(I don't think we have a) Dyna Thread (yet)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see that coming in the very near future for me. The have 'tall' 'medium' and 'chopped', I'm guessing you bought the tall? I don't expect a clean pocket of air but I'm riding this thing home for the first time, wind blast is about as bad as I expected.

Here it is btw. 2013 street bob. First dyna, I'm impressed so far. It's smoother than I expected, my road king vibrated more for some reason.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  2. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the "Touring" is it's own thing, and it is TALL. It's not wide enough to keep wind of the hands, though.
    I mounted that cop seat high enough that I can see over the top (I'm 6'2"), but I couldn't with the Sundowner.
    I have to say, with the big shield and lowers (which are not on in my pic) it is not an attractive setup, but effective wind-wise, but definitely not aerodynamic for fuel efficiency. It's basically a vertical tombstone being pushed through the air.
  3. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! I'm almost convinced I need to trade my 2000 Road King for a Dynaglide... or, as my wife says, here you go again... :norton

I've noticed some Harleys vibe more than others. I've owned Road Kings, E-glides, FXD's, FXR's, some do some don't. Some do it only at certain RPM some all the time.
  4. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious what year was your Road King? You talking about vibration at highway speeds?
  5. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'm going to try a small screen first and see how it might do before I get crazy. I had a short one on a sportster once that took the brunt of the wind and worked good up to about 65-70.

It sounds like the touring screen you have would be too tall for me anyways. I'm sure I'll end up spending a few months playing with different stuff to figure out what works.

Thanks.

The dyna feels like a sportster after getting off the RK. Handling is much better, ride is firmer but not too bad. One railroad crossing got me pretty good coming home. I think that with a passenger and luggage it's going to be pretty rough stock.

My RK was a shaker compared to others for some reason. Wasn't enough to really complain about, just more than most others.

2007. It seemed to shake more than most other bikes, basically all over the rpm range. Wasn't enough to complain about.

6. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I've noticed that much of my buffeting also comes from underneath the shield,
    rather than around or from up top.
    If I put my feet on top of my crash bars, and pull my knees into the tank,
    I've got myself a nice little pocket.

So yes, it would appear lowers would be the option.
    However they're fuck ugly.

My stock switchback's (why doesn't anyone ever say FLD?)
    windshield is OK... I think.
    I've never had a windshield before so I don't know how good it is,
    or how bad it is.
    I think it's about the right height, seems like its peaks out just under my nose.

I wear an open 3/4 and it makes my glasses jump around quite a bit.
    But its still nice on chilly days.

Anyhow, been checking out the LongRideShields, and Memphis Shade's batwing.
    Batwings are cool.

But then I remembered,
    I have a windshield that is perfectly functional.
    End of search.
    Apparently a directionless post as well. :norton
  7. XT_Driftwood

XT_Driftwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I installed a fork air deflector, Harley PT# 58520-79 on my T-Sport to help deal with some of the air coming from underneath. It's not, IMO, as effective as a pair of fork lowers would be but it does help. It also not so obtrusive as fork lowers, but that's a matter of opinion.
    I think this part was original equipment on a Road King and I had to cut it down a bit to fit between the Dyna forks.

This isn't a great pic but I only had a couple seconds before I had to head back to work.

[​IMG]
  8. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bloodweiser, you basically described how my road king felt. Windshield height was the same even. I tried a detachable fairing and it didn't help the buffetting at all, through the radio was nice. The fix is fork lowers. I gave up and bought them a few weeks before I sold the bike, so I only used them for about 1k miles. They were perfect though for the buffetting.

With my new street bob I'm not sure what I'll do about it. I'm going to try a short shield and see what happens, but I doubt anything short of fairing with lowers will fully cure it. I'll just limit my highway time I think, I dont like ridjng there anyways

9. grelcar

grelcar Not lost, just confused

Oddometer:
    What fixed fork lowers did you have?
  10. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Www.jescustomaccents.com

They were pretty well made, no complaints. The holes didn't quite line up right but a few minutes with a die grinder fixed it.

11. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Love my FXDX! and yes that is my dirt bike helmet. :D I had a Street Bob prior to this and put 25k miles on it, but I always wanted a FXDX.

[​IMG]
  12. bobbed06

Oddometer:
    Here is my Street Bob. I installed some custom wheels by Blackbike Wheels 18x5.5 rear and 21 x 3.5 front. It really added alot of ground clearance.

[​IMG]
    victor441 and dallastx like this.
  13. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that a lot.

What bars/risers are those? Are they fairly comfortable with the mids? I hate the factory 'mini apes' that mine came with. Yours seem to be about what I want. As it is I have a hard time holding myself up against the wind on the highway, it feels like I'm trying to do a pull-up the whole time.

14. bobbed06

Oddometer:
    The handlebars looked good but at 6ft tall with a long torso I found myself with a back ache after a few hundred miles. The Handlebars were 34 inch wide drag bars, the risers were 4 inch straight risers.

As far as mid controls go I have a 32 inch inseam and always run mid controls as I cant ride a bike not being able to unweight the seat for big bumps. I am running a 10.25 inch tall setup on the FXDX I currently own with mid controls. That setup is proper for me and you can see how that fits me in the top pic.
  15. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point about the back ache, I was wondering if that would be an issue. I saw some curved risers in jpcycles, might try them to see how they'd help. I'm not in a big hurry though, it's fine to get me to winter here. Once I get my free 1000 mile service I'm probably going to put it away for the year then tinker over the winter.

16. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's quiet in here. I've put about 300 miles on this weekend. 60F is a hell of a treat!
    Switchback, FLD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    still digging the klockwerks?

are you tall enough to look over the thing?
  18. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's great compared to stock. I look probably 3 inches over it. I definitely prefer no shield now that I have the backrest to counter the wind.

Whenever you're ready I'll ship the shield to you to try for a week or so
  19. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    fuck seriously?
    I love this site.

I'll take you up on that once the roads are de-salted.
    Thanks a bajillion.
  20. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my FXDL on one of the Wisconsin Rustic Roads. I usually ride the GSA; don't remember what happened here.
    [​IMG]