Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    not a bad idea.
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Not a big fan of shock socks so....I'd sooner put one of those Acerbis flaps on before I put a shock sock on. YMMV....
  3. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. IndyTiger800

IndyTiger800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could splice the switch harness into the controller. Or run the control wires to the hot side of the harness before the relay, and not get the switch.
  5. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want handguards for my roadie to block the wind and rain. I was prepared to pay for the barkbuster storms, but most places are out of stock from what I've seen.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just order some of the MUCH cheaper moose aluminum handguards with the fat bar mounts and mount them on my tiger? What am I missing here? Why are the barkbuster / touratechs so freaking expensive?

I have the moose setup on my motard CRF 450, so maybe I'll try swapping them over to see...
  6. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    My throttle stuck so bad when my heat was on it acted like a throttle lock. I placed a small stainless washer between grip and hand guard mount, problem solved.
  7. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I'm really not either. All Ohlins is lifetime warranty so that helps. I already have the Acerbis flap. I'm going to roll with that for a while unless I see a need for more protection.
  8. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the Ascerbis, but the aluminum bar was hitting the brake reservoir, don't know about the Mooses (Meese?)
  9. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll just add a quick comment. I actually researched the whole hand guard issue at length before I bought my Barkbusters. I couldn't figure out why BB through TwistedThrottle were so much more than buying from BB.

I emailed BB and they spelled it out for me. Basically the Tiger has a different bar contour along with the placement of its controls so all the normal configurations don't match up. BB designed a special set to simply bolt up to the Tiger bars. That's what you're paying for.

I bit the bullet and bought them and it was worth every penny. I also got the bar end weights which are awesome too but did require me to purchase some additional bolts. I'll try to elaborate more later.

p3
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    I have bark busters on my tiger and I completely, utterly HATE them. They don't fit unless you bend them a bit here and there, and then they are tight as buggery and require moving the banjo on the master brake cylinder -- no answer for the kink in the clutch cable. You can either run your levers too high or too low or else wedge the clutch cable over the mount.

Perhaps the fact that they suck on Tigers is why there is this "special set". DO NOT BUY THEM otherwise unless you're a short person perhaps things might line up for you then. I've been close to buying a second set of HDB guards and I'm still suffering because I don't want to throw away my investment. And I feel like I should use the Aussie product but it's hurting me let me tell you. :cry
  12. mjr

mjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Send them my way if you don't want them.........:D
  13. fbj913

Oddometer:
    mine works fine. you can move the reservoir.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    FWIW and maybe only pertinent to those seeking the extra weather protection of the bark buster storm guards over OEM and not worried about having a full aluminum brace attaching to the inner part of the handlebar, the bark buster end mount only guards work fine on the tiger and are a little cheaper. They bolt up in a few minutes.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bark...g-kit-for-6mm-or-8mm-threaded-bar-end-inserts
  15. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I put mine on with minimal effort and everything lines up pretty well. I did have to adjust the brake line a smidge, and ran left side bark buster between the clutch cable and the electrical wires. Everything seems fine to me. Did you get the "non-special set" or something?
  16. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Bark busters fit well on my (wife's) Tiger, nil adjustments required.

Very pleased with the product.

JM.
  17. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I figured as much. Just eying up the handguards between my CRF and the tiger bars, I could tell there would be interference on the left side with the cables. I know they make some of the mounts that go around the cables, but then there's the bar contour issue. In all honesty, I'll probably just go with the barkbusters. I'll just have to stay home and drink for a few weekends instead of going to the bar to justify it :D

I'd honestly probably be fine with something like this as I don't see myself going offroad.
  18. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I installed Acerbis Mutli-Concept guards. They come with large and small shields, and metal mounting hardware. Probably not as strong as HDB, but a lot cheaper than Barkbusters from Twisted Throttle. I didn't have any interference with the bike controls.
  19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters work great protecting the bike:

[​IMG]
  20. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't to happy about the BarkBuster mounts. So I threw more money at it!
    I didn't like how the clutch cable had to go up and over and if you adjusted the clutch mount below it wasn't comfortable.
    So I found some Moose racing mounts that you could buy separately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course the brake side wasn't really a problem but I needed symmetry.

[​IMG]

I need to find some better wind protection than the Barkbuster covers provide. Sometimes form doesn't provide function even with the little lip extensions in place.