Picked Daughter up at School Today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ChadHahn, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No pictures but I thought I'd relate this. Yesterday on the playground after school my 6 year old daughter asks how come I haven't driven the motorcycle to school to pick her up this year. I didn't have any answer so today I threw her helmet in the side bag and drove the bike around on my errands.

When I told her that I drove the motorcycle she was conflicted, she wanted to stay and play but she also wanted to leave while all her friends were still there. I told her that when her friends started to leave we'd leave and she went around telling everyone that she was going home on a motorcycle.

Well when her best friend was getting ready to leave we had to leave. She was worried that her friend would go before the friend could see my daughter ride away. There was no reason to worry, all the kids on the playground lined up at the curb and watched us drive away. I couldn't see my daughters face but all the children on the playground sure had wide smiles.

I think I helped elevate my daughter's coolness factor (and mine) at school.

Chad
  2. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Way to go Chad!!!

My four grand daughters all enjoy riding with Grandpa on the DR650. The oldest just got her license but not the motorbike endorsement yet. Mom says not until 18 years old.

Dave
  3. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    And on the flip side I picked up my 14 year old daughter at school the other day on my scooter and when we got home she started crying. She was embarrassed to be on a scooter in front of her friends. Enjoy them when they are young, before the inhibitions set in.
  4. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    :clap Great story. My god child wanted me to pick her up with my motorcycle on her last day of school but her mom said NO. Bitch!:rofl
  5. NHADV

NHADV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! I can't wait my youngest is 5 and chomping at the bit to ride. She should be able to ride on the back safely soon because she is tall. We ride around the neighborhood with her in front of me and I think we could stay out all day and she wouldn't mind.
  6. ChadHahn

Oddometer:
    At that age it doesn't matter what you drive if it's at all different. When I was about that age my dad dropped me off at a football game in 1956 Thunderbird and I was so embarrassed to be dropped off in such an old car.

Chad
  7. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that for my son in one of his last days of pre-school. For once, the V-Strom was clean, and I arrived with all of his gear in the top and side cases. The little bugger STRUTTED out to the parking lot, geared up (and dropped trowsers to get his MX pants on) and left waving like Prince Charles during a parade. I still have Mother and Fathers giving me the stink eye at Birthday parties because **I"m** the Dad with the kid who started the begging for a bike in their home.

He had a hard time with the last ride of the season...

[​IMG]

But is already making ADVrider style plans for next year for trips AND asked about racing in the PeeWee class next summer.
  8. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:

What a great picture! Good memories for you. Nice!
  9. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:
    Now this story is exactly what being a good dad is all about! :clap
  10. xlthumper

xlthumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    shiloh forest. any canadian shield trails
    Awesome. I was on my dad's motocross bike when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I took my son on the bike this summer to go up and down the street. He is 6 and now he wants his own bike. Now my daughter is 2. Only 3 more years and she will be on the bike. hopefully another to the dark side. Lol.
  11. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:

She is now the Queen of cool. At 6 years old!
  12. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, last month ii picked up my 6 year old from school, shes in the first grade, took her to have some ice cream and then to the park, she loved it, daddy and daughter time!

Got a park right by our place, i take her there on the bike all the time,

[​IMG]
  13. xlthumper

xlthumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    shiloh forest. any canadian shield trails
    Where you guys live. what are the rules for passenger age. Our laws are kinda vague the only thing I can establish is if the feet touch the pegs then it's ok. I want to take my son for a country ride just not sure a six yr old should be on a bike. As a passenger on the roads for a long time. Our car folk are kinda stunted in the intelligence department.
  14. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my oldest son started at 6 riding on the back of my old GL1100 Wing. He only rode the three blocks from school to home, but he was defined cool with his 1st grade friends. :lol3 I used a bungie cord to lock the armrests closed and he had no problem reaching the footboards. He's still riding and so are his brothers. Responsible parents hate us. :rofl
  15. ChadHahn

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the laws are here. I think it's touch the pegs and wear a helmet. She can do both. I'm trying to find a jacket at least for her to wear. It's hard to find stuff so small. At least her helmet has dragons on the side.

Mostly we ride from the school to home, about six blocks. Once we rode to get ice cream, which was about 4 miles. Now that all the snow birds are in town, I'm hesitant to ride that far with her on the back.

Chad
  16. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I'm aware, there are no rules regarding passengers around these parts. However, Little Stain wears a BackRider Belt which is basically a 5 point harness that keeps us together and keeps him from falling off. He wears MX pads and a chest protector, with an MX helmet.
  17. florabama rider

florabama rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what is the proper way for a youngster to get on the bike?
  18. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    She looks a tall six year old...... not far of ready to start riding herself, maybe?

Here in Thailand motorcycles are the norm for getting around. They outnumber cars three to one on the road. Regular folks' kids start riding as babes in arms. To people around these parts it would seem strange that people elsewhere have issues about when to start carrying kids on motorcycles.

Growing up on a farm back in New Zealand, kids are passengers on motorcycles from an early age, and learn to ride quite young. I started soon after my father got a Honda CT90 to use on the farm in 1966. I was eleven, and had been riding a bicycle (on the road and off) for several years by then.
  19. ChadHahn

Oddometer:
    My daughter just climbs on. When it was time to go, she ran over and was on the bike before I even got done picking up her stuff.

Sometimes when we come home she'll get out of the car and climb up on the bike and grab the handlebars.

Chad

[​IMG]
  20. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    about a year ago, my older son was visiting from the east coast, so my wife, who is a principal at a small elementary school took a few days off. we got together with our local younger son for a dual sport ride toward sedona. 58 year old mom was on her yamaha xt225 with all her gear. going thru town on the way to the back country, i decided to lead the group by her school. we parked right next to the playground. you should have seen the look on the kid's faces when "miss Patti" rolled up... priceless. the cool factor stayed with her for the rest of the year.