Musings on the Whooo-sa-berg FE570

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CodeMonkee, Jun 7, 2009.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
  3. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I just noticed you said that. I could have sworn I saw this mentioned elsewhere. I think I do want to try a much lighter oil in it.

The paper I got with it says it comes with 5 wt. oil.
  4. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:
    That lever will break off in your first tip over:evil
  5. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    The clutch?

Maybe. Maybe it would just get pushed in.

Either way I am probably going to take it off. I don't really need it and there is no real reason to risk it.
  6. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    THanks.:clap
  7. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I'll give that, or something like it, a try.

I went riding Sunday and I am actually getting to the point where I don't suck - badly.

Anyway, the damper has helped everywhere off-road. I haven't yet changed the oil yet, but I am still thinking I will.

A bolt on the clamp for the clutch fell out, so I am going to just go ahead and remove the whole thing. I need to get some different mirrors - the ones that came with the bike are almost useless.

I tried 'soft' v. 'aggressive' mapping modes and noticed a difference, but not a lot. I did get it up to 90 MPH indicated on pavement but ran out of room and it was pretty much topped off there with the stock gearing. From now on I will just run 'soft' off-road and 'aggressive' on the pavement. I have more than enough power off-road. On the road I could use more - but then I am used to my Ducati and I didn't buy the Hussy for the street. I can get out of the way of most cars in most situations I am likely to encounter when on the pavement between the trail and 'base' so I am fine with the power as is. If I were to want to ride a lot of pavement I would maybe want more juice.

Now that I don't feel so out of control in the tech stuff and I am managing to be able to feel like I am in more control at idle speed (or even a little faster), I think I will just take a couple links out of the chain and settle for the 13 tooth front sprocket and not bother with a larger rear sprocket. The bike lugs a bit in sixth at 60 MPH, and is capable of 90 MPH if I tuck in, so I don't think I will miss much top end with one less tooth up front.

I washed the bike and let it dry some. I always startup a bike and ride it up and down the street a bit after that. By that time it was almost dark. I noticed headlights on the bike are pretty much useless for street illumination. Maybe it is the suspension and my weight, but if I am going to do any night riding (I rarely do, but you never know) then some adjunctive/alternative lighting will be needed.

Other than that, I am having a lot of fun with the bike and it is serving its purpose of getting me off the couch. I doubt I will ride the Ducati much this winter, but I am going to try to get muddy with the Hussy.
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Just interesting in knowing if you can block your rearwheel on tarmac??

My 530 exc seems to NOT brake very hard. I can´t make it block??

Regards
    Mikael
    Denmark

Ps: Nice bike
  9. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    By 'block' you mean lock up and skid with the brake?

You betcha - I had to put some air in the line to keep it from locking up with the slightest application of the pedal.
  10. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
  11. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    So I went riding yesterday. Between the holidays and looking for a job and the weather, I haven't had much chance to ride. At least it wasn't raining yesterday and it was almost 50 degrees.

Anyway, just another musing; I have noticed that the steering damper seems to have broken in a little. Between that and getting used to it, I think it is just about right at the lowest (slow) setting for on the street as it isn't that noticeable yet is just enough to quell the twitchiness that is there without it. Off the road, at about the middle setting or maybe a little more, it works well and keeps me from working so hard when running over obstacles.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I did put a 12 tooth sprocket on the bike and while it cuts down on the top end by quite a bit, I can still keep up with traffic. There is minimal effect off-road though, except I do prefer it as it slows it down just enough to where I can creep along if I wish. The only real downside there is that between the sprocket, the Rekluse and airing down the tires, I have to be careful in first gear when climbing hills to not pop wheelies which the bike will do sometimes if I have to stop and then start while sitting down.
  12. 06Z

06Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about the billet throttle tube with 3 different cams? It sounds like this in conjunction with the map switch will be a great combo.
  13. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Upshift Codemonkey! You have a big torquey engine, autoclutch and geared way down. Take advantage of what you have and let it work for you. Don't worry about the clutch slipping. It can take it for hundreds of hours if the Rekluse is set up well.
  14. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike CM. What stock idle setting and how do you change it? I am looking at the 390 for a future purchase but want a bike that will idle closer to 1K rather than 2K (like my 610). I used to have a KTM 625 and it had a high idle with a tall 1st gear. It has been 25 years (and 70 lbs) since I did any technical off-roading on a 74 Husky CR250MAG. Couple that with the seat height of modern bikes (except the Scorpa LT) it gets interesting when I put the knobbies to good use. I am going to see what it takes to lower my idle a bit (1700 now).
  15. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I have thought about getting one for my Ducati, but I don't feel I need it for my Husaberg. The Throttle is very linear and controllable.
  16. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    IIRC the stock setting is about 1600 or 1700. I set it down closer to 1000 to 1200. Just enough so that when there is a load on it the engine won't die and it doesn't sound like it is laboring. There is a simple knob near the injector housing that makes it easy to change.
  17. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I like it the way it is. The only time I have to worry about popping a wheelie unintentionally is when I am starting out from a stop.
  18. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    BTW - even with the 12 tooth sprocket, the bike is still capable of 90+ MPH indicated. I had to back off or run into the back of a truck so I don't know what the top speed is yet. It seems that at cruising RPMs on the highway, it now puts along at 60 to 65 MPH, whereas before it seemed to be about 5 to 10 MPH faster. It is hard to tell because there is no tach, so I have to gauge it by ear and feel. Just the same, it is nice to know I can push the bike to get out of the way of traffic if I have to - 90 MPH is plenty fast enough for any roads I will be on with that bike.
  19. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was doing some maintenance to the Hussy. I had the plate zip tied to the short bracket from the fender (I took off the long one because it would just get torn off), and when I went into Tasky's last week they recommended the Enduro Engineering license plate holder.

http://www.mxsouth.com/enduroengine...ssories-bike-related-license-plate-holder.htm

[​IMG]

Not rocket science, just a fairly flexible piece of thick plastic with holes drilled in the right spots and some nylock nuts and allen screws. Not my plate is less likely to get bent up (as it usually does when riding off-road) or worse, lost.

Anyway, by the time I had done some other work on the bike and was putting stuff away, I was ready to put the bike away too. While I had it out I thought I would check the lights since it was getting dark. I noticed that the headlight is aimed way too high - especially on brights - as in ten feet up a telephone pole high. And this was without me on the bike (I weigh 250# so I do cause the rear of the bike to sag a bit, and the front is then up a bit).

I guess I'll have to look into fixing this. I almost never ride when it is dark, especially in the winter, so I had not noticed this, but I bet cars do.

I was also going to take the clutch lever/slave cylinder off since I don't use it with the Rekluse anymore, but noticed I would probably have to take the tank off to remove the clutch hydraulic line. I guess that can wait. I hate tearing into bikes in the winter when I don't have a garage.
  20. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I kinda fixed the headlight; I noticed that tab A wasn't put into slot B on the bottom of the light where the adjuster is, so fixing that helped bring it down quite a bit. Low beam is actually on the road now. High beam is still about ten feet or more up in the air. I tried to adjust it with the screw, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe the backing nut is just turning with the screw?

I guess I will have to take it apart and see what the problem is.