Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is not, only the speedometer.
  2. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost all manufacturers build in a degree of deliberately optimistic speedometer readings (it's actually a law in some places). But the odometer is fine. Remember, they're electronic, not mechanical, and it's easy enough to feed a good signal to the odo, and then a signal with a correction factor to the speedo.
  3. IronCity

IronCity n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool.

Thanks for the reassurance!
  4. Borytop

Borytop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, I am just curious which dealer you used , I am considering the 2013 granturismo don't know if I should go to Oakville or GP in Withby.

Cheers
  5. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the "normal" price everyone is paying for the 2013 MTS? Are the dealers abe to get MSRP or is there any negotiating going on?

I'm drooling over getting one of these bad boys... :D
  6. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends on where you live. It can also have an effect whether you're an established customer or first time buyer, or even if they think you'll come back for parts or service. I got a discount, but I'm a long time customer, buy parts and get it serviced there.
  7. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    First rides on your new bike can be unnerving. I'm always a little concerned if i have made the right choice and you never know until you have done some miles. I had a day off from work and took my first ride on my new to me 2011 mts 1200 S touring today and i am thrilled to say this is one kick ass motorcycle!

This is my first water cooled Duc but I knew the motor would be fantastic. Awesome, usable power and tons of personality exuding from that lovely sounding and loud V-twin were to be expected. Power delivery was smooth enough, linear and tractable with a real nice top end rush to the redline. The real surprise to me was the handling. This bike turns instantly like my KTM supermoto and handles like a bike seemingly 100lbs lighter than it really is. Definitely sport-bike like yet thanks to the DES it is also very supple on the bumps. The great steering lock and balanced ergos make u-turns a snap and the Sargent seat and calsci screen kept it comfortable in the sub 35 degrees weather. At 6'4" with size 14 boot i was worried about fitting but i was very comfortable.

Complaints? only that I will need more fore aft movement in the seat for longer rides and my finger flips the high beam on during spirited cornering. Also the starting doesn't instill confidence...it seems to hesitate for a second before cranking over. Overall i would say we're off to a great start.

[​IMG]
  8. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    Congrats. A common statement concerning the MTS 1200 is the slow cranking of the starter. Mine has always been slow but has always started.
  9. M0t0Rider

M0t0Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Windscreen Batman! :eek1
  10. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It always sounds to me like the starter motor is saying "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..." as it's cranking. Kinda rhymes with "WHEEZE, WHEEZE, WHEEZE..."

Would be nice if it were more, uh, authoritative. But they always seem to start (well, there was this once...):eek1

--Doc
  11. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Popemobile!

12. t-bills

t-bills brushed aluminum

Oddometer:
    I eventually got used to a slow starter. Have you considered changing the seat out to a 2012 seat? You have to make one minor mod to be able to accept 2012 seats. The 2012 will give you more fore/aft movement.
  13. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding starting, mine has one odd symptom. It catches and starts quite quickly on the first try, then stalls out within a second or two. The second push on the button fires it virtually instantly and it's good from there. I don't use the throttle with FI bikes in respect to the throttle position sensor, and most of my riding and experience has been in 40 degree temps, so this may be a function of the cold weather, but it consistently does this bit where it takes two goes at the starter. This only happens on the first start of the day. Once it's warm, one push does it. I suspect something in the cold start circuitry of course.

I have very few complaints and no faults that I would consider other than inherent qualities of the bike.
  14. rogerc

rogerc FJRider

Oddometer:
    I am also in the market. I live in No California so it will be hard to get much of a deal. But it is so expensive every little bit helps.
    Still thinking about a 2012 used. But the evolution of the engine keeps pulling me to the 2013.again, anyone get a '13 for less than MSRP?
    Also, can you add the extended warranty later?
  15. deWog

deWog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing you're not in Australia, where we get right-royally screwed on these: Try USD$32,094.........and our AUD$ is stronger than the US currency!!!

Bitching aside I just bought one of the new 2013 Touring S models. Did a half day as a test on one, and the biggest surprise is the Skyhook suspension. I always thought the Ohlins-shod bikes were outstanding in the handling/ride department, but the new semi-active Sachs units are in another league.

If you are used to sportbike handling, then these will take some getting used to; they don't dive or squat under brakes or accelerating anywhere near as much as conventional units. In fact the closest analogy i can make is that they feel more like the Telelever front ends on BMW GSs. Whilst unnerving at first once you accept that the electrickery is doing it's stuff then you can just get on with the job of riding the living joy out of the bike. Ride quality is firm but not harsh (i had it in Touring mode only), and the changes to the engine (new injectors/twin-plug/air bypass) make it make smoother at low revs. All in all a good effort at improving an already great bike.
  16. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Good grief. No kidding. That's ... tall.
  17. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 6'4" so is the rider. Then again, that's still a too much IMHO, if you don't like wind you probably shouldn't be riding. :)
  18. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    i mounted these 1500 miles ago. Love them and no problems with the 190/50 and the DTC. great tire in all conditions so far.
  19. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    The windscreen is tall i agree but it will be removed as soon as the temperature hits 40+. Fortunately I have the OEM and a tinted black one as well all supplied by the PO.

20. Tripletrouble

Tripletrouble Farkle addict

Oddometer:
    What's the mod?