the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    just installed the slipstream enterprise S-00. only mod that needed to be done was to flatten the supplied fork clamps. they come with a bend in them which would work for wider spacing btwn the forks. Slipstreamer does not list this for the DR.
    Shield provides great coverage of the hands and good leg protection.
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Got a pic of it. :deal
  3. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :norton AHH now I see yes there are other bike that would definitely fill the role between the 2 better,But the 650 isn't the ill handling overweight pig that some people try to say it is , my apologies.:clap
  4. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
  6. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife just isn't getting into riding on 2 wheels like I'd hoped. Only riding it gets is once/week when I take it out for a spin to keep everything lubricated. Listed her 2003 today for $2350 in case anybody in the SoCal area is looking for one in nice shape with only 1000 miles.

[​IMG]
  7. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im looking at the 2013 dr200 on the suzuki site. It looks exactly the same as previous models but the specs state the gas tank is 2.9gal inc reserve. How can this be as the tank is supposed to be 3.4gal i
    nc reserve.
  8. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's got to be a mistake.
  9. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah. It's not a mistake. That space in the tank is taken up by the electric fuel pump for the fuel injection. :poser
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

Fuel injection? :huh
  11. burnt09

burnt09 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just completed the install of an FMF Q4 muffler and the Kientech jet kit on my 2004 DR200. I also made the airbox mod. I ordered the muffler along with the jet kit by telephone from Kientech. Kientech gave very good service and the parts were here within a few days.

A few observations:

There was a small ding in the side of the FMF muffler. Since it is hidden under the side cover, I decided not to complain about it.

I was surprised that there is no pipe clamp on the front portion of the FMF pipe. It is a fairly loose slip fit onto the head pipe and relies on high-temp RTV for a seal. Not quite as well engineered as the stock muffler clamp setup IMO.

The right side panel gets reinstalled with a spacer and longer screw furnished by FMF. This simply pushes the side panel out further than the factory location. Not a highly engineered solution IMO.

The FMF pipe is very loud. I like a nice exhaust tone, but I was surprised at the increase in sound level. It really has a "bark."

Interestingly, the FMF directions state that the muffler is designed to be used with the factory carburetor jetting!

The jet kit installed with few problems. Be careful as the float bowl screws and bonnet screws were VERY VERY tight. I stripped the head on one bonnet screw and had to hack-saw a slot in it to fit a flat blade screwdriver.

Cold start is greatly improved. Much less warmup required. My seat-of-the-pants road testing shows that the low and mid-range power and responsiveness might be a tiny bit better, but at wide open throttle in 4th and 5th gear, the bike had a intermittent hesitation. Top speed was about 5 mph slower! I ended up putting the stock main jet back in: hesitation gone.

There was no startling performance increase with this installation. Cold start and warmup is much better, with possibly a little bottom and mid range boost. The FMF pipe, like most aftermarket performance parts, almost hits the mark, but fit-up is not as good as factory.

Bottom line for me is that it was a few hundred dollars wasted. Any performance gain is very small, and the FMF pipe isn't as well engineered as I had hoped, and a little too loud. My advice; get just the fuel screw mod from kientech which will cure your cold start/warm-up problems, and have them mod your muffler which will give you a little nicer tone.
  12. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you would just do the fuel screw, and leave the jets alone? What about the airbox? I would love a better cold start with less warmup required.
  13. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kientech jet kit reliably fixes the cold start issue. Plenty of pages to confirm that.

To the OP, I'm not surprised that the pipe didn't make much of a difference. Except for extreme cases, a pipe is usually only good for a 10-15% HP increase on a 4-stroke engine, so you're really only likely to gain 1 or 2 HP at best.
  14. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    open it up to 3 to 3 1/2 turns out. it is set very lean for EPA regs. a pilot jet is good to 4 1/2 turns open, after that the next size larger PJ is required and it would only be opened 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns.
    its free to open it up a few turns.
  15. nx&ace

nx&ace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "SOLD" Off to a new home

Good morning DR200 fans. I have a set of Happy Trails SU side racks off my 2008 DR200. They are just sitting collecting dust. If anyone is interested, let know. Left, right, and rear cross-over bar. Four mounting bolts are missing. Excellent condition, no damage. $125 shipped USPS lower 48 only. These list for $279. PM or email me and I can send pictures.
  16. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so its not just the screw, its the total package, including air box mod.
  17. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably 90% is the screw. You also get a needle which makes the throttle response a bit smoother IMO. Put it this way, it's expensive for a jet kit, but very cheap for the benefits gained. My bike runs at least 10x better since I installed it.
  18. DirtJimmy

DirtJimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the adjustable mixture screw installed on my DR200. Will shimming the needle by .015 or .020" improve performance at all? I shimmed the needle on my stock DR650 carb (along with adj mixture screw and removed snorkel) and the bike runs much better.
  19. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    GOTCHA! :rofl:rofl:rofl
  20. burnt09

burnt09 n00b

Oddometer:
    If there is anyone in the Puget Sound area that would like a nearly brand new FMF Q4 pipe/muffler for their DR200, I would trade it for a stock muffler, provided it is in excellent condition and has the associated clamp and hardware. I am probably not interested in doing any through-the-mail deals. I would have to see the stock pieces first. If interested, post here and we'll set something up.