And, quite frankly, the Mac version of MapInstall is a much better product than the Windows version currently.

Cheers,
  12. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    Dan,

Yes, I got my posts and your responses mixed up regarding 32GB.

I have a windows based computer.

I have updated my MapInstall.

Thanks again.
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted as to getting the rest of CNEU installed on your zumo.

Cheers,
  14. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    Well I went back into MyGarmin and then ran the Garmin Map Updater v3.1.19 and then selected Central and Eastern Europe. The current estimated install time is 2 hours. I'll see what happens.

I have flailed around with Garmin Map Updater, Garmin MapInstall, and Garmin Lifetime Updater. If this works I'm relatively sure I can't repeat what I have done.

Is there any reason why this needs to be so painful?
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If you have purchased Lifetime Map Updates and you installed Lifetime Map Updater, you won't have to repeat this. I had no issues with last couple of LM updates - they were "automatic".

Cheers,
  16. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    About 2 hours later. I disconnected the Zumo 660 and took it outside and turned it on. On the Zumo 660 I went through “Tools” then “Settings” then “Map” then “Map Info” stated that the following was installed:
    - BMW Motorrad
    --Worldwide v.7.00
    - CN Europe NT 2013.20
    -- Central & Eastern Europe (NOTE: Previously it stated Western Europe.)

I then looked to my destination (panning to it) outside Budapest and the road was listed. Success, I suppose, but I had achieved that earlier by using MapInstall and just grabbing those areas of the map (WIENER NEUSTADT, OSTERREICH, BUDAPEST, MAGYARORSA.) I then panned to London to see if there were detailed streets there. There were no details below the M road level. So it appears that I lost the Western Europe detail.

I checked my computer and it states that the Zumo has 1.32GB free of 3.65GB and that the µSD Card in the Zumo has 1.83GB free of 1.83GB. I'm planning on getting a larger µSD Card tomorrow but I'm not sure how it is going to help me get all of the CN Europe 2013.20 on the Zumo. Nothing is on the µSD Card now and I don't recall seeing an option to add anything to it.

Oh, I have purchased the Garmin LifeTime Updater.

You have to be smarter than the equipment you operate and I'm not sure that I am at this point.
  17. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to hear to have success, although somewhat limited. At least you will be able to do your trip with some guidance :1drink

When you have the time, give garmin a call. They should be able to help get all of Europe onto your unit. After all, you paid for it, you should be able to use it.....

I don't think you need a larger SD card. All of CN Europe should fit onto your gps.

Regarding Mapsource/BaseCamp... I guess I'm old school. I also use topo maps not created by garmin, and have had to use a modified version of Mapsource to get these to work. The modified version works well with the latest CN North America too. I don't know if BaseCamp would work with all the maps I have.

Cheers !!
  18. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I just read through this thread, and the ignorance and 'just plain' wrong information makes it give me a headache. I would like to step in and correct but I fear it is hopeless. Maybe after I have a cup of coffee tomorrow.

Good Luck, and please to those that don't know what they are talking about, please stop posting.
  19. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow.... :eek1
    Hope your headache goes away
  20. M1Tanker

Oddometer:
    Well yesterday I bought a 8GB Class 4 HC µSD Card because that is what the PX had. After installing the µSD Card into the Zumo I went back into MyGarmin and ran the Garmin Map Updater v3.1.19 and selected Full Coverage of Europe. It asked me if I wanted to save it to the SD card and I did.

When the dowload was finally completed after hours I powered up the Zumo 660 outside. I again went through “Tools” then “Settings” then “Map” then “Map Info” stated that the following was installed:
    -- ALL
    - BMW Motorrad
    --Worldwide v.7.00

I also verified my trip destination outside of Budapest and it was there with all the streets. I also panned to London and all of the streets were there.

Also, my computer indicates that the Zumo has 2.24GB free of 3.65GB and that the µSD Card has 4.78GB free of 7.41GB.

Thanks DRTBYK.

Hill Climber, I have yet to contact Garmin but I will when I return.