GEIGERRIG Pressurized Hydration Packs

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by GEIGERRIG, Feb 5, 2011.

1. psc

psc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the Rig 1600 last week via the ADVRIDER connection. I was interested in both the engine and the day pack; the former as a stand alone unit for my other packs as well as my tank bag, the latter because I day hike almost every weekend and am looking for a day pack instead of my current Camelbak pack. This is a response to Gadgetboy’s request to post my impressions. Yet, to be fair to Geigerrig, I sent this to Bob for his response before posting them here. So below are my impressions and Bob’s comments (in red):

I've hiked with this pack for a couple of 10 mile days. Altitude 7K-9K, at 80F-85F. Below are my impressions:

Reservoir/engine <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

• The concept is an improvement from others that blows air directly into the water side. The pressurization performed well, maybe too well. See next comment. <o:p></o:p>
    • Note that the reservoir was supposed to be 3L. I found only about 2.5L capacity. With a 10 mile hike, I needed probably 3.5L at least: for me, and my three dogs. Not a complaint, but I was surprised when I ran out. Perhaps the claim that one drinks more out of the pressurized system is true:-) I note that I might be able to jam two 3L full reservoirs in the sleeve, mmm... (NOT WITHSTANDING YOUR ISSUES AND DISCUSSION HERE. CERTAINLY FAIR, AND TAKEN WITH EARS WIDE OPEN HERE AT GEIGERRIG. SOMETHING TO CONSIDER… THIS IS PRECISELY WHY THE IN-LINE FILTER IS SO IMPORTANT… THE ABILITY TO ACCESS AND REFILL WHILE ON THE TRAIL IS IMPERATIVE AND DRAMATICALLY INCREASES YOUR RANGE AND THE VOLUME AVAILABLE FOR HYDRATION. ) <o:p></o:p>
    • The wide mouth is convenient for loading and cleaning. A wide spatula inserted crosswise will prop the mouth open enough to dry the interior over night. (WE DESIGNED THIS SO THAT THE PACK CAN BE TURNED INSIDE OUT FOR CLEANING AND DRYING (EVEN IN THE DISHWASHER). NO NEED FOR THE SPATULA… WATCH THESE TWO VIDEOs <o:p></o:p>
    Note that turning inside out is the best method. I’m a lazy ass, a spatula works great, especially in the 2% humidity NM atmosphere.<o:p></o:p>
    • The drink tube can/should be at least 4" longer. I would suggest making it 6"-8" longer. Folks can always cut to their preference. I've used LONG tubes where I then loop across my chest and attach the bite-valve on the opposite shoulder strap near the top of the shoulder. (AGREED) <o:p></o:p>
    • I detected an annoying squeak when hiking. I think that this might be the rubbing of the reservoir elastic pouch to the back cover. I'll insert a rag in between to see if this stops. (POSSIBLY ALLEVIATED BY FLIPPING THE RESERVOIR AROUND IN THE RESERVOIR GARAGE. CHANGE THE BLUE SIDE TO EITHER BE CLOSER TO YOUR BACK OR FURTHER FROM YOUR BACK DEPENDING ON HOW YOU CURRENTLY HAVE IT. WE HAVEN’T HEARD OF THIS ISSUE. WE’LL LOOK INTO THIS.) I’m going to try that next.<o:p></o:p>
    Rig 1600 Pack <o:p></o:p>
    • This pack is really comfortable, especially when I use the waist belt for load bearing. The waist belt is well designed. <o:p></o:p>
    • Unfortunately, the side pockets on the waist belt are rendered almost useless when the belt is cinched tight around the waist. The pockets can be used to store stuff, but one'll have a hard time retrieving them, and worse, reinserting them without first needing to loosening the belt. This becomes a PITA. If I may suggest a different option: lose the pockets, but put in horizontal belts with ladder locks at one end (probably at the pack end). That way, the owner can customize via attaching his/her own small pouches. A strip of sewn-in horizontal daisy chain would also work, but aside from folks using malice clips or people owning bags with velcro strap closures, they'll be useless. (AGREED) Later, after a lengthy conversation with Bob, I discovered the hole in the bottom of the pack that the tubing from the pressure bulb can be threaded through, with the bulb residing in one of those waist belt side pockets. Hey! That’s where the bulb will sit from now on.<o:p></o:p>
    • I wish for more daisy chain or loop attachment on the shoulder straps to place my GPS pouch and attach points for a camera bag. I understand that this is a minimalist day pack. But hope springs eternal :-) (AGREED) <o:p></o:p>
    • Note: When loading up the pack, it's best to insert the full water bag FIRST! The other items in the main pocket can then be inserted to nestle around the contour of the full reservoir. I discovered this while packing the first time, when the full reservoir just will not go in all the way! This brings up an interesting question as to what happens when I have to refill. I am guessing that since this is a day pack, I really don't have to unload too much in order to insert the reservoir. But it may become a tedium for some. (I’D LIKE TO DISCUSS THIS. I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS. 801-823-3336) The nature of the reservoir is such that there will be incursion of space into the main pack cavity. So it’s just a matter of judicious pack planning.<o:p></o:p>
    • I like the elastic mesh cover for the bulb. Unfortunately I cannot take it off the should strap due to the triple (?) stitched ends of the strap from the ladder lock. I don't want to cut the ends just to remove the cover. (I CAN SEND YOU A VELCRO ONE THAT CAN SWITCH FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER IF YOU WOULD LIKE. PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL ABOUT THIS. 801-823-3336) <o:p></o:p>
    • Because of that, I cannot swap the pressure/drink sides. This is an idiosyncrasy of mine: I am so used to drinking from the left side that it was a bit awkward at first. Bob solved it for me: see his remark in the previous statement, and see statement [2] also.
    • The zippered side pockets on the pack are mostly useless to me. I suppose that I can place my Clif/Power bars there. All other items are probably too big and or require dismounting and accessing the main compartment. It would be great to have an elastic pocket to have additional water bottles. I have those on my other packs for the dogs' water supply. Alternately, if the zippers are sewn in reverse, i.e. open zipper from the top and down, then I can actually stop the zipper travel via duct tape on the side. That way, I'll have two open top pockets. <o:p></o:p>
    • To once again misuse/abuse the term: I am a Luddite and have no used for any iPod on the trail. I like quiet hiking and hear bears fart in the woods.:ear So that small pocket is lost to me. I would however like to see some daisy chain and a ice axe loop on the bottom. <o:p></o:p>
    • Finally, I would like to see a bigger pack ~2200 for an overnight size. I am toying with the idea of getting a wilderness first responder certificate. If successful, I'll need a bigger pack for all the extra gewgaws. Are you planning for a bigger pack? I'd get it in a heartbeat for another reason: when my wife hikes with me, apparently the fine print on the marriage license requires that I carry her load also: extra trail mix, sweater, rain gear, etc. :deal<o:p></o:p>
    I thank you for developing a big improvement over the standard Camelbak system. I am sold on the concept and will be getting one for my wife in the future. The ease of cleaning/handling is for me the major advantage. The pressurization is a nice bonus. The comments above are really personal observations and by no means am I denigrating your product. I hope that you'll receive them in that spirit.

