Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I start getting tunnel vision and vertigo above 30 feet.Flying an airplane doesn't bother me.I think it's the false sense of security provided by being inside the fuselage.
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree.:D
  3. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    When living in Costa Rica I could buy a sim card for my cell phone to get local service and rates. Are sim cards available in Mexico now and where can they be bought?

Thanks;

TravelGuy
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    This photo is probably within 10 miles of where air traffic control lost track of her plane. As you can see the mountains rise dramatically.

[​IMG]
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Now, now. Those stories about the stewardess luring me into the plane with a martini are not totally true. :lol3

I did, however, get on an airliner once to find that not only had my date upgraded us to First Class, but there were two (2) drinks waiting at my seat when I got there. Yes, I am slightly afraid of flying. :evil
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like MX 85 close to the road to Rayones. Big Sierra.
  7. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Bingo. :clap

It's somewhere north of Linares; air traffic control lost track of the plane due west of Linares somewhere over the mountains.

I think Linares is the town where I couldn't find a room and wound up riding into the night and stayed at a no-tell slightly to the north of town:

[​IMG]
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like motorcycle crashes, airplane crashes are usually a combination of factors.

I think I read they took off something like 3:30 am.

"Nothing good happens on a motorcycle after midnight", is an old saying. Well, at least it is with me.

If they took off at that hour, nothing would surprise me about the condition of the pilot.
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the SIM card question, try a Tel- Cel customer service centre, they are in most bigger towns throughout Mexico.
    They should be able to set you up and they have the best coverage but not always the best rates.
  11. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Just drop into a Telcel dealer, wave your arms about and keep saying "amigo" (their pay-as-you-go scheme) They have special deals in data but you need to text a code to them to activate it. The code depends on how much data you plan to use but I put in 500mxn a month, text BAT30 and get 3 gigs.
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you yell "amiga" you might get a shot at a happy ending!
    Or at least want one. Even if you are a 78 year old pilot.
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    I was thinking along those lines too. If the clerk's eyes light up and he puts his arm around you and suggests that you and he need to go out for drinks, then beware. :lol3
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    I'll attest to that. Being an acrophobic pilot, that is. Also means that no rider in the group is getting as much thrill-factor in the mountains than I am. Fear is one of the greatest sources of energy known to man. You just gotta learn to manage it.
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fear?
    Fear?
    There is no "fear". There is only a failure to accept that, like the Buddhist monks say, "Shit happens, so deal with it"!:eek1
    In fact, a locale here has commissioned and placed a statue to the "The valiant, the brave, the ADV Rider".

Negotiations for the action figure, cartoon, illustrated novel, and guest appearance on Mexican Sunday morning television are now feverishly underway.

This statue marks the start point of one of the more fun mountain routes in Mexico.

[​IMG]

El Hombre ADV!
    Inspiring people to wear one piece, belted, riding suits everywhere! :deal
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hot on the heels of El Hombre ADV, we have something that should resurrect an interesting moment from this forum.

We now have...

[​IMG]
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The other being cleavage
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think one of the reasons people like to ride Mexico is when you push things a little. For example, if you are going to cover over 500kms and be back by 1pm, you've got to get up a little early and do a little riding in the dark. Just a taste before the sun comes up. When you're alone, this can really put you in the right frame of mind. That little edge that you'll use all day. It can help you deal with things like cows playing soccer.
    It an udder shame I couldn't stay to watch.

[​IMG]

The new Xalapa bypass has some nice views, beats the heck out of looking at the back end of a Sabritas truck, potholes, shopping malls, and more potholes.

Di trece! Trece? Si, trece, porque tu rabo se crece! Old joke.

[​IMG]

Later, to get to the real magic, after having ridden through a 16th century city or two, you are on the trail of the Calavera.

[​IMG]

Some more teasing for Schizz and the Tejas gueros!

[​IMG]

How good is it? Well, I went back again this weekend and I'll be heading back next weekend, too.
    You finish up way past the last ridge in the photo. Yeehaw!
    Like most riding in Mexico, it gets real addictive, real quick. :deal
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Now that's funny. :lol3

Greatest sources of energy. Alas, also one of the greatest sources of expense known to man. :cry
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I know what you mean. And you know better than anyone here about my recent bout of vertigo.

I was looking at those photos of the new bridge and roadway across the Devil's Backbone and looking at my maps this morning. Christ, that scares the piss out of me, but I want to get back to Mazatlan some day and just hate the thought of riding via Nogales when I could do the same trip in a quick two days by going through Durango. I also, frankly, hate the thought of changing my routing because of something silly like dizziness. :cry