2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. The other Ferret

The other Ferret Motorcycle nut

Oddometer:
    I used both of them on my 750 Nighthawk and liked them both. One of the mounts broke off on the Plexifaring 3 but it was about 10 years old so I pitched it. I mount the deflector screen low so as to just keep the wind off my chest, yet keep my head in clean air.
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Anyone has pics to post from Daytona Bike Week? I know Honda displayed the bike there... Anyone got a test ride?
  3. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    just bring back the CBX
  4. M3-SRT8

M3-SRT8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oooof! How's it feel to want...?

I can see it...a nekkid cbx-1300 or 1600. Shaft Drive, retro late 70's/early 80's bike. Air and Oil Cooled, of course. 6-Speed Trans, hydraulic clutch, and 6-6 exhaust.

I don't think we'll ever see it. But, I would buy it.
  5. kpmsprtd

kpmsprtd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a National Cycle Plexifairing on my CB650. It provides good protection, but it may affect performance at higher speeds. My front end used to start wobbling pretty serious-like at about 85 mph. I treated it as a safety feature as in, "Okay. Time to slow down."
  6. OldF7Guy

OldF7Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am just sitting here with random thoughts between blows in the Bolt thread. I have nit picked the CB to death and really dont have much to really hang my hat on as far as complaints go. And then I thought about this.

I wonder how the lighting is on this thing? That seems to always be a problem with me. Isnt the bulb like a 55/60watt? I think that is what my Sportster was and it was pretty pathetic. I replaced it with a 80/100 and ran it on high beam all of the time. I finally burned up the connectors in the bucket after about 5K miles. It did improve the lighting though.

Lighting is one of those places that everybody seems to scrimp on. The absolute best light I have ever seen is the LED headlight from HD. Its like 4 or 5 hundred bucks though. The company that makes it wont sell it to anybody but HD. That way, they can mark it up and bypass the middle guy. But man, what a difference this thing makes according to pictures and testimonials from the Sporty guys. I cant believe these things are not more available.

Am I the only one that has thought about lighting? I live where deer are everywhere and you have to really be on your toes at night in certain areas.
  7. Guth

Guth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have thought about the lighting, but have no answers for you. The last Honda that I found rather interesting was the 599/CB600F. It featured a large, single headlight design that was supposed to be excellent thanks to the design of the reflector used. Hopefully Honda has used some of what they've learned in the past on the new CB.
  8. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    My feeling on lighting is the more you get, the more you expect. My older bikes all had 35/35 lights I was fine with them... And now have two 35/35 lights I am amazed at how much better they are... I am sure is I got brighter lights want them from that point on.

As to the led lights, I am sure that soon Enough someone will be selling them for everyone... If they are really good. In ten years they will be mandated by the govt and we will all be bitching about the good old days. :rofl
  9. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    LED lights are most popular in off-roading right now. I've seen aftermarket LED. Headlights and they are around $500
  10. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Deer are why I've quit riding at night for the most part. Too many close calls in cages. Don't need that on my bike.
  11. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same where I live, the deer run in packs and fly out of the ditches giving you very little time to react. I only ride at night if circumstances dictate. In the daytime we have to contend with pheasants as sometimes it seems like they are thick as sparrows around here. They have this nasty habit of flying at helmet-level in a flat trajectory, kind of like a cruise missile, from one side of the highway to the other. Had one destroy the windshield of my car recently. It doesn't prevent me from riding in the daytime, but I sure would hate to take one of them in the noggin. :eek1
  12. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always thought a smallish 6 would be a huge seller, especially nowa days. 600, 750 maybe 900cc I-6. Make it as compact as possible and let it rev to the moon......

That would have the potential to be REALLY cool.

The original CBX was really cool but pretty awkward and unwieldy......but MAN do they sound good.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e8tkVSKb77Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

my old man had one with a Supertrapp on it - I hated the way the exhaust looked but I dont know that Ive ever heard a bike sound that good.
  13. kenneth_moore

kenneth_moore n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm going up this weekend to have a look. I'll post photos if it's there on display. I sure hope it is; I've had a deposit on an ABS since the first week of February. The dealer says it ships from Honda on 3/28, so it should be in my garage the first week of April.
  14. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    Just came from my dealer. On schedule to ship March 16 th.
  15. Plungerhead

Plungerhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Impressive that you have a dealer that is actually OPEN on Mondays!
    All dealers around here are closed Mondays. My only days off are Sundays and Mondays. :(:
    other Ferret, from what part of the country do you hail? :D
    Jim
  16. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    Just east of Cincinnati, Ohio. Their mechanics are off on Mondays, but the shop is open for sales and parts.

On other forums I am the Ferret, but that was already taken here, hence the " other" Ferret lol.
  17. OldF7Guy

OldF7Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AT worst case you get it at the end of March? Im thinking it will take at least one week to get to the states from Japan and then another week to truck it across the country? I hope you get it sooner though. I cant wait to hear what you all think of the Cb.

I cant believe some of the mags have not got their hands on one yet for a full test. FWIW, all of the dealers in my area are closed on Mondays also. I dont know what the deal with that is but its been that way for years.
  18. Plungerhead

Plungerhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool.
    You would think that maybe ONE dealer in this area would be open for sales and parts, at least during peak riding months. All we get is the H-D dealer and Cycle Gear.
  19. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I've been told that Dealers are closed Mondays because so many of the employees are racing On Any Sunday, that Monday is a recovery day for them.

More likely that paying employees for six day weeks is not desired, so Monday is just the first and most logical day after the off day, Sunday. My Harley dealer until recently was open M-Sat, but changed to Tu-Sat, but extended their daily hours open. Employees I spoke with about it are happier with the extra day and the extra hours are ok by them... tp dd50
  20. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    When I worked in dealerships back in the 70's we were open M -F 9 till 9
    Sat 9-5 and Sunday 12-4. They have it good these days.

With regards to headlights, brighter is almost always better, and we used to stick 80/100 halogen bulbs in our bikes, however I have noticed a lot of riders simply do not have their headlights adjusted properly.

The most important beam is high beam. Go out to a straight flat unlit road on a dark night, stop, and flip on your high beams. Now, adjust the angle to where you have the best long distance vision (while seated). It wont be in the trees and it wont be on the ground in front of you. It will be real easy to tell when you have it adjusted right, and a properly adjusted high beam makes all the difference in the world while riding at night, even with stock wattage.