Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Ah, the family that navigates together....seldom gets lost because of SWMBO. :D
  2. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that rule doesn't apply to the city of Montreal. On our trip to the Garmin repair depot last week we managed to turn a 20km distance into a 60 minute tour of various freeways, subdivisions, box store parking lots.... this in spite of an excellent road atlas and two Montanas. :lol3
  3. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I should have elaborated...

One of the advantages of a paper map is being able to see how far a road stretches and what it connects with, without need for zooming in and out to make it appear.

That said, I still prefer my GPSr, not that there is anything wrong with a paper map.

Please accept my apology for any confusion I may have inadvertently created.
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    No problem; I just didn't understand what you meant.
  5. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost pulled the trigger on a new Montana today, but chickened out after re-reviewing the problems still with the unit. My poor 60csx is so small and limited but it has never failed or faltered despite having the crap beat out of it. Is this anxiety misplaced?
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    If you're happy with your 60, why upgrade?
  7. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn screen is just too small.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Well I've had my Montana for over 2 years now and have not regretted it once. It's not perfect, but it is the best there is for the moment.

And if what you REALLY want is a gps, don't let anyone suggest you wait for the Monterra.
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If what you really want is something MORE than a GPS, wait for the Monterra...:evil :rofl

Kidding aside...We don't know what the Monterra will be like re: GPS features/functions, Android features/functions, etc., so...if you need a GPS NOW, the Montana is a good choice.
  10. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:

The only time I did not like my Montana was when I was out on a big trip and it would not work. It was my fault because I had crashed and dirt was causing the screen to think I was pushing it.

[​IMG]

I had to navigate the rest of the day with my backup 60csx. It was no nearly as nice as the Montana. Luckily I was able to get it working the next morning.

I think you will read a lot of complaints on here about the Montana because this is a complaint and problem fixing thread. There are tons of them out there that people use hard and they love them. It does have its quirks and limitations and does not do some things I would like it to but I love it still. :D Nothing is perfect.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Crashed? Looks more like you "augered in"!
  12. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan,
    We just need to select the next waypoint from the route,then Go To, we cant put an intermediate WP in, as we mainly follow tracks, so the route line on the GPS is straight.
    It is a function that was easy on the 276, but we can't seem to do it on the Montana.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think many people that are accustomed to the x76/x96 series get frustrated with the floptana. It has limited and often poor routing functionality, lacks buttons, often takes many keypresses to do what could be done quickly on the x/76/x96's and has a lot of bugs for a two year old unit. It does have a very nice display, good external power connection and a PC-accessible file system with SD capability... but that's most of what I can say good about it.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I am sorry, I still don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. You say you are following TRACKS then you say your are following a ROUTE that has straight lines - which would be a Direct Route. These are two different types of data.

Pictures are worth a lot if you can do some screen captures and/or outline the steps you have taken and want to take next.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Your byline is getting old and you really didn't provide any assistance to the OP. You are a chartplotter user - help him out!
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I say tracks,I mean we are following physical tracks, using our roadbooks.The GPS is mainly used for specific waypoints, such as start & end of special test, etc. The organisers load up each days riding as a route.
    All we want to do is anywhere on the course, go into the route menu, select the next Waypoint in the list that shows as next on the roadbook, then start navigation.
    This was easy on the old units, can't seem to get it to work on Montana.
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    So you are selecting Where To, and then Waypoint, then selecting the waypoint you want to navigate to, and then hitting the GO button? Is it just failing to route you at all, or is it not routing the way the organizer has it laid out?
  18. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Route Planner, then select route, then Edit Route, select Waypoint required, but no option for Go To command,
  19. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because you are in the Route editor.

All waypoints in the route will be available from the [Waypoint Manager], or [Go To? > Waypoints].
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If atlas cache gave you what you were looking for great.

When I was doing a lot of Rollchart events where I had waypoints I used the following:

I would set my Compass Settings to Course (CDI): Setup->Heading->Go To Line/Pointer: Course(CDI).

This will give you a "course" line when you are navigating a route so you can see the direction to the NEXT Waypoint if you should miss one. Then set your Routing settings to Activity=Direct, Route Transition=Manual, Lock On Road=No.

Now when you are Navigating the Route that the organizer loaded, you must make the transition form Waypoint to waypoint in the Navigation list, if you miss a waypoint you can see it by your CDI line and you can go to Navigation Guidance (you should have it displayed at the top of the Map when Navigating) and you should have a Red Flag next what should be your next Waypoint. You can select any waypoint you want in the Route list and set it (Red Flag) as the next wayponit so that your CDI will point to it.

Hope this all helps.