Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Dammo if I had known I might get some riding in I would have scheduled things differently. We're only on Oahu for the flights in and out of Kona. Hawaiian singletrack would be incredible.
  2. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a sunday church service near WIakiki. Outside service would be awsome also! Thanks.
  3. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    I got idea! I can do Hana loop on scooter! :evil
  4. Bald Kirk

Bald Kirk Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer:
    I believe every Sunday morning at 10:30am and in the evenings at 5pm (could be mistaken with this tiime) they hold service on the beach not too far from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The evening service seems more popular for the beautiful sunset a little after 6pm this time of year.

Aloha!
  5. squeakyB

squeakyB n00b

Oddometer:
  6. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Sorry Bald Kirk, posted under my son's username because he never logs off!
    Thanks, Bensgone
  7. Bald Kirk

Oddometer:

You might have seen us posting about Tantalus Drive. The road twists and turns up and down the mountains above Honolulu. Spectacular views from the road or the lookout at Pu'u Ualakaa Park.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/tantalus_lookout.htm

This is one of the things on my list for visitors when they come to visit.

Aloha!
    Baldness
  8. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help! Soooooo what else is on your must do list? We have done the usual tourist stops in past visits. We plan to pay respects at Pearl harbor and have a snorkel trip out of Wionia with the swap meet in there somewhere.
    Bensgone
  9. Bald Kirk

Oddometer:
    Swimming with Honu is nice. Have you been to Laniekea yet?. Basically go up past the Dole plantation then continue past Haliewa on Kamehameha highway. On the left heading out of Haliewa you will see a bunch of trees and houses for a couple of miles. As soon as you can see the ocean again that is Laniekea. Try and park all the way down on the right at the dirt pull off parking space area because the turtles are right across the street on the sand. The turtles come to this beach to make babies and get sun tans kinda like some of our visitors. Then the females swim about 1500 miles round drip to lay eggs and come back.

http://www.turtles.org/laniakea.htm

You can then continue clockwise over to the Crouching Lion Inn at 51-666 Kamehameha Hwy in Kaaawa.

Have fun!
    Kirk
  10. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but uncle Tony the Tiger (shark) also like to swim with the turtles, yum yum.

First time you see a shark (reef or otherwise) while you're swimming...there is sure to be a brown water advisory. Just ask the nice lady snorkeling at the caves at Makaha a couple years ago.

Have fun and enjoy!
  11. bensgone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the turtle arear tip. we have been past that area before but never knew! my daughter is all about turtles when we visit so we will have to head over there. What is the transition like from the road to the sand? This year we have an elderly family member joining us, is this a good access point? I see from posts on the link that it has been a tour bus stop so i am hoping there are simple path ways.
    Thanks for all of the input, we normally just free style our way through visit (adv style) this year however we are planning for our guests and there limitations and needs. I just need the warm sun, it was almost freezing overnight here!
    Bensgone
  12. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    The approach from the road near Laniekea was pretty easy going if my memory serves me correctly. During the peak tourist season the parking area is a mad house. In the morning's before things get busy I remember it being nice and mellow. Nice easy break down the road at Chuns if you have a board and want to get your slide on. I've seen turtles on the surface and rays below the surface while in the break around there.

Enjoy your stay!
  13. bensgone

Oddometer:
    The visit is going well so far. We got here yesterday, got the cage and headed for costco. I know just what everyone plans when they are 2600 miles from home right? We have been snorkeling and spent the afternoon at the waterpark with the kids loving the weather. Might just do the north shore visit tomorow. Thanks guys for the tips!
  14. stan.riner

stan.riner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of recommendations for the North Shore.

For lunch, either Kua'aina in Haleiwa or Teds Bakery further up the coast.

kua-aina.com/main.html. There's one in town (Honolulu) also if you don't make it today.
    tedsbakery.com/

I had a chicken katsu at Teds last night and could only eat half of it. Saved the other half for lunch today. And that was after dirt biking all day and only eating a PB&J for lunch. They also have great pies and cakes. They do a lot of the islands pastries.
    Also, there's a bunch of shimp trucks up near the Kahuku shrimp farms.