Peter<o:p></o:p>
  2. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GEIGERRIG Hydration Packs was selected to be featured On "World's Greatest" as "World's Greatest Hydration Pack" on ION Television. We obtained permission to provide you with a sneak preview of the segment that will air in July...

"World's Greatest!...." is a fast-paced tour around the world featuring behind-the-scenes footage and interviews of some of the most amazing and unique companies, products, people, and travel destinations the world has to offer!
    The 4th season of "World's Greatest!...." is already underway and this year we're out to knock your socks off with a whole new line-up of some of the most respected and visionary people and companies that you'll ever see! From household names that you've grown up with, to family owned companies that are making a name for themselves....

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X69e6pLTNbQ" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I also found the after taste pretty strong. I contacted the vendor and even though he was in Australia he responded within hours and a new bladder was on the way. It had the same taste so I thought it was just me. I washed it once in the dish washer and the taste remained. Even offered a few sample glasses of water that had sat in the bladder for a few hours to my brother and my wife. Both found it off putting. My solution was to turn the bladder inside out (as per the washing instructions) I then stuffed a large plastic bottle inside it so it would stand up in the machine and ran it through the dish washer 3 more times on the longest cycle. Taste is gone. Even water that has stayed in the bladder for a few days tastes great. Love the product and obviously the customer service is incredible. :D:D:D:D:D

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will the 3L hydro pack fit into a RIG 500?
  5. AnnieGS

AnnieGS Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer:
    I know of one Geigerrig user who lost the mouthpiece after an off-road get-off and was quite frustrated that their pack would be useless for the rest of their 6-week trip.

