Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Been lane splitting/filtering here in South Florida for over 15 years and have never come close to touching another vehicle.

The reason that Europe and CA continue to be mentioned is that they are good examples of how (when legalized) car drivers can and will adapt to filtering and splitting. The facts are that it is safer for motorcyclists and reduces road congestion for cars. Once legalized I am positive that more road users will make a switch to 2 wheeled commuting. As for the cage drivers (and others) that think it is "unfair" , fuck em'. They are people that simply aren't worth worrying about and frankly are a hindrance to easing road issues and a burden to society as a whole. Besides, you can't fix stupid. :deal
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Clearly you get it. :freaky
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Lane sharing was why I bought a MC in the first place. The rest of it is gravy. :ricky Like bicycling, but you go farther and faster (and don't get nearly as tired!)

So there I was... sitting in traffic on the 5 going from home to the office. That's a 40mi trip down some of the busiest freeway in Sandy Eggo. I'm in stop and go traffic...

MC goes by

Zzzzoooommmm

Hmmm

Next one goes by

Zzzzooooommmm

:scratch

Third one goes by

Zzzzoooommmm

:baldy

Dammit! I gotta get me one of them! That makes entirely too much sense!

So I did.

M
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Hit one mirror, gave insurance information and it was taken care of. Any more sniveling?
  7. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I first started riding on the street in Kansas and Missouri in 1979, we always lane split in traffic jams. There were a few a$$ but most did not react bad. Reduced congestion, got to work faster. Then we started cutting taxes, and government needs money.so the process of monetizing traffic enforcement started. Then things went to shit. I blame Reagan.

Rod
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I saw a few car/bike accidents on the 5 over the years I lived in Sandy Eggo. Some of them were possibly even lane sharing related. :dunno

I've clipped a few mirrors on the 640A. The DS bike + tall mirrors = same height as SUV/truck mirrors. :dunno The RT? Mirrors went under everything. :ricky You wanna talk about 'Moses parting the Red Sea?!" ride the same bike the CHP rides! I had LOTS of people making LOTS of room for me on the RT. :ricky

Regardless of what the naysayers think, its really not all that hard to lane share safely. :nah

M
  9. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, same with Crown Vics and Mercury Marquis... I hate seeing those headlights behind me... then come to find out it's just a granny with a lead foot.:lol3
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Even worse are the retired cop cars. Even have the lights on the A pillar.

:eek1

Around here, they've gone to cars without light bars on top of em. Makes spotting cops tough. Even worse are the Chargers. Not used to seeing that particular car as a cop car.

M
  12. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    :nod

In Texas anyway, all lanes on urban roads must be at least 10 feet wide, 11 feet for highways. Preferred width is 12 feet on both if space allows (almost always on highways). A full-ton truck, even with the dual rear wheels is about 8 to 8.5 feet wide, with mirrors. If you have two lanes going the same direction, even with two of these huge trucks right beside each other, as long as they are pretty close to centered in their lane their is still plenty of space for a motorcycle to filter through safely. :ricky

Now, with most commuters in the cities finally figuring out they don't need an F-350 to go to work at the office building, imagine two Camrys beside each other. They are only 6 feet wide. That is like having a full size land between them! Very easy to safely filter in those situations.
  13. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do it fairly regularly here in Atlanta when traffic is super backed up (usually on the freeways). I've ridden right past numerous Atlanta and DeKalb Co. police and never had a problem. A few months ago I was splitting up I-85 and ahead of me was a Georgia State Patrol car. He saw me and jutted his car out into the space to send me a "don't do that" kind of message. I read it loud and clear so I just ducked into a lane a few cars back and waited.

I think the big distinction is between the urban cops and the staties. The state troopers, I think, tend to be from the country and don't understand city-style driving/riding.
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a joke folks.
  15. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Geez! Get it right. Its obviously Obama/Bush 2/Bush 1's fault more than it is Ronny Ray-gun's!

:D

M
  16. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Good call. :nod

While its possible the cop could've gotten you, it woulda been tough.

...but its real hard to outrun a Motorola... SOMEone would've been waiting for you at some point. :nod

M
  17. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back when I lived in east TX they used to use old drug cars, everything. F150, Corvette, Tahoe, Camaro... Hayabusa...
  18. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 yep, that's how it is down here.

And I just noticed you have a Z1000! How do you like it? If I could afford to write a 10K check I would own one today (dealer has one in burnt orange :deal ).
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't believe you.
  20. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just traded my Ninja 650 in for it the other day.

It is amazing. It's been my dream bike for years, even before I started riding. I'm so glad I didn't get it right away... I wanted 10,000 miles on two wheels before getting it, glad I did that, this thing is ridiculous.

here's a pic I took last night:
    [​IMG]
    2012 Kawasaki Z1000 by Southwade, on Flickr