2011's and the G2 Tamer?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ladukebob, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Did a little searching but didn't come up with much current info on these G2's on the newer 990's. How many of you out there with 2011's have installed the G2 Tamer and what are your overall impressions? I thought by now I would have gotten used to the quick nature of the initial throttle response but just have not. Really bad when standing and trying to maneuver through awkward sections. The one thing that has helped is my bike has a Kacko installed on it by the previous owner and if I apply just a little tension it helps get rid of the quickness. But it's not the idea solution.

Bike has the Akro's and the Akro mapping from the dealer.
  2. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I took my '11 off-road for the first time on Sunday, and the throttle was so bad it was almost unridable on the slower semi-technical sections. I was shocked. Anyhow, I've got a G2 ordered, but haven't recieved it yet. I'm guessing it doesn't solve the problem, but it's a part of a bigger solution.
  3. billbob412

billbob412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 990r Ihad the same feeling going slow on rough terrain. Got my G2 today installed it and went for a test ride. Big improvment . Buy one you will love it.
  4. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 non-R and was also concerned by the overly quick/responsive throttle action especially in the dirt. It is partly practice to learn to ride smoothly, and I am still getting used to the bike . . . but I also made the decision to get a G2 throttle cam and a Kaoko. I have both at home but haven't fitted either yet! hopefully fit next weekend.
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Do you know what cam you used? Mine showed up today but they sent a regular G2 with the K100 cam - from what I've ready, I probably want the 400 cam.
  6. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have switched back and fourth 300 and 400 on my 2009 r map standard....
    the 300 bike, still snatchy on the dirt and somewhat on the street. the 400 made bike feel lazy...
    just did a gear change 16f and if I recall 45 rear. seems like a nice middle ground now from the 2 hour ride I took.
  7. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    That woudl be my ideal 300 and 16/45.
  8. billbob412

billbob412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered it from sam at the g2 site it came with a 400 cam. I think if you order for 990 thats whats you get
  9. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Cool, just ordered one up, and I'll throw this one on my dirt bike; the stock tube's feeling a bit gritty. :evil
  10. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran a few thousand off road miles on my 2011R with no tamer and it was fine, but I wanted a little less abrupt first 1/4 twist for technical riding and thought I would try the tamer. I have the 300 on now and it makes a difference, I have probably another couple thousand miles off road on it since I installed it but alot of that was desert riding where it was not needed. I think over all it is a cheap investment that does help. Nothing is better then just plain old practice. I do run a 15/42 set up so that may have some influence, I believe the 16/42 guys will notice even more control from a G2. One thing I can say is that it is a quality piece of work :thumb