It's a nice piece of equipment, but it's probably a good idea to carry an extra mouthpiece...and any other Geigerrig-specific parts. :dunno
  6. Gargoyle

Oddometer:
    And if they crashed and lost the mouthpiece off a Camelbak everything would have been OK? I think not.
  7. AnnieGS

Oddometer:
    You can get a Camelbak and/or related replacement parts at just about any decent-sized camping or sporting goods store. Geigerrig? Not so much...yet. :dunno
  8. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    mouthpiece "falling off" a camelback. don't see how. i can barely pull it off for cleaning.

no experience with this products mouthpiece. any close ups?
  9. AnnieGS

Oddometer:
    I lost one once when I landed on my back - it was blown right off.
  10. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yo... ADV Riders... We appreciate the inquiry and discussion here... Below are 3 videos that show close ups of the product, show us exploding a bomb inside a pack, and demonstrating durability and construction by throwing it out of truck onto asphalt multiple times. I think that this may answer some of the more recent discussion...as well we offer a lifetime warranty for leakage... just "contact us" on our website if something happens to your bite valve and pack. We'd love to provide the appropriate customer service:

1) Just Released: GEIGERRIG selected for "World's Greatest" along with Volvo, Marriot and Komatsu Engineering. To be aired in July on ION Television. Shows some good close ups of bite valve.
    "World's Greatest!.... is a fast-paced tour around the world featuring behind-the-scenes footage and interviews of some of the most amazing and unique companies, products, people, and travel destinations the world has to offer!"
    </IFRAME>
    <IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X69e6pLTNbQ" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Bomb Placed Inside Pack To Test Hydration Engine Durability
    <IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zd48bBwLIUA" frameBorder=0 width=425 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Hydration Pack Thrown From Vehicle at 100MPH Onto Asphalt Multiple Times
    <IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2SwL7xUb4Ao" frameBorder=0 width=425 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

For A Quick Reference Of Some Geigerrig Reviews Click Here
  11. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All GEIGERRIG packs will holster the GEIGERRIG 3L Hydration Engine.

12. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob,

I sent you an email and a video through your website about my mouthpiece. Can you please check it out.
    Thanks.
  13. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER Getting There!

Oddometer:
    Owning approximately 6 Camelbacks I have to say, that the Geigerrig is a very nice concept.
    Being in the nylon goods industry, they could stand to upgrade the thread used on the actual backpacks that the hydration unit is in. The thread is not bonded and similar to most of the low end tactical packs such as made by Condor. Nice stuff, well put together, but it would be a 200% improvement if they just used 69 bonded or 92 bonded nylon thread.
    The hardware is also a little lacking. This is a relative subject and could go either way. If you are simply commuting with it, and never intend on going hardcore offroad, or using it as a bugout bag for a bike, then it is good to go. If you intend on using it as a bugout bag, or will be potentially doing some adventure riding, then you should just buy the Hydration Engine which will be hit on below and install it into a Maxpedition pack or Tactical Assault Gear pack. I purchased the larger digital color bag to try it out with the larger I think 3 liter bladder. I also purchased an additional bladder hydration engine for my Maxpedition pack. The hardware used on the packs provided by Geigerrig is the cheaper made in china kind and not the good stuff, and can easily break. Now, I know that they contract another company to make these, and most likely just have their name put on the packs. But again, they are satisfactory. I am biased and mostly spoiled as I have had a lot of experience with gear for the past 20 years. I notice the small things.

The Hydration Engine on the other hand is by far the best concept and quality when it comes to the actual bladder. The open top zip feature is extremely handy for using your own drink mixes in and for cleaning after. The large mouth camel backs do not even compete with this new concept. The air bulb is quality, but the release valve knob seems just a little cheap. The hose is standard hose just as camel back uses. The bite valve seems to be okay as well. The best thing is that you don't have to suck, and when you bite that valve, the water rushes out. I really packed the dogshit out of the packs, and the bladders held with ABSOLUTELY no issues at all whatsoever. It performed flawlessly and rapidly.

