R65 Project

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Nick Makwell, May 11, 2008.

1. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
  2. Nick Makwell

Nick Makwell Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer:
    Looks good John, I have the same wheels, and I think the front end is fitted for two front disks, but only one fitted??

I'll take some pics on the weekend and post up.

Then the dismantling, scratching head and going "oh shit what have i gotten myself into!" will begin.

:bluduh but only for about 20 mins because i have to work this weekend.
  3. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the head's up Pezz, I didn't have a clue that there might have been an issue with the wheels, other than the fundamental lack of "roundness".

The bike is definitely an R65 and does not, to my untrained eye, appear to be a frankenbeemer, so I'm pretty sure it is the original 18" rim.

However I'll check the wheel when I get home this evening :thumb

Nick ... I'm well ahead of you in the "oh shit what have i gotten myself into!" department, but admit it. You love it really ... :evil

Have a good 'un

John
  4. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    You're right John!

I can't get over how small and short the bike is, but ive been riding an R1200G S for two years and am use to moving around a 280kg K1100RS as well!!
  5. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R100 is 19" with 8 spokes.
    R65 18" with 9 spokes. no recalls, you are fine.
  6. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really did question the wisdom of posting a couple of decidedly average pictures of some decidedly average rims, but now I’m pleased I did.

Thanks for all the info guys, I’ve learned something new today :thumb

Nick ... yup, the 65 seems like a Dinky toy compared with the 1150, but I can’t wait to get her back on the road.

Cheers

John
  7. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    Havent had much time this weekend, had to work yesterday and this morning, now im off to a couple of concerts.

so the teardown begins next weekend...

Oh and the Bosch light of the wreck is in good nick, going to paint it up and put on my K1100R...that solved that problem

Just bought a K1100LT 3 spoke rear wheel, search is still on for a monolever swingarm and final drive.

and front end!
  8. ipanemaguy

ipanemaguy Many bikes & little time

Oddometer:
    On the R65 (as in other BMWs) the front and rear wheel DO NOT TRACK IN THE SAME LINE! My suggestion if you are doing a street racer/cafe from the R65 corpse is that you go classic and think of using wire wheels. In fact for that bike a much nicer look might be 4LS front drum brake laced with stainless spokes to excel rims (available anodized in a number of colors. You keep an eye out on eBay for a Grimeca or the more economical Suzuki waterbuffalo front drum).
    Given the offset of the rear wheel, and to give you the additional clearance for a bigger donut in back I would consult with Woody,
    (http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/bmw.shtml)

If you really don't care about $$$, pick up a vintage Yamaha roadracer front drum from a TZ - they are wicked

BTW what are you doing for triple tree and forks??? Ceriani RR or WP43s?. I know of a source for the WP upside down forks with the proper dimensions for a BMW, KTM's look nice but won't play.

Good luck
  9. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, but I'm sticking with polished 3-spoke wheels, just to be different!

It might end up being the wrong choice, but at least I'll give it a go.

I intend to do the twin drum front end on my next project, based around a W650. That one will have alloy tank, seat cowl and fairing, wire wheels, kickstart only (Im a glutton for punishment) clipons, rearsets etc.
  10. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nick ... I've gone for "Plan B" on the speedo / tacho ...

What do you think of this little puppy ...

[​IMG]

Talk to Jeff at S3 Performance Equipment, he's over in VIC.

They also do a couple of cowls if you're interested. They look quality, but $$$

Other news from this side of the the country.

Today, whilst I was trundling across to deliver the snowflakes for blast cleaning a nice man phoned up to tell me the Staintune headers had arrived 10 days after placing the order, instead of the quoted 4-6 weeks.

Have a good 'un

John
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    In 1982 I had an R75/5 and the 4-speed gear box sucked compared to my buddy's /6 gearbox. The 5-speed's closer ratios made road riding much more enjoyable.
  12. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the link John - I like the look of that. Price isn't too bad either....

The powerband (if any) on the R65 might be a bit different for the 4 speed, I dunno - but I wanted the authenticity of the kickstart, im not practical or pragmatic, but I wanted the old school feel.

