Center Stand Skidplates Available

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Twin headlight Ernie, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Just for the record. The centerstand skidplate like the one on Druid's bike runs $45.00. I can do paypal or a check. I have these on hand and ready to ship. You can e-mail me at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com. Thanks Ernie
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ernie,

I have a new picture with your 12GS skid plate and center stand plate installed that I want to add to the 12GS thread, but here it is with the bike layed down on its side:
    Full coverage!! :thumb
    [​IMG]
  3. MWM

MWM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much is the FatFoot for an 1150GS?
  4. BlackHoof

BlackHoof REMF

Oddometer:
    Gots mine last week for my GSPD, no pics, but you know what they
    look like by now. Good product, good price, nice guy. Thanks E!:clap
  5. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    The fatfoot for the R1150GS is $15.00 plus $3.00 for shipping. I have these on hand ready to go. They are made out of !/4" thick diamond plate aluminum and come with countersunk stainless steel mounting hardware. They do require drilling three 1/4" holes in the sidestand base but at least you know it won't be going anywhere once it's on. You can e-mail me at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com. Thanks Ernie
  6. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Happy to say that I got a good review from Bill Shaw of Motorcycle consumer news. He bought a engine and centerstand skidplate form me for a upcoming trip to Alaska. His review can be seen in the latest issue of MCN. Thanks for the cheap advertising and the atta boy. Ernie
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    An excellent endorsement from Bill Shaw in MCN! I'm also very pleased with mine. Excellent work Ernie :thumb
  8. Run like a Deere

Run like a Deere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recieved my engine bash plate and center stand gaurd from Twin Headlights Ernie, impressed what a nice well made bit of kit and bolts right on up ' no worries
  9. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hi there Mr. Deere, Glad to hear you got the skidplates and that you are happy with them. Post a picture if you get a chance. I have a photo album here at home and would like to add your bke to my collection. Thanks Ernie
  10. Rudley

Rudley el mojo fuerte

Oddometer:
    Outfitting the new R1200 GS for the Alaska run with Sparks, and I ordered 2 skidplates from Ernie. Anxiously waited for the USPS to deliver them from Minnesota, and they arrived on Saturday.

I opened the box and !WOAH!! These are magnificent examples of engineering and CRAFTMANSHIP. So well thought out, and install was a breeze, maybe all of 10 minutes.

I had come in from the garage to show Jenny, who was on the phone with a sister, and she made the title observation :

"Roy just came in the house holding a Roman Battle Shield..."

[​IMG]

That is a pretty good description of the engine skidder.

[​IMG]

As a post script, Ernie called me on Wednesday, just to make sure I had received the plates and was happy with them. We chatted for a while, and found much in common (guitars, etc.) He truly is an artist with these skidplates, and a genuinely quality human! You will not be disappointed in purchasing.

Rudley
  11. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your bike will appreciate the new skidplates. The bang and clank of rocks coming up underneath you will not be something to worry about with these installed. Treadless looked at mine and wondered why I'd need them. He then went flying up the Haul Road and on his return said "Now I understand!".

Thanks Earnie - they have been wonderful.:clap

[​IMG]
  12. ipanemaguy

ipanemaguy Many bikes & little time

Oddometer:
    Eddie,
    This is a two part request:

1. I sent you an earlier message about engine and center stand plates for 1986 BMW R80G/S. I still would like to purchase one of each in plain Aluminum.
    2. BTW, it you could provide me a template, I could send you a water cut Titanium 1/4" plate to form and weld. I like the idea of it weighs like aluminum and strength like steel. In addition, where aluminum is "sticky', Ti is slick and doesn't get hung up on abrasive rocks, etc.
  13. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a skid plate for the Vstrom. There are a bunch of us and would love to have a product made by a member/rider.

I personally would sign up for one if you can do the R&D and ship prior to my ride to alaska. Also if you can do the center stand skid plate like for the GS I think you would sell a great deal to the Strom crowd as well...

Coop
  14. Readymeal

Readymeal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

do you have a picture of the "contersink mounting holes/bolts" skid plate?
    we are really interested, mostly my gspd :)
    thx
  15. ipanemaguy

ipanemaguy Many bikes & little time

Oddometer:
    Twin Headlight makes a nice plate. In Germany and Holland there are some similar products. They make R80G/S and R100GS specific models. Spacing is achieved with a metal "washer" about 1 cm thick, that rides on the mounting bolts , between the plate and the Oil Pan. Take a look at;
    http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/index.php/cPath/1/sort/products_sort_order/page/2
  16. johnno

johnno johnno

Oddometer:
    Ernie, skidplates arrived & fitted. great service only a couple of weeks to deliver to australia. it takes me longer to get parts locally. great looking bit of gear
    thanks Jack
  17. Akskundy

Akskundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where I can get a skid plate for a 1984 r80 st?/ wanna make one?
  18. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    You still active on this thread, Ernie?

Got a new AltRider skid plate and my first trip with it on it busted the two vibration damper bolts in the back, the right front bolt sheared, leaving the front left bolt holding the whole thing on. Need two new vibration damper bolts and a new bolt for the front right hole.

The "bracket underride protection" arm is bent, but I think I can straighten it with a rubber mallet in a vise.

Another issue is that when I mounted the thing to begin with, I was immediately getting a harmonization from the engine vibrating the new larger skid plate. I think that's because AltRider's two new front bolts have no rubber grommets like the oem plate did. How do I address that issue too?

Thanks
  19. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    I Need a pair of skidplates for a 92 R100GS, email sent

Thanks
  20. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Email responded to. I'll get it made up and shipped out ASAP.
    Thanks.
    Ernie