If this gets to the manufacturers, upgrade the air release valve to be more robust. Put neoprene covers on the hoses as an option if the military picks them up. Don't change anything about the concept and bladder. Ask that the manufacturers of the bags use 69 bonded nylon, or 92 bonded nylon. Upgrade the hardware to ITW Ghilitex IR Reducing if the military picks them up. Other than that. I would strongly recommend this system to anyone who is on the fence on whether to replace their camelback or get this system. Job well done.
  14. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER Getting There!

Oddometer:
    You can also use the Mcnett personal filtration units with these which are good for up to 50 gallons. My camelback quick disconnect fittings also fit the Geigerrig fittings. This is a great feature for the bugout bag as well as for those cases when your all day intended ride with limited water in your pack turns out to be a 3 day breakdown in the middle of nowhere with just the water on the ground. Shipping on my pack was extremely fast, as well as the companies communication with my order.
    Military Water filter good for up to 50 gallons.
    http://www.urbanertslings.com/frprulwafisy.html
    Aqua-Mira water purification tablets to supplement the above filter.
    http://www.urbanertslings.com/aqwaputa.html
  15. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    OK, I need and want anything called a bugout bag...What IS a bugout bag???
  16. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    It's a bag/pack you keep loaded and ready to go in case you need/want to bug out.
  17. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ADV RIDERS... (MORE GEIGERRIG OFFERS TO ALL OF YOU)

GEIGERRIG Hydration Packs would like to thank you for all of this great discussion and use of our premier hydration system. We love the great feedback and discussion that we see here and that we get to have with you by e-mail. Some of the e-mails and pictures received today were hilarious and motivating!

Accordingly, we would like to further extend to you our premier coalition of outdoor excitement and fun....

GEIGERRIG and Skullcandy have teamed up with Browning & Winchester, Ibis Bikes, Goode Skis, Ski Magazine, Freeskier Magazine, Snowboard Magazine, Mountain Reservation.com, and over 30 mountain resorts through the United States and Canada to provide anyone who purchases a GEIGERRIG Hydration Pack with free lift passes, free magazine subscriptions and more.

To view and flip through the the Skullcandy Mountain Passport (click here)

To visit and shop GEIGERRIG (click here)

For a quick snap-shot of GEIGERRIG reviews and testimonials (click here)

Anyone who has purchased a GEIGERRIG Hydration Pack (Complete Backpack Systems Only) in the past 12 months is entitled to receive a Skullcandy Mountain Passport if they e-mail a picture of themselves and their GEIGERRIG pack to bob@hubcityoutdoor.com. Send us a sexy picture, and tell us about your experience thus far with your GEIGERRIG Pack, and we may use it in a future GEIGERRIG ad - only with your permission of course.

All future shipments of GEIGERRIG packs to retailers will have these Mountain Passports affixed to the pack. Anyone who purchases a pack from a store that for some reason is missing an affixed Mountain Passport can e-mail us a picture of yourself and your GEIGERRIG pack to bob@hubcityoutdoor.com. We'll send you a free Passport in the mail.

SkullCandyPassport.jpg
  18. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    We put this in our TAT ride report already, but we had to chime in on this thread. I bought the GeigerRig 1600 for our TAT ride and it was indespensible! We left a bit early to beat the heat, but we ended up riding in 90 - 100+ degree temps just about every day. Oh did I forget to mention that it was muggy too?

Anyway, each morning I filled the Rig up with icecubes and water and by the end of the day the water was cold to cool despite the wicked temps. How cold was the water? Check out these pics of me cooling off Kim and you decide...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cold! :lol3

Anyway, the GeigerRig worked great and we won't ride without one. In fact, now Kim wants her own. So if you ask us, the GeigerRig was worth every penney we spent on it. :clap

Oh and if you want to see the whole RR, it's here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687532
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    It probably had something to do with the exceptional value added, the overwhelming customer service and response.

I am more than grateful and have no issue with this being sticky.

Great vendor :nod

20. Gargoyle

Oddometer:
    See post #15 and then ask Gadget Boy.

I am glad this post was stickied or I wouldn't have seen it. Now I own 2 RIGs.