2wheel drive

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by pops, Nov 4, 2010.

1. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bruce. It is a bit harder to steer in the tight stuff when going slow but as soon as you get some speed up it is a lot better to ride in the soft deep sand :clap. But I still got bogged . A Winch is needed:deal
    What we need now is some rain to see what it is going to be like in the mud.

I did try it on the tar :roflNo way can you steer it with the hub locked in on the tar.

I too was looking at getting a viscous coupler Bruce ,for when i get around to fitting the Suzuki half shafts .
    Not sure if the effort to fit one would be worth it for me ?as the only time the hub should be in is when we want both wheels locked in for Max traction .Bit like a diff lock on a 4x4 .

Fitted up some new tyres today. I never thought about it before but now with the 2 wheel drive we have to have the same size tyres on the rear and the sidecar .

Cheers Ian
  2. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Ian,

I love it, simple, strong, efficient. :clap:clap:clap
  3. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Job done .Now I just have to go for a ride:deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Ian
  4. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like I said, you need to save weight by halving your toothbrush handles!

Fascinating stuff Ian, but far beyond anything I was contemplating for leaving the tarmac. I love the simplicity though. I guess you could even stash a Suzi Vitara there somewhere as a spare parts supply! By the way, I owned a shorty Vitara a while back. It was pretty much bulletproof in the 4wd system, so it's a good choice of parts.

Cheers, Mick.
  5. kailuasurfer

kailuasurfer Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I must say that this is a very nice solution! Wish you the best and thanks for sharing.
  6. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Man I wish I had a single sided swing arm on my bike !!!.:cry
  7. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:

I would be carful in what you wish for NortwestRider:D.

We did a bit of a ride today .With the wife and the dog.
    No way he was staying home :deal. He would not let the wife in the sidecar :roflso she had to sit behind me for the ride out there
    So much better in the sand and mud .
    I left it in 2 wheel drive for the 20km ride out to where we play .Great on the gravel roads .TRACTION:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Ian
  8. val. h.

val. h. On the wrong planet

Oddometer:
    HaHa! Pops. looks like you've been having some fun there, well done :clap

You just gave me another idea to upgrade my outfit. I've been following this thread and only just realised you're down under. Sidecar on same side as us here in the UK.

This mod would be so much more difficult to do on a US or Europian hack. Unless you have an R1200 with the hollow rear drive, or access 'along with the know how' to a machine shop.

My R80 is lower powered, but it is a mono and would be just as easy to convert. All that's needed now is to work out how to fit a simple reverce box??????

Cheers hope it don't put too much stress on your Paraleaver bearing.

Val.
  9. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    A update is needed i think .
    My bro has just done a 8000km ride with the sidecar. No problems with the 2 wheel drive .
    He said it was great in the soft sand .And made it easy going on some of the muddy roads he went on.
    I have just got one of these for the sidecar tail shaft but i am not sure if i will fit it as it seems to be working ok as it is .

Alfa 33 sprint sud awd p4 viscous coupling
    [​IMG]

The ceramic clutch will have to be fitted soon as the standard one is not working to well now .Very easy to get it to slip .
    And yes it still is easy to get stuck .I had to use the winch here .I still need some tyres with grip.:deal

[​IMG]

Cheers Ian
  10. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Ian,

Love your rig. The trick to riding a sidecar on deep sand is SPEED, I know its hard if you have to navigate between obstacles or make turns. When ever I have to run in deep sand with the Ural I put it into two wheel drive BEFORE getting to the sand, build up speed and keep MOVING, slow down, turn sharp or stop and your stuck.
  11. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right there mr Cob ,speed is a good thing in the sand :1drink.
    But i think tires with more aggressive tread pattern would also help me in the sand .

Why did i say anything about the clutch needing replacing soon :cry . It went bang on a ride on the weekend .
    Another ride home in the trailer for the sidecar . 65000 km on this clutch .

Cheers Ian
  12. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at getting an GS1150, and wondering if 2wd was possible with a hack. Mine will be more difficult, as I'm in the US, but more than a little fun!:evil
  13. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy slowpoke69,

Yes its possible, all it takes is MONEY and LOTS of it. I don't recall the name of the company in Germany that builds the setup but I think its around 30K just for the sidecar frame and running gear, then you have to have it shipped, installed and a tub put on it. Someone will be along shortly with photos of this type of setup, they are nice but way to much money for most folks to afford.
  14. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    65,000 km on clutch you did good!! Is this with the sidecar??

Stock clutch served you well - I would stick with stock clutch. Clutch is a wear item but you did good.

Like the idea of a visocious coupler for 2WD. Could be an all time 2WD system only have a disconnect for highway use.

What did your brother use for his 2WD setup??

:freaky
  15. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Biebs.
    Sorry i should have said it better.
    My brother took my sidecar on his 8000km ride as i am still trying to get better after my back op.
    The clutch i took out was not well .But like you said 65000km is good for the work it had to do :deal
    The 65000km on the clutch was all with the sidecar .
    I have just fitted a ceramic clutch that i got made .i am not happy with it .Shutters real bad on take off .
    I am hoping it gets better with some more riding .
    I am still not sure if i will fit the visocious coupler, as the setup i have is working great .
    Just replaced the drive shaft as it was turning in the rubber .I thought it was the clutch slipping until i pulled it down No drive at all in the end :cry.

Cheers Ian
  16. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    UK and Australian combination riders seeking this kind of 2WD machining are not limited to just BMWs for this tug of choice!

For those who drive & ride on the RH side, there are other bikes which present a rotating righthand-side rear hub:

[​IMG]

. . . some even marketed by BMW!
    pops likes this.
  17. IsAnOzzie

IsAnOzzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
  19. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    2WD?... and reverse?
    What's wrong with the Ural? :norton

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y8hf9qaIrbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know... I know... [but there is already a thread for that].

Ara and Spirit