Living with a Husky TE510!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Yellow Pig, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I just got rid of my trusty, old BRP and picked up a 2010 Husky TE510.

[​IMG]

I will chronicle my life with this new bike and let you know both the good and the bad.

The reason for the switch was that one the BRP was getting a bit tired and I was getting tired of no e-star, two, and more significantly, was that I picked up a KTM 950 SE at the beginning of the 2009 riding season. With the SE in the stable I found that it could do 80-90% of what the BRP could, so there was too much overlap between the two bikes. I found that I needed a smaller more trail worthy bike that would be more suitable for technical terrain, but still be street legal. The TE fit the bill and on top of this was EFIed so i would not have to fool around w/ jetting given the typical 6000ft/2000meter elevation changes encountered here in Colorado on an average ride.

Since I picked up the bike we have had an arctic cold front here in Colorado that has prevented me from actually riding the bike. The only thing I have been able to do is put a few breaking miles around town and de-smog/power up the bike.

Initial impressions: The husky seems very well make, with great components and a good fit and finish. Initially it seems much vibe-er than mu old XR which was butter smooth. I hoping that it gets better once the engine has had a chance to break in. The stock Brembo brakes are phenomenal. Great stopping power and feel. I love how the bike was made to run in race mode. All the additional stuff was designed to be easily removed. Even the OEM exhaust, a top of the line Arrow is a great piece of gear that will not need to be replaced w/ an aftermarket exhaust.

Now this just needs to go away so I can actually ride the thing:

[​IMG]

More to follow...

:thumb PROS:
    - I love the look of the bike
    - Fit and finish seems great
    - Comes w/ quality components
    - Incredible brakes
    - Easy to work on, seems like Husky tried to use the same size bolts as much as possible
    - Easy to de-smog/power up
    - Shop manual comes w/ the bike on a USB key

:puke1 CONS:
    - Small tank (1.9 gal), the only aftermarket tanks a 3 gal IMS which with an average off-road MPG of 40-45 miles netts a range of 120-135 miles.
    - So far the bike is a bit vibe-er that the BRP, but that could get better once the bike is broken in.
    - Exhaust is extremely hot where it enters the muffler. Needs to be wrapped w/ header wrap to keep from burning pants and melting air-box.
    - Gear shifter lever is ridiculously short (1.5 inches shorter than you average one)
    - Foot-pegs are small and look like they are a cheap cast material prone to shattering
    - OEM Arrow exhaust is way too loud for trail riding
    - OEM radiators are very exposed and vulnerable. Not factory protection what so ever.

Planned Up-Grades:

- Uptite skid plate
    - Cycra Handguards
    - Heated Grips
    - Pro Grip Rally grips
    - IMS 3 gallon Tank
    - Motosportz rear disk guard
    - Zip Ty Gear shifter lever
    - Zip Ty case saver
    - Fastway foot pegs
    - Taller gearing (will start w/ 14/47 or 15/47. Stock is 13/47)
    - TE610 rear rack subframe
    - PMB rear rack
    - OFG racing radiator guards
    - Husky dB killer insert
    - Power Commander w/ Autotune

Initial Set Up:

The Husky comes from the factory w/ ever thing you need to get it running right. The so called Husky power-up kit comes with a plug for the O2 mid pipe sensor (remember the bike has EFI), a resistor plug for the EFI that switches the mapping to race mode, a free flowing air filter basket, and a removable catalytic converter situated in the mid pipe.

Husky Power-Up:

1- Remove air filter restrict or and replace w/ open basket.

This is what the Husky comes w/ from the factory. It's amazing the bike is even able to run w/ such low air flow. This must be how they manage to be 50 state street legal, pass CARB and Euro-3 restrictions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So you get rid of that nonsense and put this in:

[​IMG]

Ahhh! Much better!

I opted to keep the flash-back screen in the air-box for now. I need to see how the bike runs first.

[​IMG]

2- Remove the exhaust end piece and slide out the cat converter:

[​IMG]

This is where it sits in the mid pipe:

[​IMG]

3- The Husky had this strange octopus attacking it so I whacked it off w/ a hammer and threw it away:

[​IMG]

Gotta make sure you plug this thingy up (yes that is a technical term):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4- Take out the O2 sensor and plug the hole:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5- Once the O2 sensor is taken care of the spot where it was plugged into the EFI system needs to be taken car of. Husky provides this nifty plug w/ a built in resistor that tells the system the O2 sensor is no longer there and to get on w/ race mode.
    [​IMG]

WARNING: George from Up Tite Racing just told me that the moment you plug the race mode adaptor into the bike and turn it on it puts a code in the ECU which void your warranty!!!!

I wish my dealer had mentioned it or it was written in the manual. After all the bike comes from the factory w/ all these upgrade components.

Oh well, gotta pay to play.

[​IMG]

Thats it now you are ready to roll.

I did a initial oil change at 35 miles. The oil looked pretty rough for such short mileage and there were a few metal flakes in the oil screens, plus a chunk of head gasket came out of the oil pan.

Oil changes are super easy:

- Remove drain plug
    - Clean magnetic drain plug
    - Remove 2 screws that hold oil screen #1 on left side of bike
    - Remove Allen head plug that hold oil screen #2 on left side of bike
    - Remove oil filter on right side of bike
    - Close all holes
    - Add oil (1700 ml for oil & filter change) and go
  2. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    very jealous. Love the new huskys, keep us posted :clap
  3. moto_loco

moto_loco poser extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Great write up on your new Husky 510. They look ready to pounce...
    just like that sweet BRP you have.

