450cc ADV bikes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tokyoklahoma, Jan 20, 2012.

1. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did another 200 miles or so on my ol XT-350 Yam. The only thing missing on this bike is the magic button. My ol "plonker" status precludes the need for a lot more suspension (tho it would be nice), the 4 gal tank give me enuff range as it gets 50+ MPG, and the REAL seat is good enuff for extended pavement use at 60 MPH. Noticed on a sticker on the swing arm as I was servicing the chain: MAX load, 198 lbs. Given I'm near 200 with gear on, the 40 lbs of camp/cook gear definitely put me in over load. :D

I guess I'll look for a 570 Husaberg now... or save $4K and get another DRZ. :D
  2. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    George 99,
    My 1985 XR350R is almost identical. Great fuel economy (45+mpg), plated, and a 6-speed that can handle tight woods & still go 70mph down the road, and that seat. Holy crap it's like a damn lazy-boy. Not too bad for a bike that's as old as me.

That being said, its an old feeling machine in rough stuff. The tight stuff you can push and go a good clip, but open whoops, and things where you need power, it doesn't have what it takes. It's still a hella fun machine to just gas n bash through stuff. And yes, cost significantly less than any other bike I've owned.

Andrew
  3. George 99

Oddometer:
  4. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience you can you .04 miles after service before explosion. There is some fudge factor built into the published figure. :D
  5. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
  6. George 99

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt it can be done. I carry less weight than mentioned in that thread when out for a month on my st1100. Done so for 4 days on my XT-350... It's all just a question of reliability and total weight. And a Magic Button! Sure wish the DR-Z 400 had a six speed.

Maybe I'll try to find an old DR-350 and bump it up a little. :D
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Definitely at the dirtier end of ADV riding, and for that particular subset of compromises the 500 EXC (an orange bike ...shhhhh!) seems to work well. I wonder how it would fare with 1000+ miles of slabbing on either end of the trip?

Planning a Big Bend dualsport ride one of these days and will have to slab 800+ miles each way on my DR-350. I'm fairly confident it will do it but expect I'll be wishing for my comfy 1100GS long before I get 1/2 way there - and glad I'm not on the big girl once I hit that S. Texas dirt.
  8. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    total mileage for the trip 556... great dual sport bike and a nice ride.. 556 miles does not make an adventure bike. OP asked about 450cc bikes in the Dakar leading to better 450cc adventure bikes..he muddied the water when he threw in the words Dual Sport in the same post.. I dont think Dual Sport and Adventure are the same thing. Everyone knows there are some great DS 450's out there.
  9. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

Not sayin it was a shitty ride or no fun but unless there's more pics that didn't get posted everything shown was doable on anything. Any old Virago would have been fine, they're just dirt roads for Pete's sake look at the car tracks, no reason to need a small bike for that.
  10. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    true story i do much worse on my xt. granted you can do way better powerslides and wheelies with his setup but even those get old after a while.
  11. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    An ADV bike is just a specialized DS bike.

Wish this thread would just die...stubborn people who won't admit that what is being asked for ALREADY EXISTS!

Title should read "450cc Japanese DS/ADV bikes", because that is obviously what is in fact being asked for.
  12. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    It was a test run...seeing how spartan he could get with gear, how the road manners and distance riding was, what kind of mileage.

I think he knows how well it does in the dirt:deal
  13. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it, I wasn't berating anything just stating a fact. :deal
  14. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Oh I think the KTM 500 is the best step yet, along with the Husaberg 570 towards the answer.. they just need more oil capacity to really get the job done.. here is a link to a Husaber 570 on a real adventure ride..http://www.facebook.com/#!/HusabergAdventureTeam

.. I have no doubt the 500 could be used the same way. However, both require compromises that could be addressed by the manufacturers.
  15. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep you're right 3N, but there's not a single bike out there that would be more fun on that stuff than that SE in your sig line. :lol3:lol3 Ask me how I know. :evil:evil

My FE450 has been great to me! Wouldn't think twice about doing a full TAT run on it. Valve check can be done trail side in under 30 min. Oil capacity is easy to cure...build your own oil cooler. Oil is easy to find...Rotella T at any Walmart. Seat by Renazco...no more monkey butt. Kreiga and Wolfman Rollie bags. Plenty of fuel tank options. Rear wheel with cush drive hub from a KTM 640. Let's roll, and it's a 450. :D
  16. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good set up you have going there. I think a 45 is a great DS bike but they just don't transfer to true ADV duty well.
  17. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck...I can have an adventure on my HD. Come to think of it every time I get on it I have an adventure dodgin nuts in cages. :lol3 :lol3

There's stuff on the TAT I wouldn't think of puttin my SE on, but I'd put my FE on any and every part of it. The TAT's an adventure right? :D
  18. George 99

Oddometer:
    Adventure is where ya find it... but I consider an "Adventure Bike" to be one capable of both significant dirt and significant pavement, on one tank of gas... at least 250 miles. 300 lbs. unloaded is my goal for the upper weight limit. 'Lectric start is a must...

All that being said, I've ridden my STs on many tracks GSs will never see, and I've ridden my ol' XT-350 Yam on thousand mile weekends. This thread is giving me more ideas for my "ultimate ADV bike." The Hasulberg Andes Adventure is inspiring...

BTW, here's a link to their actual web site, with details of the record-setting ride. Start at the bottom.
  19. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Well if just go to their website... you miss the whole adventure piece. The climb up the mountain was a ride any FI 450/500 could do.. the ride back up to Montana by one of the teammates is the true adventure piece.. IMHO
  20. George 99

Oddometer:
    MRT, the original note had the link to their adventure but not to the details of the climb. I read thru both... Those guys are great at what they do, both riding and living the good life. I wanna do more of that eype ride myself. :D