New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Thanks JR for the info.

I ordered a set of smaller turn signals, similar to the originals in their period look, but only 1 1 /4" diameter as opposed to the 3" originals.

I've already removed the tail light/turn signals from the rear and replaced with an original Brit tail light. Also removed the rear reflectors and will be putting the new rear turn signals instead in their brackets.

I haven't ridden it except for up my road once, so i guess I'll wait to see how the bars are, then replace if necessary. Probably start riding it in April.

My next move now will be to shim up the needles, and drill out the blocks to the adjustment screws in the carbs.

The plan is to not do any mod that can't be bolted back on.

Also ordered oil filters, probably time for it's first oil change, I'm up to 194 miles now. ;>) Seriously, I usually do a change at 200, then 500, then 1000 on a new bike. The idea is to remove any metal scrapings from initial wearing in.

Great site, learned a lot here already.

Steve
  2. Duelsporter

Duelsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki lengthened the oil filter for the W650 a couple years back. This caused the chrome cover to no longer fit. There was a recall about it -- Kawasaki furnished a longer chrome cover. Just a heads-up in case yours still has the shorter cover and it won't fit over the new oil filter.
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    My filters arrived today, they're Mahle brand and look pretty short, so I'm guessing they'll fit with either cover. Ebay specials, 3/$18.50 delivered, but Mahle is OEM BMW filters, so should be decent quality.

Thanks for the heads up.
  4. Blownranger

Blownranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speedo,stay away from synscetic oil for a while.I just changed to 20/50 AmsOil
    best there is (around $10 qt)but I`ve got 2700 miles now.
    Keep using Dino till bike is broken in.

BMW recommend 6k before going synscetic....

On the TS LEDs are the Bees Knees. When I switched I did the 2 back first,
    everything was fine,later when I did the fronts I had problems.
    All 4 would flash at once. They were feeding back though the blinker/indicator
    bulb in the dash! Fix was Radio Shack in line diode.

Another thing I did was to knock out a baffel disk in each muffler,believe
    they have 3 in each muffler.Just did one a little louder and didn`t effect the carbs.

JR
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Sure, I buy one, now Billy has to copycat me. Hate when he does that!

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/billy-joels-new-bobbers-a-beaut/

Good interview with Billy Joel as to why he chose a W650 for the basis of his bobber, he also trashes Orange Co Choppers in the interview. Good read.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/01/billy-joel-on-his-new-deus.html#more

I don't use syn. oil in my bikes, so no problem. Heard it's too slippery for break in, rings won't seat properly.

I've used LEDs in the past, and had problems with them blinking too fast, not enough resistance. The ones I ordered are just regular small bulbs.

Getting excited about riding it, don't know if I can wait till April.
  6. husqzilla

husqzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's how I got my first one. I later saw an ad on eBay and recognized the picture as the same bike and snatched it up. Had I knocked on his door and asked about it earlier I could have saved a couple of Benjamins. Don't wait for the signs. Ask and maybe save some jingle.
  7. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Did the carb mod today as described (and pictured) very clearly on the Captain Jake site. http://www.captainjakes.com/w650/shimming/shimming.shtml

His instructions were spot on, probably wouldn't have attempted it if he hadn't done such a good a job of explaining and showing it.

Took off the tank and removed the tops of the carbs and put a shim under each needle. Also drilled out the caps on the mixture screws and turned them out another 1 1/2 turns to 3 1/2 turns out.

The bike had been having a tough time staying lit when started in the cold weather, took a few tries to keep it going. After the mod it started right up when cold, and stayed lit along with a faster idle. Very happy with the results.

Thanks Capt. Jake!!
    fuzztone and kyk007 like this.
  8. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I want to change the front brake pads to an HH compound.

Galper and EBC are about the same price.

Anybody have a preference for one or the other and why?

Thanks
  9. Duelsporter

Duelsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the EBC HH pads on mine. They currently have about 15,000 miles on them and they still have some life left. I have been thoroughly satisfied with them, but have never used the Galfer pads so I really have nothing to compare to except the stockers (which I changed at about 5,000 miles). The EBC HH pads perform much better than the stock pads.
  10. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Thanks, you just gave me the push I needed to buy them, might as well go with the EBC.

My new (and smaller) turn signals arrived today. So of course I'm out there in 15deg.F installing them this afternoon. The temp made the electrical tape stiff and not so sticky, same for my fingers, just not sticky at all. I may have to wait till next week when it should get hot, way up to 35 or 40, to finish the job.
  11. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Finished installing, wiring, and hiding the wiring for the turn signals. Came out nice. Used the holes the rear reflector brackets originally used.

Also installed a polished aluminum tail light bracket/plate holder I bought. I had made a bracket, but saw this one and it had such a great '60s British bike look to it I couldn't resist. Fit nicely, using one of the original bolt holes in the rear fender. Uses an early 60s Lucas style taillight. Couple of 7/8" chrome carriage bolts filled the 2 lower holes on the rear fender perfectly.

The smaller tail light and moving the rear turn signals made a world of difference in cleaning up the back fender. Plus I've read the less weight there the better, as the fender has a tendency to crack.

Now all I need is riding weather, but the forecast is 6"-12" of snow in a day or so. :huh Still not registered, but may try and sneak a quick run up and down my road tomorrow.

Anybody else doing some off season mods?
  12. husqzilla

Oddometer:
    I'm adding hard bags to my 2001 when my Hepco&Becker racks arrive from Martin at the W650 Shop in Germany - http://www.w650shop.de

I considered Givi E21s and LeatherLykes, but I already have H&B bags and that will save some sheckles for other trinkets.

Here's a shot of another 2001 with LeatherLykes:

[​IMG]
  13. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Very nice looking bags, good luck with them. They look great on that bike.

Hadn't thought about it because I don't use hard bags, but I guess that would preclude the moving of the turn signals to the location I chose.

I have a set of soft throw over bags, they might still work with those.

Can't wait to ride this bike.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw this little beauty at a bike show in Evansville, Indiana this past weekend. Sweet little bobber.

Attached Files:

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    And another view. This is a very nicely done project. I was shocked to see such a nice W locally.

Attached Files:

16. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a nice looking bike. Very tasteful and well done. I might have built one a bit differently, but that's what makes this fun--to see what others have done.

Sweet.
  17. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Very pretty, some interesting details.

No turn signals that I can see. He painted the little cover on the upper right engine black, haven't seen that before. I've seen it drilled, even drilled in the shape of a "W", but not painted. I've read there's nothing behind it, just a cosmetic cover, no seal, liquids, or gears. Black rims too, nice.

The grips look like the old Triumph style, air cushioned.
  18. husqzilla

Oddometer:
  19. husqzilla

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice stuff!
  20. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa -
    Have you actually ridden those?! How does it feel different?