I learned a few things I would have never known otherwise. Thanks for taking time to post it.
  4. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    I didn't see the Uptite "Y" fitting, it's a good idea to have, more even cooling between the rads & can't melt (never heard of one melting BTW)
    If you haven't read it already, here's a great link for 510's secrets.

SCOTT SUMMERS: ME & MY HUSKY | News | Dirt Bike Magazine

P.S. congrats on getting the "Wolf" :freaky

P.S.S. A great Husky community with friendly people & loads of Husky experience can be found here

Cafe Husky
  5. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Owned a few including 06 TE 510 & 07 TE250. Bottom line if the 650 R had an E-start there would be no better bike on the planet!!
  6. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    No need for it the 2010 Husky has several imporvements:

- Kayaba vs Marzocchi
    - 15mm shorter swing arm
    - Frame reinforced at critical points
    - New more flexible IPD Graphics and plastics
    - Rear LED tail light
    - New more powerful headlight
    - New high flow water pump
    - Last but not least a factory Y fitting

[​IMG]

I beleive there is a factory TSB that allows you to retrofit the upgraded pluming to certain model years.

PS I'm danbartol on Cafe Husky & danbart on Husky Talk and TT!
  7. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Sweet :D

Welcome to the club :thumb
  8. Jrmobb

Jrmobb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrat and welcome to the husky family! So far I love my 09.

It will be interesting to see if the FI will still compensate for altitude even when in race mode since there is no o2 sensor.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The O2 sensor is narrow band and ony works in closed loop mod. Closed loop mod ony works in partial steady throttle. At all other times (which are many) the altitude compensation is accomplished by the airbox pressure sensor.
    In other words, there should not be any problem at all.
  10. Jrmobb

Jrmobb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But when in open loop mode doesn't the bike not read sensors it just uses its pre programed settings kinda like a carb?

I would like to try power v with the auto tune setup. just hard to justify the price when my bike seems to run good now.
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even a carb has an inherent air pressure compensation mechanism, provided by the ventouri effect. In motorcycle fuel injection (modern cars are closed loop at all times), this is done by the air pressure sensor. I doubt that open loop mode would be able to work without this taken into account by the CPU at all times. Maybe someone more knowledgable could tell us more.

Autotune is a great idea if you change setup frequently and dont want to pay for dyno every time. Since you are fine, better spend the money on tyres! Unless of couse you are a gadget addict, in which case you will get it sooner or later anyway!
  12. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the O2 sensor is not the primary means of compensating for altitude - as noted the MAP sensor and if it has one, barometric pressure sensor will manage that just fine. Until recently most street bikes did not use O2 sensors and they still manage to compensate for altitude just fine:)

The TE looks like a fantastic bike. I rode the SM510 around a bit and quite liked it. Great power, sharp handling etc. It also vibrated a bit, but not terrible by any means and not an abnormal amount as compared to competition oriented 450's.
  13. vwluv10338

vwluv10338 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most EFI systems are only in closed loop when crusing or at idle. The vehicle will use the feedback from the O2 when crusing to fine tune the standard map programmed in the ECU. This is mainly for fuel economy and emissions. Unplugging it will not hurt anything and it will just be running off the standard maps based on RPM and MAP sensor data (load).

E
  14. 269gs

269gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the Yamaha wr250r on your radar at all? Ill be anxiously awaiting a comparison between your old Xr and the new Husky as I am in the same boat you were in.
  15. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    I read that on the TE310 you cannot kick start the bike with a dead flat battery because the EFI primes only via the battery and not the magneto like of FI Only MX bikes.

Is that the same for the TE510? That would be a shame...
  16. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    The R2 is a great bike and had it come in the 450cc version it would be in my garage as we speak., but as it is it is way too underpowered for me. I'm 210 lbs and live at 5500ft and do all my riding between 7000 & 12000 feet. They say that you looks 3% of your HP for every 1000ft of elevation.

So I start off with 16.5% less power and work my way down to 36% less horse power. The R2 has approximately 25.2 HP to begin w/. This means I would be riding w/ a 15 HP bike. I might as well walk!

I read that the R2 feels just a bit weaker than a DRZ400, which is what I once had and got rid of cause it was gutless. Don't get me wrong the DRZ or in my case the KLX400 was one of the best bikes I have ever had, but it just lacked power.
  17. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Don't know and don't plan to find out anytime soon. Although if these single digit temps continue I might just have to.
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    My 08 TE510 has served me well. With over 7600 miles and still not requiring a valve lash adjustment.

Thinking about picking up a new 2010 TE510 soon also.

I've added some of the items you will be in the near future:
    Arrow Exhaust and power-up kit
    Zumo GPS
    Cycra hand guards
    3 gl tank with factory side panels
    TE610 rear rack
    Acerbis aux fuel tank
    Up-Tite Skid plate and exhaust heat shield
    Roc stompa pegs
    Electro sport LED blinkers
    Baja Designs LED tail light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Jrmobb

Jrmobb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking good. That bike looks super clean for so many miles. Hope mine looks that clean when im there.

Has there been any problems in all those miles?
  20. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Nice! :clap