Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Now the AMA hillclimb is out for me too.

Sorta rare/odd bike popped up for sale & I'm doing a roadtrip to snag it. Baltimore MD area. Should be a fun, 15 hour, drive. Halfway tempted to do a fly & ride or Greyhound (never did the bus thing before) Flying just seems like a PITA for a 400 mile trip.

Not going to mention what it is until the $ is exchanged, do not want to jinx the purchase.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    It's okay, there is good info there, but most of it is repeated in the monster thread on ADV. The real advantage of that site is the classifieds, they are not highly trafficked and you can pull some good deals out of there, unlike ADV where stuff is sold minutes after it is posted.
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a fun time.

I'm guessing it is a BMW of some sort.
  4. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bumping this up as a reminder post. I've had about 7 people express interest in garage day this Sunday. Hit me up with a PM for address/gps coordinates/directions if you are interested in attending.

5. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Weather looks promising so far. Anyone wanna group ride from Cowlumbus? Maybe someone who's been before? I got confused about the instructions a little, do I ride the wheelie thru the back or front door of the police station before I make the right up the creek bed?:cromag
  6. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    No....Not that I want to start a guessing game, but it is a Japanese bike.

I like the BMWs, but what really made them work for me was an insanely good dealer. They were in the town I lived in from 1995 until 2001, Cape Girardeau MO. Even when I moved to Memphis, 200 miles from Cape, I continued to go there even though there was a sort of a BMW dealer in Memphis. They had the franchise, but were mostly a Suzuki dealer selling Hayabusas........not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

Most of the BMW dealers I visit piss me off. I really like BMWs, but I enjoy all motorcycles.

I'm fairly certain my next new bike will be an S10, but it might be quite some time away.

I guess I need to get an order in for OH ADV stickers, but I assume we'll bump into each other eventually.
  7. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I'm going to miss out on this one again, we're celebrating my moms 90th birthday on Sunday.
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:

Cape G, been through there a time or two. :freaky

I generally have stickers with me, so yeah; if / when we cross paths I can hook you up.
  9. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:

Ever consider Amtrak? Have someone drop you off at the station.

[​IMG]

Tickets are cheaper ($55) if you book a week or more in advance.

Once in DC, there's a ~$7 one way commuter train from DC to Union Station in Baltimore.

Was considering this for a similar trip recently.
  10. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Amtrak is a great way to travel, Greyhound? Terrible. Been 20+ years since I have done the gray dog, but spare yourself and take the train.
  11. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    It's a fuckin KLR

yer post history deceives you!

edit for sarcasmization: :lol3
  12. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Gasp. The dreaded "show all posts" button strikes again.

You win the internets.

:flug
  13. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    You're like a fucking detective! :freaky

Tengai, damn, I don't know that I'd want to thrash that around offroad.

The real question is why on earth did you buy a brand new car, drive it for 1600 miles, and then garage it for TEN YEARS????? Were you in prison? :lol3
  14. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Oh Damn, you guys are good. Or bored.

Yes I have had 2 KLRs & really liked them. I also liked a 650 Dakar I had, it seemed like a KLR with better brakes and suspension. I never should have sold the 650 Dakar. I bought an XChallenge thinking it would be similar to the Dakar, but it is super sucky.

The Tengai is really strange, I would be surprised if there are more than a few hundred in the US. I always liked them.

Aunt buys crappy little car, drives it a month or two then dies. Dad parks her car in the barn. Fast forward ten years, dad passes away I inherit his stuff.

Wait....Prison for 10 years? Well I have been in Memphis the last decade, it is almost like being incarcerated......& it sounds like a better story.....so, Yes....I have been in prison.
  15. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, no, no.... you ride the wheelie through the fire station, then make a right up the creek bed. :lol3
  16. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    but only after up the steps into the police station and doing a shot of moonshine with the Sgt at the desk
  17. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I thought he was on a Quad? Or was it a golf cart?:D
  18. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spoke with Iron Pony Power Sports here in Columbus, they'll be getting a blue S10 in stock in the next week or two and a black DEMO S10 shortly thereafter:eek1! Can't wait to get my butt on one of those things for a bit!
  19. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of my wife's grandmother, who bought a 1978 Pacer Wagon brand new, then in quick succession lost her husband and then her eyesight. It made 2 trips to Florida, then got parked in the garage. 25 years later, I dug it out and rescued it (basically got it for free). It was covered in bird shit and the paint had dulled, but it still smelled like new inside. It still had a "Reagan for President" bumper sticker, fucking awesome! Carb was a mess, but once I cleaned it ran great...air still worked nice and frosty. It was loaded, V8, power everything, all leather...blue leather, like a pimp.

It was 2-toned light/dark blue, looked like a fish bowl and probably the most ugly thing I've ever driven but it drove great. I drove it for a year before some fuckwit pulled out in front of me and totaled it.

It looked like this, only uglier (imagine that)...

[​IMG]

My accident was funny, because I went sideways into a ditch, and tried to get out of the car by lifting the passenger side door up and open. It weighed so much I couldn't lift it and climb out at the same time...took 2 people to get me out of it.
  20. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    I can't believe you just admitted to driving a POS Pacer.:lol3