World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    I was too busy trying to fend off the two tanks that steamrolled the rest of my team...lol...
  2. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I only own three main money makers (above and beyond some tier 3 and tier 2 premium tanks):
    1. T34
    2. KV-5
    3. SU-122-44

The game has progressed, and the KV-5 really didn't. It did get more armor, but its gun requires the use of a lot more Gold rounds, on average, so it isn't the money maker it once was. That list from that page may show the tanks respective income earned, on average, but I don't believe it's actual profit since the KV-5 uses Gold rounds so much more now.

But newly-introduced premiums keep seeming better and better. Some knuckle-head I platooned with this morning saw I chose a tier 7, so he chose an AMX 13 75, and thus drug my meek and small SU-122-44 into a tier ten battle. Man was I pissed off. I stopped communicating with him and the other platoon mate since I planned on just leaving, and there was no sense in leaving after saying something I'd regret... but I did play it out. I penned and damaged an ST-I and a T110E4(!), plus some Chinese tank that I'm not sure of what tirer it was, and got some points for ramming a Lorraine tank.

It's not that the SU-122-44 is over-powered ... I played conservatively and took the shots I could make. but I out-damaged my platoon mates in their 13 75 by 1000 damage points (he did something liek 160 the entire game) and T-43 (the T-43 didn't belong in that batte either).

So there is something to newer premiums I think. but I also think the Lowe should still be a great platform if one doesn't mind playing it in a very boring way every game.
  3. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Bleh, I should be playing the T28!
  4. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    I always liked the T28...
  5. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I finally hit the button to turn off "Assault" maps. It seems like every time I hop in a TD I end up with assaulting a base. I try to hang back and support, but waiting for a battle to unfold while watching no concerted effort from my team is really hard. I tend to die while not making xp nor silver.

I'm pretty much running the SU100 and T25at to grind for xp. I only have 300,000 xp to goto unlock the T92 as well:rofl

36% win rate last night in 11 games.:cry
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually like these games....after you win you seem like you have done something.

On a side note I think they could make the assault and encounter battles so much better....move the "base" around. There are about 3-4 different places to put the base...it would add a bit of change to the matches...and I think would be easy to program.
  7. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I like em too when I'm playing a tank, but they suck donkey balls when having to attack with a TD.
  8. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    New desktop background at home:
    [​IMG]
  9. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the stats for the top tanker on the OPFOR... How in the world is that possible?

[​IMG]

I love playing the Hetzer, except for the money aspect of running gold only when you resupply ammo...

[​IMG]

1800 damage in a tier 4.... :clap
  10. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    And the second guy, and the guy in the Super Pershing......IMHO, you have to try to lose games to be that bad. The other possibility is that they're people that regularly AFK in battles.
  11. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is that bad....you just hang back and as long as your team does what it is suppose to do you can do some heavy damage.

I have just got the big gun on the Ferdi I was making kills from 600+m with the thing....I don't think they ever saw me.....but I do know what you mean if you get a team that thinks you should go first because you have the big gun....well it just does not work that way.
  12. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    1/5 today. some really outstanding teams. I'm saving money by not getting hardly any shots off before being destroyed. As such I am actually in the black by 4200 silver.
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So I'm about to unlock the OBJ 708 and I'm trying to decide what to do with my kick-arse Russian TD crew that just unlocked their second perk; leave them in the ISU or move them to the 708?

ISU - Tier 8
    704 - Tier 9
    Advantage: ISU - can fight lower tier stuff.

ISU - BL10 top gun
    704 - BL10 top gun
    Advantage: draw - both can do the same damage

ISU - rotation 26deg/s
    704 - rotation 19deg/s
    Advantage: ISU - turns faster (important with no turret)

ISU - top speed: 43km/h
    704 - top speed: 37km/h
    Advantage: ISU - faster

ISU: 1010 HP
    704: 1600 HP
    Advantage: 704 (though with these things you don't want to get shot period as they are both flimsy)

ISU - view range 370m
    704: view range 390m
    Advantage: 704

...which brings me to the question:

