1. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    motorcycles are charged as motorcycles. no clue what they are trying to say with the bicycle charges. as with any bicycle , car or motorcycle rate in manhattan. it varies according to what part of town you are in. down by me they want the same price for a motorcycle as they do a car. a lot of them won't take motorcycles. some you can park a bicycle for $10 for the day others might charge you $40. best thing to do is call the number listed for the place you want and ask them.
  2. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in learning to weld.

I've got to 3rd ward to check out their classes and space, and while its nice, membership is 500/month without instruction. Bit steep.

I've sent email inquiries to the Education Alliance (they offered a course in 2011 according to their website) and Apex Technical College, though I suspect Apex is more of a full-time college course.

Any recommendations, my friends? I just want to learn from a crafting and hobby standpoint, not looking to make a career of it.

Thanks in advance
    George
  3. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    Just arm yourself with a welder and some patience. Stick is hard and takes practice but it's cheap to get into and it's fun and will work for all steel. You can get a used buzzbox for a hundred bucks on CL, or even less. Mine was $80.

The most important thing is to get an auto-darkening welding helmet, apron, and welding gloves. Then, collect any metal scrap you can find and weld away!
  4. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
  5. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i looked at 3rd ward as well, i think you can take the welding class without being a member. the price is 50/100 more. tell me if your planning on doing it there, maybe if two sign up together we get a discount :deal

maybe a adv welding class
  6. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Hey TC:

Re 3rd ward, yes, you can take the class as a nonmember but then you only get the class hours (9 i believe) to actually practice. Still seems totally overpriced to me.

Education Alliance confirmed they no longer offer welding, but referred me to The Art Students League http://theartstudentsleague.org/Classes/ClassSchedules/Sculpture.aspx
    They have welding classes as part of their scuplture programs, but they're full with a waiting list until may. They said they do offer summer classes, but don't have a schedule yet. Their prices look much more reasonable, and they do offer an all day saturday welding session. At 180/month that's a bargain compared to 3rd ward.

I also came across this guy:
    http://www.michaeldanielmetal.com/classes.html
    but other than read the website, haven't looked into it further.

I'll be starting here and figuring out which class to try soon:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210053&highlight=welding

7. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    44th, 9/10
    it's the only legal street parking in the area. residential parking with alternate side street cleaning. it's a bit of a walk but whatcha gonna do?

i used to park at 36th and Dyer (median strip just outside the Lincoln Tunnel) until i got a parking ticket claiming that i was on a sidewalk.
  8. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    Might have to check this out. You use a lock or anything?
  9. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
    hey I park on 44 too. I have a black duc monster and a spraypainted black multi with red frame.
  10. flyinscotsman

flyinscotsman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Daily 800gs -

STAY LUCKY

-----------------------------

How many NYC commuters here? I ride in 3-4 times a week from LIC on an XT225, a KLR650 before that. (I upgraded) I don’t see too many other dual sports so I was wondering who else is out there mixing it up with the evil yellow and black cars everyday.

Karl[/QUOTE]
  11. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
  12. Ren20

Ren20 Finding Touge

Oddometer:
    I am interested Ron, This is a regular sized bag?
  13. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Yes, check the link... Big Agnes has all the specs on their page. This model is "Regular".
  14. alskee750

alskee750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested if he doesn't want it, I PM'd you.
  15. rider257

rider257 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Dirt bikes are loved by many riders in Queens but not loved by police. Riding in the streets can be unsafe for both riders and pedestrians. Railroad Park may be the solution. Members of the Parks Committee are discussing turning the 16 acres of unruly terrain into a dirt bike park." - Motorcycle Safety School

http://timesledger.com/stories/2012/43/dirtbikepark_jt_2012_10_25_q.html

Saw this thought I would share kind of cool
  16. Detale

Detale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was just coming here to post the same link. Looks like it could be fun as long as some idiots don't F it up.
  17. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I was looking at a google map for a "forest"... are they talking about the triangle between Garrett St, 129th ave, and Bedell? That looks way too small for any sorta park to ride.
    I don't know Queens very well, so if I'm way off base, that's why.
  18. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Northwest Randall's Island is a better place for a dirtbike park.

They should make it electric-only and watch sales take off.
  19. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like it to me. there's a big project complex across the street, lots of stolen dirt bikes in that area. better to let them do whatever in a small park then whatever on public streets.
  20. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He can only be talking about this--it seems to be in Queens Community Board 13 too.