Shave Ice in Haleiwa will have long lines but the kids will love it and it's really popular. They don't stay open that late so go early.
    matsumotoshaveice.com/
    aokishaveice.com

There's usually big turtles at the first beach on your left when coming out of of Haleiwa.
    portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii/Laniakea.htm
  15. Bald Kirk

Oddometer:
    Hey!

[​IMG]

Hope everyone has simply been our riding like us.

[​IMG]

Aloha!
  16. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    Aloha All kind of terrain and weather riders that twist the go fast grip to Phil Oveland's " Go fast take chances" to win theory.

Well the rainy weather has not let up for the past 60+ days here on the Big Island of Hawaii, we Rock Island Rider trail maker's have had to kick back for 5 weekends in a row sucking up long neck brewskies and downloading bag's of 1/4 thick Maui chips because our chains saws don't work under water, were hoping the folks at Motion Pro got our order for their motorcycle trail cutting chrome chain saw Snorkels with the bright orange tip so we keep track of Wayne Blyth when he dives down in the ponds section to saw away at those six 4' round stacked cris crossed logs, I wanted to leave them OEM factory nature natural but got lots of negative feed back from some electric start couch potato rider's that said they didn't have scuba gear to cope with the challenge…da pussies.

Anyhow we RIR trail cutters will be on the two stroke chain saw gas the first Sunday of January and will be out there in the rain forest every weekend for 5 months rain or shine to make sure you riders of the storms have world class trails to negotiate on the pro level of insanity conquered with the right stuff it takes from years of brewski bench racing proven techniques applied there upon.

Take note> 2012 MK200 will not require a licensed motorcycle…it is now a "run what you brung" event…that equates to 10 to 15 lb less dead weight to deal with…cool huh?

Also there will be a magazine reporters/spectators technical photo/video gnarly section right there next to the pit area so your pit crew can see if your sixth beer hero bench racing stories are true or…………not?

Though there will be time keeping sections in the first day's rain forest 100 mile course (need a watch and speedo )…the mountain will still remain "faster than the crash" to satisfy the pro WFO riders.

Note...A Forestry Approved spark arrester is mandatory!

Cool guy Riley Costa and I will be out on the course videoing the nasty technical sections, so give us the two handed Shucka sign when you see us.

Speaking of seeing, which is very important and a safety issue when fogged up goggles, rain and mud conditions are prevalent…here is the hot Rock Island Rider set up> get a weed whacker face screen, use that screen material to replace your goggle lens…I cut out the factory lextan goggle lens leaving a 1/4" wide lip around the eye port to glue the screen on… use ShoeGoo as a glue, it's tough and can take the hit's if needed…do not use window screen! it's not strong enough.

As you riders of past MK200's know, there are plenty of water hole sections and water logged boots can get uncomfortable and ware you down with leg cramps from the extra weight gained….drill a 3/8th" hole an inch back from the tip of the boots for drainage…in an endurance race every little thing you can do to get you to the finish line first counts.

Put the potato chips and brewskie's away, nows the time to start bench pressing the rear axle of your jacked up 4 door long bed dually.

See you at the 37th annual MK200 Memorial Day weekend two day's of endurance racing May 26 and 27th.

Mahalo! Big Island of Hawaii ~Rock Island Riders~

Attached Files:

17. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    Sundays Xmass day ride~~~~~~The Sun was actually shining Xmass day morning so I sprinted naked across the yard out to the shop jumping into clean riding gear, with a preloaded CamelBk I pushed the ride ready KTM out onto the mushy water logged lawn from weeks of Puna rainy days knowing todays ride will be a slippery one in my coastline jungle trails…one easy boot gets the bullet proof off road Katoom breathing as I let it idle to warm up it's user friendly neighborhood muffler packing that allows me to ride to my ass kicking wild orchid covered lava flow trail at the end of my dirt road without neighbor huhu's.

