GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It's easier to just buy known good brands. It's so cheap nowadays.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  2. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    In my experience, Sandisk, Kingston and Transcend (in that order) make the best cards - but as I'm sure you know, beware when you're buying off ebay, you could be getting a knock-off that looks like the real thing.

If the card isn't keeping up with the camera, once the buffer is full it will stop... and SD cards eventually wear out, becoming unpredictable - they only have about 1000 write/rewrite cycles (and an onboard chip to load balance the cycles) - I've come across this twice in 8 years snapping 100-200 photos a week for work).
  3. HairyLeg

HairyLeg What a wonderful philosophy you have.

Oddometer:
    There are some fairly simple program's that read and write the card (if fact any card, USB drive, hard drive etc) and measures the speed for different file sizes etc.
    Google something like "card speed test software", and you will find lots.

The class of the card Is the MINIMUM sustained speed. Class 10 is a minimum of 10MB/sec. Higher speeds are possible for bursts (such as digital SLRs), but for video you need continuous high speed.
  4. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I broke the housing clamp today. The black one that joins the housing and backplate together :-) Anyone know where I can buy a replacement?
  5. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    How handy are you? I made a new one from a piece tig welding wire after mine broke. Some guy wanted $20 for the same thing on ebay when I was looking.

[​IMG]
  6. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my GP3 Black. All the video I have shot so far seems like very poor quality. Here is a link to a friend's band that I filmed on Saturday. I shot it at 1080p 30fps, with ProTune off. The room was a restaurant dining room and was decently lit. Not bright, but not dim like a bar. And this video seems incredibly grainy and low-res. And this is pulled straight from the camera and uploaded. No processing. And watching the original MP4 on my computer looks basically the same, so it's not that YouTube is hosing it up.

http://youtu.be/6Xjdq-PIGYg

This is another one, at a kid's birthday party. Also shot at 1080p, but 60fps, with ProTune off. Again, in a decently-lit room.

http://youtu.be/93_5OAdz4Ck

This one, I did "process" it with Cineform Studio, but that just seemed to change the color. The video quality is no better or worse than the original MP4, straight from the camera.

Something about this just does not seem right. Based on these videos, I don't see how I could ever get the kind of video quality I've seen other people posting, even ones using a GP2.

Help?
  7. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm blessed with 10 thumbs so this is beyond my capabilities :cry I'll be happy to pay $20 for one instead of a new housing. What term did you use when searching ebay?
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    There's a good chance it's the battery, I've been going back and forth with GP over some H3 issues, one was the batteries, it's stop filming about 10sec after finishing a file (where the cam automatically saves a file and starts another). Second issue was it'd stop filming at random times, sometimes getting 10 min of video often less. It's sent back to GP at the moment for repair/replacment.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Stuart, give it a shot outdoors and see if it's better, low light is improved but they really weren't designed to be indoor cameras.
  10. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    incar rally ride: GoPro 2 on hidef if I recall correctly:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mfb7ZFSNZek?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Since the cards are onetime investments (for most folks) I'd get a known good quality one, the risk of missing something I really want on video far outweights the difference in price for a good card.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    +1 for sure. No point in wasting picture opportunities by saving a few bucks. The warm glow you get from saving those few bucks dissipates fairly quickly.

The anger over missed shots will fester forever.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  13. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    Mine had battery issues. I took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a new one.

The battery would die within 24 hours even if it was just sitting there.
  14. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Peirre O`Bollox

Peirre O`Bollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF the GP is fairly new, contact GP and they may send you a replacement FOC

Using the plastic clasp to snap the case closed isn`t a good idea, you should be able to line up the clip.
    Then with the lens facing you squeezing the case + back together using both thumbs+index fingers thumbs positioned on the top front corners so you don`t put pressure on the lens & an index finger tip lightly holding the clasp in place around the back, the clasp should close itself
  16. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly what mine's doing, and I'm in Hawaii with it.:cry

1911fan
  17. Gypsyangel

Gypsyangel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question:
    Does the Hero 3 white shoot video in the same 170 degrees wide angle 1080p(like the HeroHD2) or would you have to upgrade to the silver to get the wider video capability?
  18. aardschok

aardschok Fallout Rider

Oddometer:
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    This is new to me. But I see from the comments on the GPSCity page that it's been around for quite a while now...

RAM Mount Plastic GoPro Camera Adapter 1 inch B-Ball RAP-B-202U-GOP1

[​IMG]
  20. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I took it to Best Buy and exchanged it on the spot for another one.

1911fan