Why would I want to go from the Tier 8 ISU-152 to the Tier 9 OBJ-704 :scratch

Does/has anyone owned both who can tell my what the stats don't say - is the OBJ better than the ISU to play in any way or is it just a "grind tank" to get to the OBJ 268 ?
  14. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    From what I can see, it's a grind tank to get to Tier 10. The advantage of it is that it can never be bottom tier. The disadvantage is that it doesn't get to club Tier 6 seals. My question to you is, do you really want to start a totally new crew on a Tier 9 tank? I understand your thought of keeping the ISU, it is fun to play...but I wouldn't want to run either of them with a crew that didn't have at least the Camo perk completed. I'm going to run my crew up and grind out the 704, mainly because I refuse to spend the cash required to convert the xp to bypass it. With the lower Russian TD's on sale this week, I'm probably going to buy a SU-85 and grind a second crew back to 100%+100% camo to either buy back the ISU and run it later, or to try on the second Russian TD line. In my experience, the higher you go, the more important it is to have a trained crew with multiple skills/perks if you want to have sucess. For reference, my 4 out of my 5 ISU crew will be well into their 3rd perks before they get onto the 704, and the 5th will be right there, maybe just started, depending on how much I run my 122-44.
  15. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    You missed some stuff.

ISU - 90mm @ 90° = 90mm effective
    704: 120mm @ 45° = ~170mm effective
    Advantage: 704 repels front fire from many tier 7 and 8, ISU cannot repel fire from 6 and 7

ISU - 0.41m BL-10 accuracy
    704 - 0.39m BL-10 accuracy
    Advantage: 704 more successful in sniper role than ISU

Also, your numbers for the ISU and Obj704 traverse numbers don't line up with the wiki?
  16. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does this happen? I saw this 3 times toady with the same Clan, What?, in a battle with multiple platoons... one earlier had 3 platoons on the same team from them.

[​IMG]

I really like the Hellcat, but I don't want to train another crew when I move up... :huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    My last clan was what? clan, and we used to count in to battles a lot. Most successful clans do it, but it's a crap-shoot to end up on the same team, or to end up on opposite teams.

---

I trained up a new cre for the Hellcat since i needed the crew so bad to keep moving up the ranks. Yeah, it took time, and the occasional triple-training for crew weekend (or two?) helped. All I really need on a Hellcat crew is camo for all, so that doesn't take too long. Beyond that I'd go for a few other things, but camo was most important for Hellcat for my style.
  18. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Some guys just are't the type-A personality that I am with games (I'm really not in real life, but in some games... I take it too far). If you jump a few clans, like I have (I might be becoming the king of jumping clans at WoT, lol), eventually you'll find some really good folks who just lke to settle down to an evening of WoT and a glass of wine to relax. And then another glass of wine, and then another. I'm sure there are beer-guys drinking and playing out there, too. Nothing wrong with it, but while the friendly banter and discussions were certainly welcome, I eventually chose to leave such clans to try to platoon with more focused players.

Truthfully, though, wouldn't it be great to just get nearly drunk each evening and just play tanks without caring? Sounds lke a healthier way of living, or approach to life. But I'm an American, so I take my war gaming seriously, lol.
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Just how noticeable are skills & perks?

I'm trying different tactics with my ISU-152. Instead of running a rammer / cammo net / binocs, I'm going to run rammer / gun laying drive / vents.
    I find I'm rotating it a bunch (it has very little barrel traverse) so camo and binocs are not being used a lot due to the 3 second stationary pause required.

...on top of that, I'm going to turn on Brothers In Arms as my 100% 2nd perk.

According to the stats... the combination of Vents and BIA have the following effects on the ISU:

RoF: 3.51 to 3.82 (rpm)
    Aim: 3.26 to 3.12
    Accuracy: .46 to .44
    Traverse: 26deg/sec to 28.3 deg/sec

....the question is - how noticeable are these things?
    When you are talking about 0.14 seconds difference on aiming for example... can you really notice this (compared to the time when you have a full 25% increase in vision for example - which is huge).

It seems like a lot of resources tied up (5 crew members in BIA and a slot in the tank for vents) for very little gain....

You guys with more experience in vents and bia - do you notice it?

tia :freaky

:lurk
  20. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am loving the Hellcat today! :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best part was at the beginning of the game both the T49 drivers asked how I liked the Hellcat... they stuck with me and we helped me dominate the round, there were times that I was in front of them and shooting the enemy tanks while they were shooting at the 49's, I dunno if they saw me or what now that my crew is at 93% camo.