Sunday Dirt Run

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by gentry, Aug 24, 2005.

1. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    Great ride today. Very relaxing... got home and now im back at work :bluduh you gotta love computers....

see yas all on the next one!

Cheers

Chad
  2. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    Chad, what happend to taking Erin for a ride around the block, good luck.
  3. gentry

Oddometer:

tell me about it...
    Im working as fast as I can. Got dirt all smeared on the laptop :lol3

Hey guys - we need to figure out what that chemical was eh?

Cheers

Chad
  4. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    The mileage on that DRZ is 2741.02. So not a lot of miles on the thing. He sent me another picture of it and it still looks bone stock. I'm hoping to maybe hit him with 3k cash and see what he has to say. Is there anything special I should be looking for on that?
  5. gentry

Oddometer:

go for the 3k I'd say, what tyres are on it? skid plate? Did he give you any parts-list? Is he the only owner? Where did he get it? Crashed? Clean title?
  6. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    Garlon 4/Triclopy
    I'm going to go take a long, very thorough shower now.

Rossi won, again.......and poor Gibernau ran out of gas.
  7. gentry

Oddometer:

Probably nothing worse than we breathe downtown..
  8. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    I have no excuse, and my wife keeps telling me that.

I actually planned on a 9am start, like my earlier posts states, but when I looked this morning and saw you guys were meeting at 8 - I bugged out.

I got the patio furniture back on the deck from the stain job over a month ago.

I even went to a 2 hour private lesson with my Master. Head kicks from the Master will make you see straight, well after the second one, the eyes come back into focus. So not a lost day. I am sore.

The next dirt ride by me will be on a DRZ.

Sounds like you had fun.

ENjoy.
  9. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    James,

Glad to see you are out and enjoying again.

ENjoy
  10. gentry

Oddometer:
    the green hornet sure was in a hurry to get some gas.... :evil
  11. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Wheel spinner

Oddometer:
    James,
    Good to see you're back in the saddle~!!

Had a bit of an adventure at the Black Bear today, think I'll start another thread so Dave and Ron can share their stories as well.

Cheers.
  12. gentry

Oddometer:

Share! Share!
  13. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Wheel spinner

Oddometer:
    I just posted in the West forum. Enjoy!
  14. gentry

Oddometer:
    :lol3 it started pissing rain so I wheeled the bike out to get a "wash" from all the chemicals.....

I didnt notice them at first but they sure stunk on that last leg eh?

Be innersted to see those pics. Not sure who got the "how not to descend a hill - by Gentry" :D

ah well.... I never claimed to be graceful....
  15. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the pic's.

HEY GH -- Thanks for the voice mail. As you well know by now -- I never did find you.
  16. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    It's great to be back on two wheels; a month can be forever sometimes...thanks all.

Stosh, sounds like you purchased something? pics/link?

Here is a bit of a report, a few pics, and some video from yesterday:

I didn't speak up on this thread, mostly for fear of jinxing myself. For those who don't know, then I broke my right clavicle in two a month ago, and only began riding again last week. OBDR is next week, and both the bike and I needed to get out for at least one shakedown ride.

Tricia and I rode out through Middle Fork Snoqualmie on Saturday, 140 or so miles, and everything felt good, despite the bike seeming really tired once or twice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday morning dawned, and I fell out of the warm bed, slammed some cold coffee from the day before, and took inventory. The vitals were packed, tank full, destination in mind. Brush the teeth, drink gatorade, get on bike and ride.

The meeting point, Duvall Cafe, was interesting...I seem to remember the food being better on previous visits. At any rate, the DR-Z arrived with me still astride, we parked, and I walked in. There's only one real table there for motorcyclists, and that's the large round one in the rear.

Introductions all around, breakfast, a bit of bench-racing and discussion about potential new bikes, scooter riders, etc. Before I knew it, then there were 6 riders, but no Stosh, and it was time to pay the bill and get down to having fun.

With gentry and his "save $100 in Touratech cash gps mount" in the lead, the Duvall traffic was navigated, and we were off. A quick turn on to Cherry Valley, a few miles of slab w/ some fun turns to shake the Duvall Cafe remnants around, and the group arrived intact at the trailhead.