This bike is first and foremost what most would call a "poser" - I'm building it because I like the look and feel and "image" it will have at the end - practicality be damned!!!

I have a K1100 for practicality and maybe a Honda next year (that CB1000R is calling me) for speed, handling and real sportiness!!!
    :D

All I need now is a KLR to round out the stable!
  13. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Nick, to what extent are you embracing this philosophy?

Like ... are you going to loose the air box and have K n N's to bang your shins against, then stick the battery in the back end somewhere?

For my money (what little there is of it) nothing says cafe on an airhead louder than lots of space between the frame and the motor.

... back to my bike ... the rims should get dropped off for paint tomorrow :clap

In the words of "Hannibal" Smith "I love it when a plan comes together"

Cheers :slurp

John
  14. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    velocity stacks.

K&N's- what were you thinking?!
  15. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking ... :huh ... who me? Never!

We are talking R65 here :D

Velocity stacks are perfect for #83, but I'll stick with K n N's for my mental pictures of our R65's

Have a good 'un :thumb
  16. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    Thoughts on a R65 (for John and others interested!!!)

No airbox
    Sidestand only
    Velocity stacks with brass mesh covers (no tennis balls here!)
    small front fender, no rear fender
    GRP tank (make myself - always wanted to try that!) styled on an R60/69 type, with flat bottom shape, with curving back, but with slight knee and clipon dents (if i can do it, if not then basic shape of the R60 tank, or the ACTUAL tank itself)
    clipons (got - from an SV650 cost me $10)
    small indicators (from an R1200GS believe it or not! $25!!! I like the shape and look of them - amber lens)
    single seat, Corbin style (know a guy who can make this for me, see pic below)
    old style valve covers
    Battery will be smaller gel type (no starter motor remember) and either be where the starter was, or under the seat or tank.
    no sidecovers
    raising the motor by an inch - and lowering the tank by an inch - I'm trying to get a low, lean look. Might wait and see on the raising motor if its screws up the final drive geometry
    short 2-2 exhausts with "cough" minimal baffling - think R1200C style, but without the weight!!!
    final drive, swingarm and cylinder fins painted black (ala R90S) with slightly polished crankcase, front cover, valve cover, starter motor cover (if i can get it or make it, the sloping back custom cover)
    tank and front fender and front forks painted black
    mag wheels polished

oh and fork gaiters!

Nuts? YES! That's what you get when you can't ride for six months - I have 3 weeks left on my suspended license....so I've had a lot of time to think about this project.

Haven't come up with a name yet, (we name all our vehicles - my K1100R nee RS, is called Ruby, my R1200GS is called Heinrich, our little Nissan is called Olive)

I was thinking Francine (its a girl I've decided) because she will end up a Frankenbeemer....probably not though!!!!
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Ever considered using a /5 for your project? :evil

From what I remember, the 4-speed wasn't a problem on the open road, just in town where second felt too buzzy and third lugged the motor.
  18. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    Yeah I did consider the slash 5!!!

Had my eye on a couple, but also considered the R65 because of the smallness and the fact my Dad rode one around Australia over 20 years ago!!!

He bought one new in the mines in Western Australia then rode it back to Brisbane, Queensland.

His best experience (he passed away two years ago) was riding through WA when the springflowers came out and down the long open roads along the coast.

As for the gearbox - yeah, I knew that going in, the bike won't be used in town (except going to the cafe.....heheh) just up and down my local mountains where the local PLOD/cops etc like to get people for doing 65 in a 60....

so i figured i need a slow, fun bike!!!
  19. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    Something like this John??? Enough space for ya!!! (notice he had NO starter motor, but kickstart...) and its an R45 too!

btw, Ive taken photos of the bike, but I left my datacable at work!!! (telecommuting today)
  20. Nick Makwell

Oddometer:
    from another thread, but it shows the 'filter' and the back of the customised starter motor cover.

might be able to duplicate that with a fiberglass pattern (my metalworking skills are crap!), don't know about heat though?