With a helmet mounted video cam recording me Bronco busting over the undulating Lava field trail parting the 4' tall grass growing amid wild purple Orchids and laced with hidden scraggly foot snatching Guava bushes following a fuzzy dark looking quick on/off visioned six inch wide tire path that has fork wide swallowing cracks and chunky block rocks and tall square edge rim denting split level lava drop inn's & out's waiting to put a tally mark on my horizontal parking score sheet if I veer off the trail a few feet…needing a zen focus to keep a fluid flow as the Broncoing Race Tech suspended KTM 200 works magic in making this a kick ass fun ride as we percolate sweat and 2 stroke smoke together through high-tech riding gear heading down to attack the Mosquito infested damp muddy slippery rock & root infested coastline jungle trails of section 2 of trail '69' where I got my whole right side mud coated from a slam down in a stinking slushy pig waller pond by a raunchy little 2" round slippery dead limb, then soon after, a big root kicked the front wheel out from under me just as I was getting attack speed momentum up to clean this up stepping root laced green mossed covered block rocks zone, got to love all the hot cumbersome riding gear in slam downs like this because I wasn't 'going faster than the crash'…

…so I got into the "go fast take chances mode" having a none crashing fluid fun on my several off road trails from HPP to Shipman ending at Kalapana where I ride the lava flow exiting off a 10' near vertical ledge drop off into the parking lot of the Village Drive Inn with a mud covered body & bike, having grass & weeds wedged in every crevasse flopping in the wind and vines all bundle wrapped up in the wheel inner hub's get lots of tourist attention that always bump starts conversations that bring out that "I had a Harley' story from old creaky walking gray haired pot bellied men and some bald headed die hard Can Am and Penton owners boost of Dick Berlson times.

After pit stop kow kow, exiting the parking lot, just to drop tourist jaw's, I gas it back up that 10' near vertical rocky face ledge getting air at the top then dropping back down on the gas to ripple quickly across the lava flow spanning lava lobe gaps and cracks in a fluid motion it takes to make good shit happen as I work my way homeward riding trail '69's system in reverse.

I don't usually stop at Pohohiki but today's pristine blue big ocean surf and Bikini clad ladies were an inviting tune up for my dirtybike old man brain for some middle appendage awareness now and then because at my age it's exceeding rare to fine a hot looking grandma using a Brembo brake shod knobby tyred carbon-fiber walker with Motion Pro and Parts Unlimited, decal's plastered all over it, Damn I know she's out there somewhere!…as I sat there in the parking lot on the KTM gazing upon a glistening Sun-ray star spangled electric blue Ocean, this older guy appears from under a shady tree, checks out my bike foe a minute and points to his Baja kitted 05 Honda CRF 450….as I politely listened, when he blurted out short story long @ 10,000 LPM's (lip movements per min) his whole racing career from tot to now 50 yrold pot/cig/beer way out of shape rider drinking a beer paused, asking me if I was a guy named Gasser? I nodded ya, he slapped his forehead yelling holy shit with hand on knee pumping up and down spinning in three circles, as I'm thinking WTF?

…he pop's back up inches from of my face wagging his pointing finger at me saying, "I've always wanted to meet you, your a legend, I've heard stories all about you" and he went on an on an on @ 10k LPM's ….I was starting to feel uncomfortable but was willing to except $100 for my autograph if he was that stoked…

…so anyhow after some exchanged benchracing he wanted to ride with me on my trails back to HPP…I said no way dude, your drinkn' beer and will DNF on the first trail…as I patted his protruding extra beer baggage pregnant lump as his arm's flailed in describing "I can ride" circles flat-out repetitively insisting he wanted to ride with me…I said Ok mah-man if you insist lets go it's getting late in the day…leaving the parking lot, he lofts the front wheel up for 100 yards…I'm thinking cool exit dud…as our right wrists spastically whack throttle slides open back and forth having fun on the smooth Hwy.

Then I suddenly brake slid to the right into my stealth trail entrance...the ride quickly changed into the soft cinder "Trail From Hell" for this 6 beer 2 cigpk benchracer as he now found himself spinning his pussy DOT nobbed tires on Ironwood needle and fern covered cinder mounds with numerous 40 to 60 ft tight spaced elevation changes having protruding chunks of a'a', with some drop inn and gas it out tight 140 degree turns…good fun rhythmic flowing 1/2 mile trail section if you stay on the gas.

