Launching of the REV (reality escape vehicle) in 2011

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gentri in GA, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Gentri in GA

Gentri in GA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Launching of the REV (reality escape vehicle) to Copper Canyon in Mexico in 2011

Life.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes you get to a point where you just need to say “F*** IT” and launch into outer space…

I have reached that point.

Count down is, er, counting down, engines smoking with pre-burn… T-minus 1 day till launch…. The mighty (heh) ’97 DR650 is as farkled as it is going to get, and loaded up with more stuff than I wanna even admit… let my first long road trip begin! :clap

Why now? Well this road trip has been brought to you by the calendar year 2011.

2011 has been an interesting learning experience for me. Lessons in loss, lessons on love… heck, even a loss AND love lesson… The year started off on a very sh*tty note. I had to put my beloved 13.5 year old dog, Andy, down… he was a Aussie Cattle/Belgian shepherd mix… the best dog ever, really… cried more than I wanna admit....

[​IMG]

…then other things started piling on. The JOY of child support negotiations (there aren’t any), evil X issues (bleh, not going there), Father rights issues, my Dad had issues (quadruple bypass, he is doing great!), budget issues, truck issues, rental duplex tenant issues, duplex plumbing issues and last but not least, losing my job issues… I am over it all. Tired of stressing about it and and need a break.

Come Tuesday, 29 November 2011, I plan on getting one.*

Bring on the launch of the REV.

[​IMG]

I will be riding out on my mildly farkled 1997 DR650 with 18753 miles under the hood. Shinko 705s. New sprockets/chain. New cables and brake pads. Minimal mods: airbox opened up, K&N air filter, bash plate, larger foot pegs, centerstand, Moose bark busters, aftermarket windshield (way after market, as I shattered the good one, and made the current one), Wally World/KLR ATV pad hiding a inflatable camp pad (redneck, eh? woot!), and last and not least the marmite boxes on the happy trails rack... I feel like I am making KLR650 owners all over the world proud! :lol3

So with a lot of luck and some mad riding skills (minimal) along, DOG willing, I plan on scooting down to Texas, then into Mexico… hopefully Copper Canyon, with some knowledgeable fellow ADVRs around Dec 4th,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742339,

then the long roll back home to the ATL for Christmas time** with my daughter and parents!

Wanna come along and escape reality for a bit with me? :D
    Gentri in GA

*launch date reset required due weather, see below.
    ** 18th of December in my case
  2. Gentri in GA

Oddometer:
    Well, I actually did launch yesterday for about 50 miles, during which I learned that I was not suitably dressed for 37 degree weather... I rolled back home, am waiting till tomorrow for go time to try again!

I couldn't believe how freakin' cold I got/how wimpy I am! :rofl

Also looking for some crash space around Mobile Thursday nite and Lake Charles on Friday nite if anyone has some crash space! Pretty please!
  3. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    Already vested over 24 hours into the saga....... there will be stories off this one boys :evil
  4. snohobo

snohobo Supermoto hippy

Oddometer:
    The cold is no joke! It will get to you. When you think Mexico you think Coronas, babes and hot sun, not in December!

Suit up and good luck.
  5. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult, but useful.

Oddometer:
    Hate to say it, but that's life, n'est pa? :1drinkShittiest part's probably the dog at the moment,
    and your children's welfare.

Regardless, this is going to be good!!! :D

Love the Reality Escape Vehicle (REV) idea.

Subscribed.
  6. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Get'er done Gentri!
  7. Gentri in GA

Oddometer:
    Trip Prep.

Some folks are better at this, some are less so… I usually fall into the latter category, but I have surprised myself on this one. I have gotten to the point of “if I don’t have it covered, I am buying my way out of the problem with my credit card” approach, but I’ve got the basics covered and think I can get myself out of some classic “oh, I’m so F***ed” scenarios. Back-up cables, brake pads, tool set, screws, washers, filters, patch kit, back-up tubes, etc. My full travel list is below, and was put together by fellow ADV rider, Tukata, with some mods for my trip.

Tent and sleeping bag
    camp stove/lighter and pot
    fire safe cup (to cook/eat)
    camel back for H2O
    Hot Sauce/sardines/crackers/GORP/canned chili/snacks
    Zip tie extra clutch and throttle cable to existing
    patch kit and 2 spoons/extra tubes
    Multi-meter and wire
    fuses
    zip ties - JB weld
    1qt oil - Chain lube
    Only 3 pair packing (socks, underwear, shirts)
    1 pair convertable pants REI
    Sandals_ that can get wet and pack small
    Flask bourbon :freaky
    Small laptop (waterproof where it is)
    camera
    phone and charger (laptop works for mine)
    1 pair sunglasses/1 pair clear safety glasses (rain, heavy dust, or bike work)
    Light Rain gear ( just stop if it's not enough)
    1 Gal. Ziplock bags (Do not forget these) Dirty laundry, food, water tight, extremely versatile
    Maps and compass
    Toiletries and towel
    Mesh bag to put wet items in to dry while riding
    15-20 paper copies of your license and/or intl. drivers license

