Recommend me the best Tent...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Mane, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Camped with a guy that had this tent. Every morning he woke up drenched because it doesn't allow the moisture to escape. Would not trade it for my decade old K-mart special.
  2. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    MSR Mutha Hubba great for 2-3. There is a two man that makes a great solo.
  3. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    Hi,

There's information I don't have, such as the number of people you need to sleep and the type of riding and camping you plan.

For adventure riding, I would get a Black Diamond Firstlight tent. It is a two-person, 4-season tent that weighs 3 pounds. It is free standing and single-walled, meaning that you don't have to mess with a rain fly and you don't need to put in stakes if it's not windy. It only has two poles which are inside of the tent and go up in a simple x from the corners. $360

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/firstlight-tent

But right now there is a sale, and you can get the same tent in a more robust and fire retardant version called the I-tent for the same price. The material used in the tent is a bit more sophisticated, more waterproof and breathable, I have a Black Diamond tent made of this material so I know it performs. It also has a more sophisticated ventilation system. The downside is that the I-tent is heavier. I am told the fire retardant version is even heavier so that's why it on sale, but perhaps it has an odor, call and ask if this is your choice. If you're going to be carrying it on a motorcycle weight should not be an issue. It weighs nearly 5 lbs. and is not as compressible as the Firstlight. But for backpacking 2 lbs. is a huge difference.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/i-tent

These are technical mountaineering tents designed to stand up to high winds and high exposure situations. Consequently, they are relatively low to the ground so you will not be able to stand in them. But they compact to a small size so that you can carry them on a motorcycle. I don't think the poles for a tent you could stand in would be a good fit on a motorcycle.

Good luck and congratulations for getting your daughter started out camping at such a young age.
  4. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Good deal. I just ordered the 1.5 for $68 shipped because it'll fit in my pannier.
  5. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    A sawtooth, a moto-mule, and a wr250r. My dream minimalist setup...
  6. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    It is well traveled and thoroughly tested.

Last report in my sig... Oh, and it is a WR250X not a WR250R, but close enough :D
  7. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    A little on scene footage...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPMuVHDM2nY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. CJGamer

CJGamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    one last thing to add- Head to harbor freight, and get a cheap tarp to use as a footprint- i.e. you lay it on the ground under the tent. And easy way to get someone UNINTerested in camping quick, is to wake up with the whole floor of the tent wet. Footprint prevents that. you can get a cheapo tarp at HF for like 10 bucks, instead of the 30 that a tent specific footprint will cost you.
  9. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Tyvek works just the same only it's lighter. I paid $10 for a big sheet that I laid down under my tent and cut out the footprint. The problem with tarps under a tent is they stick out usually and is rainstorm, the water will be funneled under the tent. You want a footprint that's actually the same shape as your tent, but about 2-3" smaller all around the edges. Any good tent should have a waterproof floor. The footprints are just to extend the life of your tent's floor from rocks and sticks, etc.
  10. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Gordo tonto y contento.

Oddometer:
    San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
    Go with the REI Half Dome. Nice, solid, mid range on price. Great Co.
  11. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put the tarp inside the tent and fold the sides up so they make a tub shape. This allows water to pass under the tent and completely prevents any chance of it passing between the tarp and floor of your tent. I've been doing this with my Sierra Designs Ridgeback for 14 years now and have NEVER had it fail.
  12. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 When I was first looking into motorcycle tent camping, I wasn't sure I would like or continue with it. I bought a used Half Dome on eBay that a guy was selling because he got a newer model. After looking at several reviews, i seemed that it was a solid, well designed tent--not to mention several year award winner. Used it for several years until getting a larger tent for more headroom & interior space.

Getting a year-end special or used tent at a bargain price will get you a more upscale tent for the money & if, on the remote chance that you find you don't like camping, you can sell to recover most or all of your money. Can't do that with a Wallyworld special....:deal

My suggestion, for what it's worth--nothing--is to research the heck out of all of the tents suggested so far--in fact, I've done a bit of that & I'm not currently in the market for a new one. That in itself will make you a more informed buyer. Of course this flies in the face of current thinking, where one wants everyone else to do their research for them because they are too busy or too important to bother with such a meaningless task.

The result of reading these threads is that I am thinking of buying a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 when I don't need a new tent & already have four....:lol3
  13. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I decided my 1990 REI Half Dome was too worn to continue I bought another tent*. Then ANOTHER tent**.

