2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Joel mark

Joel mark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stoped by a dealer today and they had a blue TMAX sitting on the showroom floor. Very nice looking machine, I was completely impressed. Size, is somewhere between a Burgman 650 and a majesty. Looked it over for about a half an hour, love the seating position plenty of leg room.

Now I just have to pester my dealer to find out when mine will be here:norton and patiently await.:1drink
  2. Calidrew

Calidrew n00b

Oddometer:
    Our Tmax is going to another manufacturer for top secret spy stuff. It should be back in a couple of days. I'll post when we get it back.
    Andrew
    Long Beach Motorsports
    562-427-2779
  3. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    which noisy exhaust maker is using your Tmax to prototype a pipe? bruce
  4. Scooterboy58

Scooterboy58 Adventurer

Oddometer:

My Majesty has about double the storage of the Tmax as I can put 2 full helmets under the seat....
  5. jmoto

jmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds better, but I wish the Japanese/Tawainese would make large scooters with relatively flat floorboards. The hauling capacity of my Ruckus and Stella is greatly increased by the ability to carry stuff on the floorboards. The Stella would be about perfect with an additional 100-150 cc's.
  6. Calidrew

Calidrew n00b

Oddometer:
    Actually it went to the manufacturer that does not have a rival between 49cc and 600cc. Oops, was that out loud? So, no pipe work, yet. Although a nice Meerschaum...
    Andrew
    Long Beach Motorsports
    562-427-2779
  7. Scooterboy58

Scooterboy58 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I hope the roof of the dealer did not fall in on the Tmax. So far I have seen sales in Ohio, Minnesota and California. Here in Florida my dealer is still waiting on news of shipment on my Tmax... But progress is being made and that counts for something....
  8. Scooterboy58

Scooterboy58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hate it when they do that. US customers want our Tmax's now not after they have been modified by other Manufacturers.........:norton
  9. HayHole

HayHole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...is poorly calibrated. The manual says it holds four gallons, and the gauge is marked off in quarters. Well, the needle was as low as I figured I should let it go and so I stopped to fill the tank. Having gone only 160 miles, I assumed I was looking at about 40 mpg. I could only get 3.3 gallons into it, so my mileage was roughly 48 mpg on the first tank. Not too bad, but lower than I expected. On another note, it has a great seat! Better than all the BMWs I ever owned. I spent about three hours on it yesterday and no sore a#@. The more I drive it the more I like it!
  10. Scooterboy58

Scooterboy58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My majesty is much the same. the first 55 miles it only drops one mark on the LCD gauge After that it goes down fast. When I fill up at 190 miles I put in 3.3 gallons and get 58 MPG. Does the Tmax have a low fuel indicator like the Majesty's do? 160 miles and 3.3Gallons I can deal with that just fine :) The Majesty is rated at 51 mpg on the Yamaha website and the Tmax is at 48. I have never had a 50-52 mpg tank it has always been between 55-59 I suspect the Tmax will be around 52-55 mpg the way I ride.... keep that information coming. The more I know when the Tmax arrives the better I will like it......:D
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Aw man! I had no idea! I wish I had known Yamaha was bringing the T-Max here in the US!
    I have dreamed about one of those for several years now and I never thought I would see the day...
    I really am speechless. I want one so bad! Guess I am going to have to sell my new 'Wing. A#%^! Damn you Yamaha! But thanks as well.
  12. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Big Ruckin'

Oddometer:
    Less than 50 mpg???? ON a scooter? Holy sheesh, stop the rape right now!

That's horrible mileage. Really.
  13. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    While I'm not a scooter-fanboy(I do own a lil Ruck for buzzing around town), I've always like the Tmax (especially the newer body style) and stoked Yamaha finally brought it over to the US.

My question to the scooterist here...do you think it will do well at the asking price of 8K?

To me, it seems kinda steep when you have Swings/Burgs in the same price range that offer better functionality and storage capacity then the Tmax. Tmax offers the styling only.
    From what I can tell, the people who are attracted to these large scooters seem to be more of the practical type and would be looking at key factors like functionality, performance, storage, comfort, styling combined...not just styling alone.

If Yamaha offered these things at 6.5K, I would be all over it like white on rice (no racial pun intended), and take the s**t from my friends happily. At 8K, it's too much to make me switch over.

BTW... for SoCal residence, OTDcyclesports quoted me 8.1K OTD for the Blue/White. The yellow was a bit more I think. Thought about it for a sec but passed.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    When I was shopping for a big scoot that's what swayed me toward the Burgman. I lost a little cornering clearance to the Tmax but gained more power, double the storage and better wind protection.
  15. vales1

vales1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a little inside info for those who are interested in purchasing the TMax stateside:evil :evil :evil

This model has a 3% dealer holdback which means 3% of msrp is paid to the dealer at the end of the model year. So respectively,

Deep Blue Tmax list price: $7999 - dealer gets $239.97
    Cadmium Yellow list price: $8099 - dealer gets $242.97
    paid to dealer for every unit sold within the previous 12 months of model year.

Ready to sell cost for Blue Tmax: $6931
    Ready to sell cost for Yellow Tmax: $7014
    Please note that these prices are dealer cost with no profit to dealer. Dealers will not haggle for any less than 5% over these cost.

You'll know exactly how much the dealer wants to profit by their "asking price" (which may include setup, freight fees etc) minus the ready to sell cost above.

Now to be fair to the dealer (so they stay in business), add between 5% - 10% to the ready to sell cost.
    EX:
    Blue Tmax: $6931 + 5% = $7277.55 / +10% = $7624.10 so your haggling price is between these two prices. Let's say you successfully haggled down to $7277.55, In my case my "out the door price" including tax, lic, and registration comes out to around $7900 (which is alot better than $8700 if i didn't haggle)
    As for the dealer, they'll make $346.55 + $239.97(dealer holdback) = $586.52 - everyone wins

One thing to consider though is that the TMax is sooo in demand right now (especially here in California) that the dealer may not be willing to haggle. But try it anyway, who knows, you might just walk away with extra bucks in your pocket :clap :super :beer

For those wondering, I got the info from a buddy who works at the local dealership. He's hooking me up with the tmax , I just thought I'd share the info.

BTW, anybody interested in buying my Silverwing?

[​IMG]
  16. Rottweiler

Rottweiler I'm a Believer

Oddometer:
    I probably don't qualify as a scooterist as I don't even have one yet. But I can't get out of my head that a lot of the whole point of scooters has to do with that growing market demand for economical transportation.

For myself, I can't imagine buying one given that a DL-650 can be had for less and a ton of slightly used bikes similarly.

But then I can't fathom how HD sells so many mega$ cruisers and similarly for gold-plated Goldwings. So I guess I'm just out of touch with the market.

Still, I think the market is changing and I wonder if high-end stuff like this Hummer-esque Yamaha scooter is where it is going.

Sure is a fine ride, tho.
  17. jmoto

jmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The T-Max was clearly designed for two years ago. Good looking and sporty performance. Too expensive and not enough MPG's or storage for the current scooter market.
  18. jmoto

jmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Generally not a fan of "bold graphics" but that is definately a sharp looking scooter!! Thanks for the pricing data.
  19. vales1

vales1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D :D :D LOL, the scoot was originally dark gray and I almost got into an accident a couple of times bec. people say the "didn't see" me. As "slow" as it is, i thought of increasing my visibility by doing a tribute to Nicky Hayden's repsol. Now, some people actually slow down just to have a look.:D :D :D
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Looks great, why replace it with another slow scooter? :ear