We spent about 10 minutes airing down tires, bench-racing, and wondering if it was going to actually rain a bit. There was a 40% chance of something coming down, and with the recent dearth of precipitation to keep the dust down, then I could almost hear rain-dances being played in peoples heads.

So, down the initial fireroad the group commenced, until an intersection of sorts was reached. A decision was made, and I took off in the lead this time. A couple of looks back along the way, all is good, riders still behind me. The road narrowed down, turned into a bumpy and washed trail, and I could no longer safely look back....after another mile then another major intersection appeared, so I stopped.

3 minutes go by, noone appeared....I turn around, ride a couple minutes back, and there they are, waiting for me, thanks guys. Seems like I had blown past the intended road....With Chad again in the lead, then we blasted through fun open roads another ways, into a really fun section with predictable whoops and a bit of jumping.

Just prior to a turn into the forest, we came upon a stranded vehicle. The Cherokee driver had apparently blown a tire, and then ridden a quad back to civilation for a spare....nice work, except for the fact that the @!#$ had chosen to leave his quad right in the middle of the trail, just over a rise.

Around the deficit we all went, then down a trail underneath the tree canopy. Mmmm, mud and roots, about time something meaningful showed it's head. gentry still in the lead, we traveled a bit underneath, having fun and roosting around, the bikes seemingly directing us more than the other way around. After a bit then a stop at a nice clearing was made, water downed, tires checked, and we were off into more of the same.

Oh, I neglected to mention another "local" that we encountered....he had been driving an older Ford Bronco, in the middle of nowhere, off-trail, and was firmly high-centered. He requested a ride back to town from one of us, and immediately received direction to the Cherokee driver a few hundreds yards back. There were subsequently all sort of good suggestions about helping the Bronco along while the driver was absent.

Back out of the canopy we rode, and then along several fun higher-speed fireroads, stopping at various viewpoints and intersections, until we arrived at another interesting small open area. There was a nice steep hill, a side rutted-to-hell one, a banked semi-circle, and more.

Lacey wasted no time in charging up the steepest hill, making it look less inclined than it was...the downward portion, also. The rest of us commentated, milled around and drew straws, with a couple more brave souls charging up and down.

Lacey Ascent
    Hell No!

gentry charging down
    [​IMG]

It was approaching time to head back, so we vacated the playground area. There was more riding along the fire roads, a few decisions, and we were 20 feet from the primary road. Unfortunately, it was an obstructed 20 feet, and given that our primary entry was on an ungated road, then we were a bit puzzled by the lack of available egress. Things weren't helped along by the fact that at least one rider hadn't fully fueled up before heading out that morning.....screw it, other bikes had gas, someone had a camelbak drinking tube, and there was plenty of daylight.

[​IMG]

Hmmm, the gps's are consulted, another path chosen, and off the group went. Hmmm, same result, gated. Eventually we made out way out of the area with everything in one piece.

[​IMG]

Stopping at the entrance/exit area, the decision was made to find some good grub and gas up, so back to Duvall it was.

Someone mentioned Jaspers, and were were almost immediately there. It felt incredibly good to relax in the early afternoon after a half-days riding, eating bbq and sucking down cold water, bs'ing about this and that. I've really missed riding, and everything that goes with it.

[​IMG]

Another hour or so, and it was time to head out. G'day's all around, thanks again, and hope to see you on Sep 17th for Duvall III, ride safe.

[​IMG]
  17. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great fun everyone; let's do more of it. There's and adventure around every corner. Here are a few pics....until next time....You never know who you'll meet out on the trail. Just click on the thumbnail.

[​IMG]

The ride sure helped out my ailing overworked attitude....just what I needed. There's no elixir like "adventure".
  18. a16tony

a16tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell no! I say. Superhero statis shot to hell. No gas and no balls, WTF was I thinking? I shall avenge myself. Duvall III, not far away.

Lacey, I'd do the hill on my mountain bike,:ricky , guess I'll have to strap it to the KLR.

Dear diary: today I was a pussy, but the bike still looks good. Vanity sucks. :brow
  19. gentry

Oddometer:

That's alright... "The Red Rider" showed us all up..... :lol3
  20. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks for the write up James. :D