Cop shoots rider in back during traffic stop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Midnightventure, May 16, 2010.

1. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
  2. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry... thats not accidental. Once again, someone that should know better because they have the training and presumably passed the tests doing something that they know they should not.
  3. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    ...we are looking through the eyes of the cam-corder not the Officer.
    I'm not defending the Cops actions at all but, based on his angle of view, the H.D. rider could have looked like he'd just drawn a weapon and had it by his waist side, ready to fire.

I do agree with all the should have reacted differently comments based on the Cops training and what-not but; I also understand how adrenaline can make shit happen that you never intended to do.

Thinking about what's going to happen to that Cop if he finds his way into the general prison population; I think he'll get what Karma is comming his way.

All in all, what happend is the result of people being stupid on both sides of this coin.:freaky
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    No way. The idiot that lost it and ran over the curb got the cops attention, then he walked up and shot that guy in the back before the kid even had a chance to stop long enough to put his hands up. This is absolute bullshit, and that cop's whole life better be spent paying for ruining a human life. NO EXCUSE!
  5. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There is about a zillion page thread on this in CS&M. Merged with a bunch of other ILuvUMan cop threads.

Personally, I don't think the guy ran. Police car lights came on a whole 15 seconds or so before the rider pulled over.

The rider had the bike in gear and could not raise his hands without shutting off the engine or having the bike lurch, either of which would probably also resulted in a shooting.

Second, the victim, paralyzed for life, may lose his leg from the very bad burns he got because the shooter cop, and the second cop on the scene, refused to move the running bike off the victim. It took the victim's DUI friend to move the bike.

All in all, hard to watch.

I am going to make sure that I my bike in neutral before I stop for a cop, and keep my hands held high, and hope its not my wife collecting from the lawsuit. Remember, get the bike in neutral before you stop, your life may depend on it.
  6. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Not just neutral...turn the freaking thing OFF. I.M.H.O. leaving the bike running is telling the cops you might try to flee the scene and it's as idiotic as making sudden movements.

A good routine if you will...
    1. Pull over A.S.A.P.
    2. Shut it down.
    3. Place you hands on the bars and wait for the Officer to come up to you and perform his routine.
    I've always done it this way for years and even had one Officer comment how it showed respect (shutting the bike down).

One thing I have noticed where I live is that, if you're going a little over the speed limit but you're dressed in all your gear; they tend to let you slide a little more.
    On the other hand, if you're one of the non-atgatt riders around here and have any kind of loud pipes (sport-bike or pirates) ...they'll pull you over for the slightest infraction.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I've noticed that too. I'm ATGATT even in the heat and I flew by a hiding cop at 10 over in a heavily patrolled area a few weeks ago and he didn't bat an eye. I see cars get pulled over (and have been myself in a cage many years ago) in the same area for doing 5-7 over. (yeah yeah yeah I know I shouldn't have been speeding anyway but it's a stupid speed limit -- it drops from 50 t0 45 to35 in about a half mile just because it goes through an underpass with an on and off ramp. )
  8. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I am not one that usually defends the actions of cops but I am thinking the cop might have been in the right. :eek1

First, why did the "bikers" take off like that from a stop with a cop right behind them? (When sitting at a stop, you look in your mirror to judge approaching vehicles, right?)

Did the "biker" put his side stand down?

The movement that the the "biker" made was, to me, not a natural response... why did he look over his right shoulder instead of his left? That arm movement (in slow motion and seen several times) looks questionable to me.

Lastly, if you look like a badass, why would you expect to be treated like a nice happy guy in a suit and tie?

Just asking. :hide
  9. GSman of La Mancha

GSman of La Mancha So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer:
    Wasnt the biker that was shot wearing a t-shirt? I wonder why the cop didnt go for less than lethal force first - I mean a taser. He could have juiced the guy real good if he felt threatened - he was close enough it seems.

IMHO, the cop was absolutely wrong.
  10. SocalRob

Oddometer:
    I don't think the riders knew it was a cop behind them. They were riding paint shaker HDs at night. All they saw were headlights behind them. In fact, watch the full video & you will see the cop car rolls several stop signs prior to the one the riders zoom off from. Were it me & I saw a car behind me roll several stop signs at night after the bars close, I too would want to get away from the potential drunk driver.

Good point on shutting the bike off. Only problem is the cop could consider that a reach for a weapon and you are dead. Hands way up may be safer. Maybe nuetral, shut bike off, coast to stop, hands up, and pray.
  11. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    He'd have to reach somewhere on the bike to shut the thing off. The kill switch is on the bar and the ignition key is under the headstock or under the seat. With former office White behind the trigger, any one of us could have been shot.
  12. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This won't apply to all motorcycles....

If your kickstand is equipped with an ignition switch, when you come to a stop, keep both hands on the handle bars, leave it in gear and just put the kickstand down. Your engine is now off.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Well, simply hitting the killswitch with your thumb does the same thing. But neither turns the ignition off, so your lights will still be on. Gotta reach for the key if you want to kill the lights too.
  14. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    And get yourself killed in process :eek1
  16. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of silly shit to remember when the fact that you're in deep shit for DUI is still soaking through the alcoholic fog.

What I mean is, the poor guy is just figuring out he's busted. He's probably (?) at least somewhat inebriated. His mind's racing, he's trying to figure out what the cop wants him to do, he turns around (to the right, since that's the side the car is on) to hear better, *blam*.

It's also an assumption that the sidestand switch isn't sitting on a shelf in the garage, where it won't clutter up the lines, man.
  17. SocalRob

Oddometer:
    Well, if you can't handle all that thought process the cops probably figure its ok just to shoot your drunk ass. (just kidding, I hope:lol3 ).
  18. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Putting the kickstand down requires lifting your leg, which Officer White interprets that move as going for the Derringer or knife you may have hidden in your boot, BAMM! your dead!
  19. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see what sentance is handed down.

Will the judge give justice to the victim or side with the police?
  20. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am surprised this video even seen the light of day. Too often in these cases the video gets lost, misplaced, accidentally erased etc.., and then it is just another case of the victims word against the cop's. Cop says he reaches for a gun, victim says no way, but in court all is not equal, after all cops never lie, NEVER! Then victim is not only paralyzed, he gets prison time for assault on a peace officer. Happens all the time. I am also surprised victim did not end up with a gun, he never knew he had.

As far as what the cop will get now, probably just probation, after all he is just a good ol boy and Judge has probably known him and worked with him for years.