What did you do with your Trials Bike today?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no real need for o-ring chains on trials bikes. Get a heavy duty RK and your problems will be over. IRIS chains are pretty much the cheapest ones available, and thats the reason they seem to get fitted as OE on some makes of bike.............
  2. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Got some pretty good trials practice in yesterday. We have a two day event at Sipapu coming up this weekend, so I needed it.

The Cholla are just blooming and loaded with buds. They should be spectacular in about a week. [​IMG]

GeeGee is improving by leaps and bounds. :huh

[​IMG]

He is riding Master Class now. In our club, that is one down from Champ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here he is doing a splatter.

[​IMG]

Seems like not a huge deal (from this angle), we see guys doing that all the time.............until you see his target to hit and land on.

[​IMG]

:loco

[​IMG]
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

Nice. Looks like you don't have to worry about quad idiots widening the trails. Makes the trials bike look like a powered mountain bike.

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien? :lol3 like it.
  4. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you never seen his # plate. He be a ROBO Rider. So cool cuz I really like the bike! And most people would not ride it just not understanding it. Thanks ROB! On the flip side I always wanted to get Rob on a real Bike!:D
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
  7. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Broke a spoke on the Montessa...

[​IMG]
  8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Broke my knee on the Sherco. The spoke will be an easier fix
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Broke like in BROKE? :cry
  10. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Broke as in ACL.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    1 st Time? You must be new to trials!:D:evil:rofl
    Seriously nothing funny about that riding injury. Hope you can get in right away! The surgery itself sure has come a long way, but the recovery time is a lot longer than what most Doc`s tell you!
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Ouch. CHeck out Dr. Mark Sanders in Houston. He did mine and the recovery was pretty quick. I was walking the night of the surgery, ridng a stationary bike at three days, and still limping at 6 months! :rofl

It is not a deal breaker, but ACLs are terrible.
    The pre-op PT is equally as important as the post-op, so as soon as you can, I would start doing biking or anything to keep your ROM. You will only have the ROM after as you had before the surgery.

Good luck with the whole deal!
  13. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, first ACL. Banged the knees up a few times before where they hurt a little but nothing like this. First time with the bad popping going on inside.
    I have an overpriced slip on brace from the doctor's office now, at least I can now walk and go to work. The current plan is to give the brace some time and see if it will be stable without surgery. On the second day of the brace now. It really does wonders in stabalizing the knee. Trouble is I can really feel it stabalizing the knee. I am fairly sure this one will need surgery. That will leave my brother as the only one in the family to avoid knee surgery (for now anyway). I am probably a little lucky that I have done as well for as long as I have given both sides of the family history.

Next step will be MRI to see what all damage has been done and what it will take to fix it. How much recovery there is likely to be.

I hear the CTI(?) braces are great if you can get insurance to pay for them. If not I am considering an off the shelf knee brace. Asterisk looks pretty good from my quick and limited research. Most everything I can research revolves around riding go-fast bikes. Anyone have any suggestions that might be a little better for trials? Preferably someone who has had some time in them.

The bad part is all the banging up I have done in the past convinced me to get a decent set of knee pads. This was the first ride with them. They worked GREAT! Not a scratch, not a bruise! Trouble is they were only knee pads, not knee braces. They did nothing to keep the knee from getting ripped up internally. I will probably have a set of nice knee pads sitting around that have only been used once. Maybe I can use them later for something like laying down hardwood flooring?
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I used to not even wear knee pads or any protection for my knees until I hyperextended one and tore the ACL.
    That was about three years ago and I now religiously wear Asterisks for all dirt riiding (even trials).

I am not going to get into a debate about knee braces but I am 99% sure that if I had them on when I first tore it up, it would not have happened. That's enough reason for me.

Oh yeah, opposite patella graft heals faster than the hamstring graft. :nod
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I sure wish I could upload a vhs tape from `93 to see my knee blow a part while riding a ride off section in Champ. Gotta thank Bud Cole for the copy of that video!
    I have worn CTI2`s since 1995. I could or would not ride without them. You would not believe how much abuse I have put them thru. Best invention ever for people that should not ride!:eek1
    Down side is you should wear some kind of sleeve. Great in the winter, but hot events can be grueling. I have looked at other braces , none seem to have the same amount of durability.
    If you need the surgery do it. They might try to tell you just therapy. Yes, you can nurse it along but it will work better fixed. It took me almost 18 months to feel really good. Some have tried to come back too soon and paid with another surgery.
    I took out my first knee out on my 16th birthday and my last one on my 43rd. Everytime time on a trials bike. So I`ve limped along for years, now 53. The braces have kept me in it.
    I could just yell, my wife just found a ride to the trials this weekend. So I could`ve left today!!! Oh well, put off too much. Friday morning at 6 will put on site by 9am. :clap:clap:clap
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Yeah, I'll say. Took this pic of him just chillin' dead stick. Gordy and Poppa Kyle discussing techniques in the background -

[​IMG]

A couple more of Gee(squared) on the same silly-assed splatter -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He gets the front wheel up just THAT MUCH more, and he's in Champ territory. :deal
  17. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Damn kids!! :bluduh
  18. stkman

stkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran a couple of MX chains on my Montesa 4RT ... they lasted about a year before requiring replacement. Now I run a DID VT2 narrow x-ring enduro chain. Has been on there for 2 years and have yet to adjust it. Not even 1/5 worn!

Andrew
  19. arapaho

arapaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's about what others have said too on various other forums.

And I guess the narrow factor helps with all the plastic sliders and tensioners too. My cheapo performance parts chain is nearly rubbing on the case saver. It was a tight fit getting it in there.
  20. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    More B-town buffoonery today.

GeeGee -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Gordy doin' some big stuff -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Freakin' kids.... :lol3