…anyhow Dan, had a difficult time just 10 feet into the trail greeted by a short sharp jagged case puncturing boulder section because all my Hwy off road trails are rough hard looking stealthy entrances so no one wants to ever step a foot or tire in that direction…

…so Dan muscles & jostles his 450 Honda through the stealth rocky barrier entering ironwood trees with broken stubby limbs that need a "duck bob & weave" method to get through to keep from being punched off the seat into the rocks (duh been done that)…Oh ya…Dan was only waring a tank top and a red spray can repainted garage sale helmet sporting beat up Corinthian leather street riding boots where he showed me the blown out ShoeGooed instep of the right boot from having to periodically kick start his uncooperative 450 to life…lucky he's got a push button start bike huh…

…well that button let him down quickly within the first 100 yards with a dead battery, already whipped from just entering trail '69', several times he had to pick up that horizontal top heavy 450 Honda standing on uneven soft cinder…on his first get off I said "dude we can turn back now" …he waved me on…shootzz I drop off an 8ft vertical with a exposed rooted bottom from me spinning the knobby for momentum to get up the off camber climb section that goes around a tree and drops back down into a sharp scrotum compressing "V" that takes a hand full of throttle to get back up for three more of those roller coaster sections in a row…

Looking upward seeing Dan hesitant about dropping off the vertical lip…I said "Dude, it gets worse, no shame Brah!, we can turn back now? this is the the point of no return for 1/4 mi?" maybe he didn't hear as he stupidly dropped off at the point of no return ledge down into the exposed root bed spinning the 280 lbs Honda's worthless DOT pussy knobbed tire @ cam chain stretching rev's, he made it up the off camber section getting case wedged between tree & embankment…slumped over the bars totally exhausted gasping for breath between degrading cuss words about himself, exposing his 6th beer hero benchracing stories proved bullshit, as he panic thumbed the high-tech magic button making the always on headlight rapidly turn into the power of a one lumin yellow candle ray, "bad shit happend" with that perfect universal "shit can happen" timing factor.

Dan staled the hot twitchy motor every 50 ft making the Honda die from multiple electron sucking thumb jab's at it's voltage heart, after we both gave it all we had, short of CPR trying to kick start the dead dino back into spark induced fire breathing life, we had to push, pull, lift, tug, drag, cuss and jerk the big dead red Dinosaur up and out of the roller coster sections to a high spot on the trail so we could try to bump start the uncooperative electro chemical beast down this long slope I located as I reconed for a easier way out being it's close to sun down with Pu'u o'o Vog tainted orange Sun beams cutting low through the visible humidity among the trees, known' we ain't got time to be screwing around swatting away mosquito swarms trying to grab some breath and ending up dragging the red CRF 450 dinosaur out in the dark…I said brah! shits happening we got to wipe the shit off and get out of here before dark quickly over takes us!

This projected vociferated suggestion caused frontal lob survival thoughts to kick in for Dan and I to grunt the CRF out of it's potential cinder cemetery.

Twice Dan blew it on long down hill bump starts, we finally muscle power made it to a muddy root infested 4WD road where I whipped out a handy 15 ft long 1/4" nylon tow rope pulling the top heavy dinosaur with an over weight exhausted rider up a long section that we both swerved back and forth on violently as I searched for traction in a controlled crash mode we finely made out to pavement where the 450 over weight Din0 could rub it's pussy DOT tires hot enough to friction it's self into a tire rotating life roar from Dan being pissed off at it, revving the snot out of it for kicking his ass big time…we big time laughed about the experience, shook hands, roosting off in opposite directions into the Hawaiian sunset both being more experienced for the next Big Island of Hawaii do or die off road ride…..~~~~~…..

~When shit happens the benchracing adventure begins~

~Gasser~

Attached Files:

18. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    The line off to his Right is easier, steeper but easier without the Softball sized A'A and it's covered with soft Ironwood needles should you lose traction and/or your nerve.... You shoulda told him Santa!
  19. ksmason71

ksmason71 Mason

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a place to rent ADV bikes on Maui. All I can find is Harleys. I'm mostly going to be riding on the road unless someone has some cool trails they can show me. It'd be great if I could find maybe a GS to rent but I'm open to anything.

If you own a bike and are looking to make some cash by renting it out I'm open to that too.

I'll be there July 30th to June 8th.
  20. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    I'll be there March 2012 last week and am looking for same. Or just some cool cats to hang with while I'm on Maui. Will be there with family, so will need a break.:deal Love to ride around the island. Or just buy a fellow adv'r a beer. John