The tool list and spares list I have taken from Mr. Shortwayround, who has, IMHO, probably one of the best, most informative websites about setting up a Suzuki motorcycle/any motorcycle for a RTW trip that I have ever seen… big credit to him on this one! My kit is not so extensive, but it should work for what I have and where I am going. he is currently crossing Bolivia, so his kit should cover it! :lol3

Check it out: http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/
  8. Gentri in GA

Oddometer:
    Tukata and Crafty: Thx!

snohobo: yeah, it was kinda a shock to me, as I thought I WAS prepared! Obviously I haven't done a lot of cold weather riding... amazing the multiplying factor of going 70 MPH!

hosebag: Agreed. That's the way life rolls whether you wish or not, but sometimes a break would be nice! :eek1
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Spare wheel bearings, and chain repair kit would be good too. They are small and will get you moving in case of an emergency.
  10. Spacelord

Spacelord Mutha Mutha

Oddometer:
    You definately deserve a break. I'll be watching for your updates, good luck.
  11. Gentri in GA

Oddometer:
    finally had a GO for launch. Near Birmingham

Crafty: I have bearings. No chain kit but repair links
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    That's what I meant. Master links and a chain tool.
  13. Gentri in GA

Oddometer:
    and rode and rode and rode. Cold issues resolved by install of heated grips, new leather gauntlets and many new layers of padding... sometimes it is easy..... ish.

So I did better than I thought for my first day on the road...

Here is where I ended up:

[​IMG]

Need a better hint? :evil Ok.

[​IMG]

Sometimes easy is good.... I guess the Big Easy in this case. Algiers is actually across the bridge, but those pics sucked. :puke1 Taking pictures on the fly harder to do than I thought!

[​IMG]

TOLD you it sucked.

Rolled around 475, my new day record... I know all you Iron*sses are sniggering in your sleaves, but hey, gotta start someplace! Ended up at the Point Bar and had a few cold ones before heading to the crash space at Sarah and Chuck's. Many thanks to them!

Questions for the more experienced road warriors out there: What time do you hit the road and what is your morning routine? This has killed me the last few days. Getting out late means on late and that is not good.

Any tips?

14. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm up before dawn..have a cup of coffee and start just as the sun comes up. Ride until late afternoon and look for a place to camp.
    475 is a good long days ride, take it slow and enjoy.
    Good luck!!
  15. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!!!! :deal:deal Liking your attitude so far. Over thinking the little things and making a bigger deal than it should be is what sets many of us behind at times. Glad to see that after all that has happened to you, you are still keeping your head up and taking time for yourslef to get some fresh air and see more of the world out there.

Later
    John
  16. JediMaster

JediMaster Adam Lewis

Oddometer:
    Hey Gentri!

'Mr ShortWayRound' here!

I was looking at incoming links to my blog and followed one back here.

Glad to see you hitting the road on what will surely be a crackin' steed. :thumb

CraftyCoder's right about the wheel bearings - the rears especially seem to be the DR's Achilles heel. Every bike's got one (at least!), glad the DR's is so simple!

May 2012 be kinder to you.

Have a great trip. :rickynow REV 'er up and 'Git er duuuunnnn'!

Adam
  17. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    Update this you Lazy Bastard :1drink

I know he was partying, maybe in jail :rofl
  18. ArizonaSunsets

ArizonaSunsets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Pheonix but living out my backpack in Asia
    Good luck I would just change one thing.

Instead of Reality Escape Vehicle

Change to Reality Experience Vehicle

Or Reality Explorer Vehicle

Because when your smiling flying through the desert and thinking about nothing but the mountains ahead, in my opinion, that is reality. Not payments and arguments!

Treat yourself to a good life!
  19. Spacelord

Spacelord Mutha Mutha

Oddometer:
    No doubt, if Louisiana is really rockin this could be a long lay over.
  20. Gentri in GA

Oddometer:
    DAY 2 NOLA to Houston

This was a straight shot. Causeways, swamps and very few pictures. I gotta get my photog game on! Here is cute kitten to make up for it.

[​IMG]

I blasted off intending to meet up with some friends and get some crash space.
    I saw only 3 other bikes, Goldwingish, although the last one was a Harley in NoLA moving along nicely... he gave me the finger... or maybe, like Tebow, he was just thanking heaven above... all had fairings... my frozen toes, fingers and face are beginning to GET that whole concept.

I arrived in Houston and after going to the wrong park, then wrong bar, and no phones being answered, I said Downtown Houston, I love ya, but I gotta go. I found the Houston International Hostel and for 15 bucks had a hot shower and bunk. Done. I like the hostel, but the best description I can give is that it is “careworn”. It is loved, but not one thing new in it! I found it clean, staff nice/helpful and would def. Stay again. YMMV.