Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Stromski

Stromski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a bike that I have ridden for a total of 34 miles, it feels like we have gone a long way. With a long, long, way to go.

I had not touched a carbeurator since completely screwing up a Holly 4bbl on my 1981 Plymouth when I was in high school, but I dove in and took these apart. I always thought that varnish in the carbs was a figure of speech, until I saw the lovely green SOLID mass in the works. I poked, prodded, scrubbed and sprayed until it was all gone. The next day, I put them in and it started! I wasn't expecting that.

I got it registered, adjusted the rear brake light and took it in for inspection. It failed, which I expected, but it was due to a leaky exhaust--everything else worked. Cost at that point, $17 for Sea Foam and carb cleaner.

I now have a used exhaust on order from ebay, some new body parts that were missing, an oil filter and plugs, plus Plastex--total of about $300.

Last night, I took off the left, lower covers, which appeared in good condition, but rained down broken tabs as I loosened the screws. I might need more Plastex.

[​IMG]
  2. heavyhitter

heavyhitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the KLX650!!! :clap
  3. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought this from the original owner for 15. Well maintained mechanically too. Sold off a bunch of stuff.....

[​IMG]

And it ended up like this for not much more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Heres a pic when she got redone the 1st time. When she's done this time, she'll have a lime green frame with green accents.

Attached Files:

5. Stromski

Stromski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job!

My 97 still looks like the "before" shot, but what a hoot to ride.
  6. RedFrogTango

RedFrogTango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the cb1100f for $1200. I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks.

Mike
  7. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool Mike, Lets see some pictures when you get her.
  8. RedFrogTango

RedFrogTango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. CLynn85

CLynn85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my new score, 82 KZ440, 6500 miles, $750. Could use some tuning.

[​IMG]
  10. lousgoose

lousgoose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Owned this beauty for about 6 months, sold her for a profit even. All original, '78 CB550K. Fantastic little bike, got it for 1400 cash.

[​IMG]
  11. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I picked up this 79 CB750 for $450.00 earlier on this year. Needs stuff - like chain, sprox, fork seals, tires and the carbs cleaning out, oh and a battery, but it was "sort of" running when I got it. No evidence of engine issues when it was running, just peed gasoline out of the vents. I also know the history of the bike, so no worries about finding nasties. I'll have it running for spring. I reckon $750 in maintenance and consumeables will see it right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That sissy bar was gone moments after getting it out of the truck.

I sure wish it had the 4 into 4 pipes. I'll keep my eye open for a set, but they go for big $$s.
  12. 52Degrees

52Degrees Crap Magnet

Oddometer:
    My first bike was an 84 GS550ED. I bought it for $1400, then couldn't make the loan payments (poor college days) and it got repo'd. I didn't ride again for several years.

Next bike was an 83 GPz550. I bought it in running condition for $200. The speedo didn't work, so I have no idea how close it was to the 12k on the ticker. I fixed the speedo after a few weeks of riding with my GPS and proceeded to put about 30k on it (commuting from Modesto, CA to San Leandro, CA). In that time, I broke 2 drive chains, the first because I didn't think to check or maintain it, the second because I bought the cheapest (ie: non-o-ring) chain I could find, then didn't maintain it. When that one broke, it took a chunk out of the case and bent the clutch rod. I patched the case up with JB Weld, and continued to ride through the winter. After I got a closer job (40 mile round trip rather than 150 miles), I determined that I had become far too comfortable lanesplitting at speeds in far excess of 55 mph, and parked the bike the next time it broke. It sat for a year before I sold it for $200, not running.

My latest junker, I bought for $500. It's a 1989 ZX600C Ninja. I bought it barely running, p.o. had gas dripping onto a sock serving as an air filter providing much of the fuel it needed to run. When I fixed the fuel drip and put a filter in it, it wouldn't run anymore.:huh I went through the carbs, but couldn't seem to get it right. I had it running and even rode it, but I wasn't happy. Eventually I took it to an expert. I got it back running much better, but the timing chain rattled so much I thought it would skip time.

I just put a new chain in it, should have it all back together and running tomorrow. I've learned to hate this bike. Everytime I work on it, it kicks my ass. I've never had such difficulty with anything I've ever worked on. Once I get it all purdied up and running good, I'll see if I can find some sucker to pay me a couple grand to relieve me of my misery and buy a used KLR. I think I've earned it:twitch

Here's the pic I took the day I brought it home.

[​IMG]
  13. ACDNate

ACDNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 1995 GS500E with 11k miles, excellent runner that needs a few tidbits, but nothing major. $800

[​IMG]
  14. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Looks pretty good, especially for $800
    Tony
  15. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    My current ride is a 94 CBR1000F that I bought last winter on Ebay for $1900 (I know, I'm cheating, but, well...ya). I've added a few farkles (heated grips, driving lights, trunk, seat, some suspension work, etc.) and I'm loving it. I went on a 3000+ mile tour on it (pic below) this past summer, and have put approx. 10,000 on it since I bought it, all trouble-free.

I have another one to add, but pics are on home pc, so I'll post later. This is a great thread...I love that so many people are riding and appreciating older bikes. Thanks OP!

[​IMG]
  16. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

$1600. Just a tad outside the range. Needs a lot of maintenance items, but a lot of bike for the money. 2002 Bandit 1200.

It's a buyer's market out there right now. If you have the money, it's the time to buy.

Az
    davyjones likes this.
  17. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    You need money, space, and time to buy right now.

I have a bit of money I could swing, but I'd have to stash the machinery at a friend's house, and have no time at all to actually do any work.:cry

My current bike is at my parent's, and my mom threatened to put me and my stuff on the streets if I show up with another vehicle. That is why I can't wait to move, and start my real job.:deal
  18. aplaceinspace

aplaceinspace Misanthropologist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

$1,250 OTD. When opportunity knocks be sure to have cash and a trailor.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:

Nice work.

:thumb :thumb
  20. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're going to love that bike. I have a 2001 naked 1200. I added a flyscreen richened the jetting, and changed fuel valve to pingel, but otherwise left it stock. BTW, the stock fuel valves are prone to failure and will dump gallons of fuel into your crankcase and all over the garage floor.