Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great report lobolator!! :D Now think of how boring your report would have been if you had taken the car!! :lol3 On a bike it's always an adventure.

Mike
  2. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Good job Lobolator,I always laugh when people say you gotta have a big bike,it ain't true,heck people even think my KLR650 is to small,then I ask um"so where do you go on that big bike of yours?and why does it have a battery tender attached to it?"just my observations,to many miles on a Ninja250 I guess.
  3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for you! Just pack it up and go. I ride all year round and rode PA to FL for bike week last month, on a scooter. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876281
  4. lobolator

lobolator Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got a lot of bug eyed looks when they realized where I was from and what I was on. Even had a HD rider crap his pants, once he realized what I was doing.
    The only advantage to a bigger bike would have been a little more grunt at 70mph and more weight against the wind.
    My ass would still be sore, same with the shoulder.
    Lots of good gas station conversations were had 1) because of the little bike, 2) because it had a NH plate way down south, and 3) because it was a motorcycle out and about in April, like a crazy person. I didn't tell them I had just ridden all winter on studded tires in the Arctic like NH.
    As on my other various long distance motorcycle trips, people just gravitate towards a bike. Maybe it's because they realize you are alone or they just want a conversation, I don't know, but I've met some great people and had some crazy conversations. That never really happened as much doing the same in a cage.
  5. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip! I high sided a CL450 just off the Kanc, on that left just opposite the old ski jump place. Went in too fast, just before the covered bridge (Dougway?). Last thing I saw were sparks coming off the left foot peg, which forced the rear tire off the ground. Then, when the tire made contact again, it was like a sling shot. Live and learn, I've slowed down a lot now. We all get strange looks from folks when riding a 250, had a kid in the passenger's seat in a cage look at me on mine, on the interstate, his eyes were like saucers.
  6. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true. So true. And many of the people who want to talk either own a bike or used to own one. They get it. Some of them want to be doing what you're doing right then at that very moment! What I find funny too is that you can be parked in a field of cars. If one other motorcyclist joins the group - you are suddenly his best friend. They will walk up to you and chat with you first. There is an instant connection there simply because you are riding a bike also.

Mike
  7. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    That is awsome. I am fairly new to the motorcycle world. About a year and a half and half of that time was on a 150cc scooter so I couldn't leave town. Partly cus it wouldn't go past 55 and partly cus I didn't trust it. But since I got my tu250 in sep I put 8000 miles on it mostly to work. Living in az I can ride all winter long with no problem. I make 200 mile trips through the mountains once in a while but have never left the state. Everyone keeps telling me I need a bigger bike which I know is not true. This is very inspiring to see some one make a trip like that on a 250. I guess the only thing I really need is storage compartments on the bike so I can make it happen. I have always liked those klxs but was under the impression they didn't do well on the street. :clap what mpg did you get with wind and high speeds?
  8. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Simple, but effective throttle lock is a 175 cable tie (zip tie) placed around the grip, snugged up and shortened so it rests against the brake lever. Rotate it forward against the brake at your desired speed; snug it up if it doesnt hold; use a small pointed knife to release the catch if you get too tight or want to remove it for off road. Rotating the throttle off releases it.
  9. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna try that,great idea
  10. lobolator

Oddometer:
    Worst mileage due to WOT into the wind was about 55mpg. Average was about 62mpg on the highway.
    At home around town I get 65-70mpg.
    The KLX on the highway is definitely stretching it's legs all the way. But it will do an actual 80mph(the speedo said 94 once :eek1, but it lies) if you get a good draft to help it get up there, not that I recommend drafting.
    If you want to pass, better plan way ahead.
    Love the KLX, 16000 miles in 13 months. No problems except bad gas clogging my jets. On road or off it just keeps on going, a couple of times without me.:huh
  11. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    The rest area you stopped at was it the welcome to nc one ? If so I could have recommended a quieter place near by
  12. lobolator

Oddometer:
    The picnic table did have a roof, which at the time seemed good enough, and it was free. I was so close to falling asleep on the bike it didn't matter and I had earplugs, but do tell. I will be doing a repeat in September.
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your report is quite inspirational!

I also have a '12 and I want to travel a bit on it, but haven't yet. I did pick up an IMS 3 gal tank last week(not installed yet). I have had a windscreen on it since day one, I'm older now and can't stand the direct blast anymore. I would like to pick up some side bags, yours look like a good fit. Do you have some kind of bag support under those? or are they just resting on your plastics? Have you done any sprocket changes? And lastly, did you have any oil usage on the trip? Alot of thumpers at those kinds of speed MAY use a little oil(Yep, I'm an ex-KLR owner).

Again, nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Mine last summer...
    [​IMG]
  14. lobolator

Oddometer:
    I too had a windscreen but much smaller, I stole the one off my old EX-500, literally tied it on as a test, it worked so I just left it. It was just enough to get the blast off the chest and over the shoulders.
    I didn't have anything under the bags and melted the right side a bit because of it, despite loading that side much lighter. PM Racks has a real nice side rack that will fix that problem, can't wait to get one.
    I ran stock gearing for the trip. I have gone to lower gearing for off-road but higher wouldn't work IMO because a good head wind can force a downshift on stock gearing, higher would be even worse. Maybe it'd work if you get a 351 kit, IDK.
    And yes there is a teaspoon of oil in my catch bottle, must have vaporized some at high rpm, gone up the crankcase breather tube into the air box, but otherwise no detectable usage.
  15. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    Ok that's comparable mpg to my tu250 I ride 50 miles round trip a day for work mostly highway indicated 75 not sure how much gauge is off my guess is prob close to 10%. I get around 63 mpg worst was 56 best 70 I'm sure it would get better around town but I have never ridden a full tank not going on highway. And unfortunately there's not really roads here that are less than 65 mph. I'm just trying to get an idea how it compares to other 250s. Lots of mountains here if I go out side of the valley but I does good on them I go up one that's about 1400 ft difference in about 10 miles it holds 4th gear at indicated 70 mph just fine. But I have still always loved the enduro look. I just don't know if I would ever take it off road.
  16. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Iron Butt Motel -----
  17. Mero

Mero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone know where the yellow single kill switch wire runs to? I have found a wiring diagram but I cant see where the wire actually runs to. I dug this out of my parents back yard and am trying to get er going again after 15 years of sitting.
  18. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice!:clap:clap:clap
  19. dalehazelton

dalehazelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn - sleeping under a picnic table - now THAT'S minimalist!
  20. dalehazelton

dalehazelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's the CRF250L on day 1. I have about 400 miles on it and I have to say I think it's a keeper. I can't imagine needing any more cc's than this for bopping around. The DR200 was great but a bit anemic for me, and this has just enough oomph to keep me happy. I rode my VFR800 today on mostly secondary roads and it seemed like such overkill. Plus there were some crappy potholed tertiary roads I passed by because the VFR suspension isn't made for that. If only Honda would introduce a revised Transalp, I think I would be very happy. [​IMG]