2 stroke Dualsport ?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by rgp332, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Pmason

Pmason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use mine for dual sport riding. I don't have any recent pictures. There is lots of fun to be had. Would a 450exc be better as an all rounder, probably but I don't mind the trade offs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    ^ My dream bike.
  3. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 99 KTM 300exc. Its plated and I love it. For short street/dualsporting its not too bad. I generally just use it for offroading though. However now that my DR650 is tied up with sidecar duty the smoker might end up doing a bit more true dualsport riding.
  4. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    i had a 87 ktm 500mx
    my normal tight trails
    it was scary
    warp drive

too much fun
  5. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    What frame is that stuffed in?
    Dual sport? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3-nb0Ha5c
  6. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ill be getting an 02 kx 500 next month:deal:clapDoes baja designs make a total ds kit for it or do I need to send it out to ricky stator?
  7. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mzb ignition is best solution

Can only get them through Kxriders.com One of the vendors has the rights to the K5 system..
  8. barryadam

barryadam No Value Added

Oddometer:
    I have an e-line stator coil in mine. It's OK for a Baja Headlight, but not if you really need to see anything in the dark. Takes a lot of revs to get good light. Lots of revs = lots of speed. Lots of speed and off-road riding the 500 at night is not a good combo. Damhik. :rofl

The Baja kit is the generic bolt-on, where almost everything is self contained in the headlight mount.

Keep your Visa card on file with BD, as EVERYTHING on the 500 is a "wear item". :deal

I've replaced lights, LEDs, relays, horns....heck, the BD aluminum main mount bracket broke from fatigue cracking.
    And, yes. I did have my crank trued.

Barry
  9. barryadam

barryadam No Value Added

Oddometer:
    Truth. :clap
    ('cept maybe a CA plated KDX220 instead of the XR. You know - two strokes.)

'sup 'RAD? :freaky
  10. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4 pokes have their place... mostly going slow, watching the scenery and not carrying oil...
  11. Rock Junkee

Rock Junkee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!..the 2 stroke 3 hunny makes sweet power, light weight, will outrun most 450-530's. And is SO MUCH easier to flick around. (and pick up:deal) Properly jetted stock 3.2G tank will give you a reliable 75+ miles. I have an side plate tank with an extra gallon or so, easy 100 miles range, from Baja Designs, the headlight is weak, especially without a battery, you can fit a battery in the airbox with an oem KTM battery tray, bolts right in, all the street kit is easily fitted. DISCLAIMER...don't do anything before you make sure you state's DMV will let you have a plate.

The only downside of these is that most organized DS rides don't have very much terrain that actually taxes a KTM 300.
    Put a rekluse clutch if you have the cabbage and it's like CHEATING:evil
    CHEERS
  13. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't want to ride it around the world, but it sure is a hoot to ride around town. Not to mention showing its perfectly legal taillight to almost anything else street legal on tight trails. It drinks more gas than my 640, probably vibrates more and is still one of my all time favorites.

[​IMG]
  14. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D
    That's a nice looking bike...wish mine was that clean :thumb
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    4 gal tank helps.
    [​IMG]

Street tagged but I just use it to connect trails, I'd get in too much trouble riding it around town :evil
  16. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Challenges with a DS 2-T: range, vibration. For overland travel: relatively frequent piston ring replacement.

Probable. I have a California plated Gasser EC300. Here are anonymized and nondescript photos: (Note mounted license plate)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I agree. The Rekluse clutch and a Trials rear tire at 7 psi. makes this EC300 rider look very capable.
  17. bchunter

bchunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    I have been "dual sporting" my KTM 200 EXC for about 6 months now.. I don't know how many miles I have put on it, but a few thousand at least...

I have a Vapor unit for speed/tach. I have a headlight and brake light.

I love riding that damn bike as much as humanly possible.. I try to only use the roads to get to the trails though. It's not bad on the roads, just more fun off the road. I have brought it on the highway and if I keep it to about 55-60mph it is spinning around 5-6k RPM. I try to not keep the RPMs constant or to coast too much, and if I am coasting or steady RPM I'll drop a gear and rev it out a little to get some lube in the cylinder.

Also - I don't notice bad gas mileage.. I have the stock tank on it and I hit reserve at about 60-70 miles.. So I'm guessing almost 80-100 miles off a full tank. For oil I carry a Lucas fuel additive bottle in my fender bag. It has enough oil in it to fill the gas tank one more time.. Very rarely do I go over 100 miles in a day, and if I do, I have the oil backup at all times.

It's all in how you treat it really. Treat it well and it will treat you well :)
  19. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i wanna get a plated KTM 200 to do a local DS hooligan ride.... did you have to do anything special to the jetting to get it to run 60mph on the street?....
  20. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    I bought the bike used and it is perfect as far as the jetting goes... I haven't opened the carb yet to see exactly what jetting that is. hahahaa

It works, I know that much! That bike has such great throttle response.. I love it.. I have a new chain should arrive tomorrow, going on a nice ride on Saturday. Will probably put another 100 miles on her..

A picture from last weekend - at the top of a cliff overlooking the highway. A nice spot to take a break and get in touch with nature ;) This spot is my home-trails about 4 miles from my driveway :D

[​IMG]