I sold them here in the flea mkt for about half price and bought an REI Camp Dome.

SOME of the REI domes have a short ridge that allows good cross ventilation and makes getting in and out of the tent easier.

I am not sure that I could have saved myself that trouble. The other tents were lighter and longer inside and packed pretty small; nice tents in a lot of ways. I simply discovered that unrivaled ventilation and ease of entry are important to me. The Camp Dome is about 250 grams heavier than the light tents I tried. I have been using easy-access full-ventilation, self-supporting tents since the late '70s so I'm spoiled.

*Eureka Spitfire 2
    **Kelty Salida 2
  14. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Big Agnes gets my vote as "best" after having many hundreds of nights in them in adverse conditions. Pick which ever model tickles your fancy, all will have the same high quality design/manufacture, you'll just be paying more for lightweight materials on the UL or SL models. I prefer dual side entrances over a single entrance at the head.
    We have a number of BA tents, all of them proven, our camping gear list is on my website in my sig line.

All my BA tents have excellent ventilation, are easy to set up, roomy vestibules, long term proven durability and 100% waterproof without the use of bulky tarps or any kind of waterproof spray. :huh
    My current "small" tent that gets the most use, the Copper Spur UL 2 packs smaller than a football when compressed and weighs less the 4 pounds, making it easy to pack. The poles pack down to 16.5" also making them easy to carry on a bike.

Good luck and either way, being in Guatemala you probably will want a freestanding, bathtub style floor and a 100% waterproof out of the box tent with lots of mesh and good ventilation made by a reputable company. Buy the model specific foot print too. :wink:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul22012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I have the Losi 3P because Barley scratches in his dreams. It also has an optional dog claw liner to protect against punctures on the floor. Very high quality and fast to setup, even in the dark.
  16. Beard

Beard Pro Blowhard

Oddometer:
    i own 3 tents. I've slept in everything from a 2 man $25 to a 1 man $800. And typically you do get what you pay for. But never underestimate the $25 tent.

ive own something like this for say 6 years now, picked it up on sale in the fall for $20
    http://www.kmart.com/northwest-terr...W077231110001P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

buy it, set it up, use $5 of seam sealer on every stitch inside and out. ive slept everywhere in that tent.. full rains all day. a little bit of water here and there managed by a towl.

but the real reason for a $25 tent is traveling. a friend has a wedding in another state. im cheap, ill fly with it in my carry on. poles stakes and all never had an issue. who cares if the airline takes it.. (though i never had an issue) even fly in buy one.. use it for 2 days.. much cheaper than a hotel. again im really cheap.

ive had tents that cost 8x as much, leak like a $20 tent. so what the use?

but for pleasure, local camping. ill always watch the weather and go the next weekend if they are calling for rain.. ive spent too many days sitting in a tent in the pouring rain to know its not to enjoyable. especially with young kids
  17. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    My advice would be to get a cheap Wallyworld type tent. Camp in it a few nights and take note what YOU do and don't like about it. Then you can use this bit of experience to buy a tent that will suit you. No sense in buying the best money can buy before you know what you're even shopping for. Besides, it's nice to own crap and then upgrade to something nice. If you buy the best right away, you won't know how good you have it.
  18. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    if you buy crap right off you might not go camping again either.

Lot of people in this thread and the other current tent thread are saying some pretty good things about some very cheap tents. if you get into one of those for $70 you can't go wrong. Do a bunch of trips with it before you decide if you want something else.
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my approach as well. None of the cheap tents have let me down, and I made a profit on one $20 cheapo that a girl threw up on in the middle of the night. She was nice enough to come back the next day and give me $50. It went in the campsite bin and I had NO problems tossing it, an $800 tent - well - it would have been nasty.

You won't know what you need in a tent until you've used one, cheaper to waste $20 on the wrong tent than $800.

Personally, I wanted a front shade area and a lot of internal space. Australia, the sun is fierce and I burn like crazy so that's a priority for me. I got what I wanted for $60 on special and spending $20 on a couple of extra poles to hold the front door panel up.

Pete
  20. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    big vestibule is key i reckon.you gotta have somewhere to put all the bike gear and luggage.I concur withthe theory that for tw people a 3 man tent is required.For you and your daughter maybe a two man will be ok,but a two man will be required for a motorcyle camper imho.Ventilation is important otherwise in cooler weather you end up with condensation .A bit of height and width is nice for dressing /undressing