The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Schelbi

Schelbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the Boano tank has 2 fuel caps does that mean it has 2 separated gas tanks?
    So if you destroy one of them you still have the other half of your gas left?

Nice!
  2. gpmucci

gpmucci gpmucci

Oddometer:
    Yes!
  3. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my bash plate back today. All finished and powder coated white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Mika_AT

Mika_AT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what muffs model ?
  5. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think African Queens tanks are better quality . Here's the link with the picture of African Queens tank , just scroll down :

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/82587-africa-twin-tanks.html

You can compare AQ and my Boano tank photos and see the difference in finish and quality. It's so much sanding and filling has to be done to match the sides so left and right looks even and before painting Boano tank, it's not even funny!!! Fiberglass cloth sticking out in some places . Who ever made a mold for this tank never took the stickers of the original that was used as a mold making dummy tank, so there's prints of that and etc. I would never put my name on a product like this , but it's just me. I heard the guys that bought the rally fairings from Boano said that a lot of work is needed to fit it right and prep it for painting. I hope my tank won't leak , I'm still waiting for the inner coating to dry , because when I received it the tank inside was still wet . Brackets to attach the side plastics don't line up and I can keep going...
    The idea itself is good , an independent dual tank that's robust and light. If you crash badly in the middle of nowhere and crack one side , you can still limp to civilization on half the tank.
    If it was "Made in USA" tank of this quality delivered to my door, I would have returned it the same day and cursed the seller out over the phone.
    I'll let you know if it's leaking or not in couple off days after I fill it up :huh.
  6. iswoolley

iswoolley Restless traveller

Oddometer:
    I've had a suspension kit from Boano, and the variation in quality is staggering. The CNC milled yokes are beautiful, whereas the fibreglass fender was terrible and I never got it to fit, let alone look good. Also the kit is promoted as a 'bolt on', but doesn't have several critical parts. I would hesitate to buy from them again.

Iain (2002 RD07A)
  7. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. al bowlly

al bowlly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been struggling to get my AT back on the road for far too long. It's a 1998 model with only 18000km. The problem started with a bit of lag around 5000 rpms. I changed to a facet fuel pump and started having issues with the bike seemingly running out of gas when it had plenty. I have had it to the local Honda shop to have the carbs cleaned, to an independent mechanic who cleaned the tank and carbs (replaced a cracked jet from the honda shop visit). It runs great for anywhere from 10 to 25 miles then has the fuel starved symptoms. Every time it will recrank and run for a few miles before doing it again. I have also replaced the facet with another and also replaced the fuel pump relay and also have bypassed the relay. I've pretty much eliminated fuel related issues so I guess it's on to the electrical systems. Anyone have similar issues?

[​IMG]
  9. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Some bikes (notably Goldwings) have had problems with their ignition pickup sensors.

When the oil heats up one (or both...there are 2 in that model AT IIRC)ignition sensor fails. Once the bike cools a bit it works again. Frustrating to diagnose and hunt down for obvious reasons. This MAY be your problem.

Or you could just sell the bike (dibs !)
  10. al bowlly

al bowlly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL

Interesting. I will definitely look into that. My fear has been that the symptoms are a result of a bad CDI unit.
  11. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:

Check whether your breather pipes on the AT are routed correctly and open. A vcauum lock in the tanks (due to a blocked breather hose) will also cause that. Easiest way- when she stalls- unlock the fuel cap- if it goes pfffttt- you've got vacuum issues.
  12. diskow

diskow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had!
    After my Tunisia Trip

I cleaned the tank completely
    I cleaned small Tank filter inside the fuel tank
    I cleaned my Mikuni fuel pump

everything was the same

Than I changed my Fuel Filter "again after the trip" and the problem stopped immediately.
    Now after 5000km never occurred again.

so my problem was Fuel Filter.
    Replace one.
  13. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Any AT owners in Germany that could look at a bike for me. Send me a PM Thanks
  14. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check the airbox rubbers to the carbs and make sure they are secure and have not popped off due to overtightening of the clamps. Never torque them tight like an ordinary hose clamp or you will not get a proper seal.
    You could also check for a vacum leak from the 2 sources above the carbs where you would tap in to source a Scott Oiler or a previous vacum fuel pump.
    Choke plungers working correctly? You have 12 volts at the pump I'm assuming when it's running?
  15. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem and it was a blocked fuel filter between the petcock and the fuel pump.
  16. RiderMakis

RiderMakis Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's quite possible. :thumbup It's always something simple that fixes it in the end...well most of the time. :D
  18. al bowlly

al bowlly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can only hope. Thanks for the suggestions.:thumbup:thumbup
  19. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's an old topic I know. I'm looking at improving my front suspension as that's one area on my AT that has been neglected. To the best of my knowledge
    the springs are OEM and I've serviced them once or twice by draining and replenishing fluid...and that's about it other than I do have a quality rear Wilbur's shock.
    The dive I've been experiencing as of late is now becoming a safety issue.

Now I just read the informative post from Ray 4325 regarding Ricor Intimidators. From what I understand they work best with the stock springs...correct? So...anyone
    installed these on their RD07A?
    http://store.ricorshocks.com/product_p/043-20-1001at.htm
    Anything I need to know Ray? Is it plug n' play? Installing these intimidors is an option for me to buy from the USA and not have to have progressive springs shipped over
    from Europe such as wirth, hyperpro or Yacugar. Not to mention shipping cost for those heavy springs. Thanks.
  20. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    GSPD750, have you considered Race tech Emulators? :1drink
    Thay seem to be of somewhat superior design...