Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First and foremost, it was great meeting everyone today. As for the riding, well I was glad to see that everyone else though it was as slick as I did. It's been a while since I started venturing out off road again and I was beginning to think I had lost all of my off road skills from my youth. I only managed to ride about 6 1/2 miles today, but anytime I can get the KLR dirty is a fun time. It probably took me a half hour with my pressure washer to get most of the mud off which is par for the course from what I have been reading from others. I should have some video footage from the ride, but t will probably be a few days before I have time to edit and post it. In the mean time I have a feeling that you might get to see me going down in the creek from Buildit's video part deux.
  2. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool video!

Isn't it hard on the bike to lug the engine that low? If it was a 2t it would have fouled a plug. :lol3

Lets see some powwa! :lol3
  3. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Most indubitably
  4. mgorman

Oddometer:

Unfortunately yes
  5. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    If you fuckers keep posting videos like that, a woods bike is going to find its way to the top of my bikes to be bought this spring list. :lol3
    Looks fun, and since I'm starting my midlife crisis mode, I think it's time I finally get a bike dirty.
  6. mgorman

Oddometer:
    If you have to have one bike, it has to be a Dual Sport, if not, you miss out on all the great riding you can't do on the average pavement pounder
  7. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Good to see you getting out of the basement a little 'poser.
  8. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    +1...

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

9. FatherX

FatherX Supervising the Heros

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

Nope. I disagree. :lol3

I've tried this a bunch of times over the years and always failed. When I decided years ago to take my riding down to one bike, I gave this a go. But, as a n00b off pavement rider, I have yet to find a dual sport that is worth a shit on the road that doesn't scare me to death to take off road at any more than fire road level. I ended up giving up in my search and haven't ridden at all in damn near five years now. :cry

Now, here in the last week (and I'm guessing that 40th birthday thing last week might have something to do with it..) I came up with a new out look on it. Instead of trying to find one do it all bike and spend many thousands of dollars on it, I should just try to find 2(or 3, or 4) different bikes that do what they are supposed to do well, but on a budget for each! :clap
    So, I'm looking around to see what I can sell to come up with some money to get started down my new path of enlightenment. First bike must be something I can take the kids for rides on, good for short rides, but capable of some weekend trips to get back to some adv events this year. This could end up being anything from a KLR to a full dress harley, but it's not something I'm going to be willing to go chase you nuts around on your dual sport rides on. At least until I get some experience off road.
    The second bike is looking to be a dedicated woods bike. A street legal 250 would probably be light enough and docile enough that I would be willing to tag along on some group rides figuring that if someone is there on an S10 or big GS, I should be able to go where ever they can. It means trailering it to wherever the fun is going to be, but I'll take the ridicule for that.
    Now, after a few years, maybe I'll build up the skills to be able to go with one bike that I'd be willing to ride from home to Goonies, then spend a weekend exploring the goat trails with you fuckers and then ride it back home, but for now, I don't see one bike being the right answer.
    And I don't care if it's the right way to go in the real world, my wife bought of on it....:deal
  11. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    You have to wait for part 2, but I'll tell you now the snot got worse later in the day. On the plus side the 5mph on a klr is like 30mph on a lighter bike. :D

and here's part 2 at 2 am. :rolleyes

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYDPF74NBoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. FatherX

Oddometer:

Lots of people build a stable before their skills. It's COOL. Don't miss Michael G's
    point. We've seen, recently that having 4 different bikes doesn't get someone through the gauntlet. Seat time and trial / error is what builds experience, and thus proficiency and confidence on or off the road.

" If you have to have one bike..." Evidently , a lot of people don't have to.

BTW , 13,XXX post....you should have Baldy change your name to ImaPoster :lol3
  13. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's some video from the other KLR:

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sy6KAvY_ucc?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  14. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    Poser, start with a WR250R.

It'll do everything you described and more.
  15. FatherX

Oddometer:
  16. mgorman

Oddometer:

If he hasn't, Meef had a WR, sold it, bought the KLX, sold it and went back to the WR feeling it was a much better bike. I've yet to ride a modern 250 DS on the road to know what they're like on top end, the last one I did was a '95 XR250 and it maxed out at 70 indicated (probably closer to 50-65).
  17. FatherX

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, as usual, Michael.. Now I'm throwing those two into the blender with a DRZ400 to see which one makes a better DS smoothie

Like it matters in FX land anyway :lol3
  18. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    You look about 14 or so. :D
  19. mgorman

Oddometer:

Sorry, my fault, I assumed with your post count you you already rode dirt. That and I misread your post thinking it said you were going to get your bike dirty, not get a bike dirty. That's what haappens when you spend 5+ hours pedaling to exhaustion

I still stand my ground though, if I had to have only one bike, it'd be my 640Adv, if I lived out west, the 950. I just read about the new 500EXC and after seeing the write up, my 250 and 640 just might be in jepordy!
  20. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I love the motor on the DRZ400, less impressed with the seat, to me, it feels like it slopes away from the tank. Not sure if the road version uses the same saddleBorrowed and raced one twice and had a total blast.