Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. ScottG

ScottG Razor Sharp

Oddometer:
  2. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:
    That looks more like a vstrom tour, but I may want a little more agro riding. I'll be riding next weekend, but I'm yet undecided. That looks fun though.
  3. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding in that area last weekend with the GNATSASS group. Camped at Spring Valley State Park. My wife and some of the group rode to JJ's on Saturday. Wished I could have made it, but we spent much of the day riding a lot of second gear stuff and not doing many miles. That weekend is already booked for me, but if anything changes, I'll use this as my second plan.
  4. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Hey Ricky......time to start bleeding orange......and you don't even have to go to the Steamboat Rally..........:wink:

5. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info...I like the 1190R and want to see it in person. Riding it would be better, but I'm still a few months out on that...:deal

6. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    No problemo.......you do know they're coming at my specific request......to take Ricky's down payment and photograph his smiling face on the new 1190.....:jack
  7. WY wanderer

WY wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

Meeting with the Progressive claims adjuster next week. Never made a claim before but am nervous about the outcome based on how many time he threw the word totaled out. If the parts and scratched and don't need to be replaced do I claim it?

Any advice is welcome.
  8. warp9man

warp9man Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer:
    I just went thru this very problem. Get a quote for a new replacement part then get a quote for repaint from a shop. If you want to keep it from getting totaled offer the painted price instead of replacment. My adjuster (farm bearu ) also threw in a little for labor for me to remove and reinstall the painted parts
  9. WY wanderer

WY wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good to know Warp.

I've read a term "appearance allowance" that would allow them to pay a percentage of the replacement part price. Anyone know more about this?

Thanks

10. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, Todd-Squad's son works there and Todd has a deposit on an 1190. Seems to
    be a bit of a delivery issue. He got to test one in Perth while on business and is in love.

I'm too old to be able to use all that HP.:D Plus, I still enjoy riding more than wrenching.:wink:
  11. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    :clap
  12. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea:clap Sunsabitches, hope he had to be carried away. Got my race bike stolt from behind the shop one day. Cops were slow, but that gave me time to steal it back before they got there when we learned where it was. Multiple bikes in 2 locations so I sneaked off with mine leaving the others for evidence with my buddies holding the thieves.
  13. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
  14. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    I have December 6-January 1 off, then April 4-May 1 off if anyone wants to do a 7-10 day ride during those time frames.

I'm out in the Puget Sound until December 6th, and hoping to ride somewhere sunny and warm before the holidays.

Edit: mapped an 800 mile loop from St. George through Death Valley and back. Hoping to rode it mid-December.....brrrr......
  15. buzzardair

buzzardair terraqueous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Baja 990 Special edition

[​IMG]

1190 Adventure

[​IMG]

The 1190 R
    [​IMG]

KTM bought dinner and drinks Saturday Night on the top of the mountain.

[​IMG]
  16. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, now who has a RR on the 1190R :ear

17. Trailtwister

Trailtwister To the peak!

Oddometer:
    Hey hows the weather in Colorado?

Writing from Stanley here. Idaho's dualsport roads are groomed for no dust. For 4 days the rain was ahead, behind, left and right. But sunny overhead.
  18. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials at Grannies Red Rock Ranch this weekend. Fun place to ride.
  19. FeatherKing

FeatherKing n00b

Oddometer:
    Im pretty sure thats harcus on the right?
  20. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    I was able to ride the new 1190R and the 1190 this weekend at Steamboat, and all I can say is WOW! KTM has really knocked the engine and handling out of the park with this bike. We rode 20 miles on the street, no offroad, so I can't comment of the offroad ability of the 1190R. I will say, there were some pro riders who were out hammering on them, no it's pretty obvious that it will go anywhere you're willing to point it. Of course, those guys are incredibly good...and they still managed to break a mirror! Lol...they weren't taking it easy on them.

First, the fit and finish of the bikes is top notch. It looks much better in person than in pictures - and the R in particular is a much larger bike in person than the pictures had led me to believe it would be.

That said, comfort....I find the R to be a bit cramped both in the seating area, and the reach to the pegs. Keep in mind though, I am a big guy (what with the diesel love engine in the mid section) so I am definitely outside the "target demographic" in that regard. The pegs are up high so my legs were bunched up a bit. For standing they are in a good location, but then the bars are low - I would be looking at significant bar risers (1.5"?) to put them in a better position.

The "standard" version is more comfortable in both regards for me. The bars however, are even lower, and the windscreen/fairing more compact. Wind protection is really good in the legs and torso areas on both bikes, with the R having a bit more protection but a turbulent air flow. I would probably put a smaller screen on the R - while conversely, I would probably put a larger screen on the standard.

Bars are nice and wide and the cockpit is "in" in the bike more on the R than the standard. The standard to me, felt like a sportbike with a sit up seating position compared to the taller feeling R.

Also, the heat issue we've heard some people discuss is a real concern for me. It was only about 75 degrees on the day I rode the R, and the heat when not moving from the rear cylinder is very noticeable. I was wearing mesh riding pants. On the day I rode the standard, it was 54 degrees and light rain, so the heat was actually welcome, but again very tickle when not moving / traffic. This could be a real issue for us in the southwest - I think on a hot summer day in traffic, it would just boil your beans.

Engine is FANTASTIC. This is one of the best engines I've ever ridden. The fueling is PERFECT, and there is ZERO driveline snatch in traffic on/off throttling. Also, the electronics are seamless - when engaged you can't get it to lift the front wheel, but it doesn't do weird things like stutter and cut the throttle- it just doesn't give anymore power to lift the wheel. Very, very nice electronics. That said' this thing is a MONSTER - I went from 20mph to well over "reasonable" in less than 200 yards.....and it was pulling strong..... I had to back off cause one of the ride leaders saw me do it in his mirror and stopped to yell at me....lol.

Brakes are awesome.
    Suspension is awesome.
    Handling is awesome.

Overall, the biggest thing is you really need to ask yourself - are you going to offroad it or no? If you're going to sport tour, the standard bike is the way to go without a doubt. It's actually amazing how distinct the two bikes feel.

I think KTM needs to fix the heat issue for some folks, but overall this bike is going to be a runaway success.

YMMV :freaky