Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by davebig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Very cool, enjoy, concentrate, take your time, enjoy!

Props to DB for his assistance. :clap

Some random thoughts on your rig pulling to the right. First, you added air to the rear shock, raising the rear end, that would change the basic alignment. (assuming the setup was done with the shock as you first got it)
    Second, if your staying on secondary roads, 'generally' the more rural they are the higher the crown, exacerbating your pull to the right, and possibly accounting for running out of corrective adjustment with the electric lean.

again, take your time, enjoy and learn! :D
  2. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advice. the rig was pulling to the right before we added air and it still pulls to the right. while on a US highways, with a flat road, it seems that max height is best, but still not neutral. i can tell by the look of my bikes dash (out of level) that is is leaning out to the left.

i am going to start a separate thread, so we don't hijack the thread.

ked
  3. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I was in a coffee shop in Red Wing MN and I'll be damned if I looked out and there was a Freedom sidecar from CSM.
    [​IMG]
    Strange little Italian car it said F355GTS :lol3:lol3
    [​IMG]
    Little old ladies like sidecars better than strange Italian cars.
    Sitting and watching for almost an hr 4 groups of people entered the lot got out of there vehicles and went over to look at the sidecar rig.Claudes right lots of smiles even with Justin sitting with me, they then noticed a Ferrari was sitting next to it.Damn that would tell me if your going to buy a Ferrari be damn sure you get a red one.DB
  4. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a lot of "sweet young things" [of course at my age "young" is relative] tell me that my sidecar rig is a bigger chick magnet than any sports car.:wink:

I've started carrying an extra, cheap, helmet so I can give short test rides when asked. Lots of fun. Doesn't happen so much when my Life Manager is with me. Go figure.:D

Duncan
  5. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't even park the thing in the marked space!

BTW, miss when the old station there was a Hardies... The new owners took out the whole collection of railroad artifacts and trashed the interior. I used to stop there all the time when I drove for Hostess, found a place out back big enough to park a semi.
  6. davebig

Oddometer:
    I noticed that also, you know a little too much about everything GearheadGrrrl ! Cold out on the prarie today ? it was grey windy and cool most of the day here and on the Wisconsin coast.DB
  7. davebig

Oddometer:
    No really whose brake pads do inmates like ? I had some Carbone Loraines brand X that I got from beemerboneyard and they don't seem to cut it, they glaze and become useless after being really heated up, they also seem to stick to the disks. I spray them with brake cleaner blow them out with compressed air and then they are ok untill they get hot again. I put some EBC double h in tonight and they seem much better to start.
    Anyone have a favorite brand and model ? On a single brakes last me forever, I'm reasonably quick but always felt using the brakes allot was a failure to pay attention.This sidecar stuff is completely different, you need goo brakes and be prepared to use them.DB
  8. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using EBC for a couple years now in all my Beemers.Have very good luck with them..I think you will ;like them...
  9. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    try cutting some groves in the pads Dave. Also are your rotors drilled? Actually I don't use a lot of brakes ...uh..usually.
  10. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Added a set of these today they lower my feet an 1" trying to get sore knee under control, more comfortable.
    Also tweaking loosened up shock damping setting for more comfort and preloaded swaybar ( I'm guilty of endless curiosity) on tug side.Went for a ride, I like it, goes left better than right, feels like I have too much spring under sidecar so I took a turnout when I got home(if only I had a camber adjuster :lol3)DB
  11. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    I use the sintered sic? EBCs. They work well on the bike.
    The pads on the tub are stock whatever DMC puts on. I wish I knew what the part number was. I am in need of new ones.
  12. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like EBC organic pads, they work for me and are easier on the rotors than sintered pads
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    The brakes DMC put on my rig are Brembo. I bought a set of pads from DMC, but their mark up was pretty steep, and since then I've found other sources for a spare set. The Brembo part number is 107268642. Google Brembo and that part number and you will find multiple sources at 1/2 half of DMC's price
  14. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Thank you! 1/2 the cost is more in line of what I can afford right now. :freaky

Stroker is right about the sintered pads being hard on rotors. I started using sintered pads because I like to go fast, brake late and pass deep in the turns. Ok, that was on the track with two wheels, (most of the time:norton) but I really like how they stop when I now weight in at 1300# more or less. For me, it's worth the trade off. :thumb
  15. walkingbear

walkingbear airhead_motocave

Oddometer:
    Battery box installed on the rail or against the car between the driver's foot peg ?
    Can you send close up pictures of it

[​IMG]
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    Well fellow travelers the rig has gone by 25k miles since I've been owner, though I screwed up the tug once it's been a painless period, gained some experience and almost a little humility(sliding across 2 lanes of traffic).
    The only issue was a wheel bearing and it had been wet. Thanks Claude you build a hell of a rig, drove it last night and it was one of those magical evenings,no wind, cool and damp and the driver was going pretty well and completely satified with things.DB
  17. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind works Dave..now lets get your leading link undeway and you can stick another 25,000 miles on the thing, lol.
  18. davebig

Oddometer:
    Every year a few of the midwest sport-tour.net group get together for lunch in St Olaf IA where the local tavern fixes a hell of a good pork loin sandwich deep fried or grilled ( I prefer grilled). [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yep one of the sport tour guys arrived on a HD only about 8-10 of us from MN,WI,IL,IA .
    It was also Flood Run in MN,WI from Mpls to Winona the HD men are out in their finest weather permiting, I foolish stopped to look at the brothers and got my rig dog and I trapped and ended up driving 15' getting off moving a HD and proceeding and stopping again took about half an hr to get 2 blocks.
    [​IMG]
    These guys where behind me as I worked my way between the rows of bikes, damn I'm a knothead sometimes.DB
    [​IMG]
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    My karma is either great or not so good and I should be a better inmate. After only one close call with deer in many years I finally killed a nice 8 point buck just at dusk tonight just as it got hard to see one ran in front of me and I managed to get all the brakes going but went right over him.
    Justin and I are fine the bucks dead, looks like 3 of my 4 piaas suffered, light bar on bike, sidecar bumper, front lower fender and the beak seems tweaked and tank has a dent, telelever and ball joint looked fine forks are at least twisted.I'm pissed I suppose I can't take it apart till I talk to the insurance folks.Probably the end of my season 16k miles 98.3 on the bike damn !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Forks may be tweaked will measure and poke at it tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    Deer hair in tire bead oops, Claude you build a tough rig.DB
  20. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Dang DB sorry to hear that. You can probably straighten the bumper. Looks like it did what it should have. Give me a call.
    I hit a deer a few years back it does little for the old fun meter.
    Glad u are okay.