ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks

Has anyone used the HDB instrument protector for the OE instrument on their EXC? I'm currently installing the HDB handguards, top clamp, LEDs, and protector. The instrument protector wont mount to the top clamp because the swivel bolts are in the way. The XCW probably doesn't have this issue because there are only 2 idiot lights but the EXC has 4 lights and they are mounted lower on the protector so they interfere with the swivels.

So if someone has already gone down this road and figured it out, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Garrett
  2. juvander

juvander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had same issue, I just moved the handguard bolts to other holes (can't remember which way it originally was...). After this it is ok.
  3. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    I love the snow hawks, want to ride one one day.

watching the youtube videos makes me mad I live in florida
  4. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    I would like to eliminate the key switch on my bike and don't want to install the push/pull switch from Sicass, and their $5 plug leaves the running lights on all the time. Not sure about the KTM plug. Is there any easy way around this?
  5. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it will work with the handguards mounted in the lower hole but still can't mount the protector in the lower holes. I need to do this so I can mount the ipod switch key on the top clamp. Hmmm may have to shim the protector with washers but tat looks amateurish and the HDB stuff is very slick.
    Garrett
  6. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I studded a set of Trackmasters last year with 20mm rally studs and I was pretty pleased with the results.I'm going to build a set with road legal car studs for days when the bare ground is frozen, the bare ground beats the long studs. I was lucky to snag a stud gun a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  7. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue. Used the spacers from the stock housing to mount it from the underside of the top clamp and ran the bolts from bottom to top. Worked out great and looks good. If you need a pic I can send you one on Sunday.
  8. Hueychief

Hueychief FNG

Oddometer:
    I went down this road and eliminated the high beam and blinker indicator as that's incorporated into the Sicass handlebar switch assembly already.
    [​IMG]
  9. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stif

I'm not sure what spacers you're referring to, but yeah send a pic. I did get it mounted but mounted the protector on top of the clamp and shimmed the protector opposite the Ipod key switch with some washers. It doesn't look too bad.
    Garrett
  10. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking with everything anodized black. You've got lots of room on the left side of the handlebar as well. The clutch hose is quite a distance from the handguard. Mine is ok but touching.

Garrett
  11. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering for the guys who has preformed valved adjustments on there new 500s. what shim kit do you recomend? i am planning on keeping this bike for while and figure i would like to have a kit on hand for the future to isolate all the trips back and forth the the motorcycle shop.
  12. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Hot cams or prox kits will be fine I just the hot cam kit service to 690's
  13. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up getting a set built for me by a fellow here in Canada. He uses Bridgestone ed11 for the front and 404 in the back. He uses gripstuds. So now I wait for the tires to get delivered and stock up on bandaids for the ripped and torn knuckles when I go to mount them. :D

Looking forward to winter riding though so a little blood is a small price to pay.

Garrett
  14. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    I posted some notes on this in post #2630
  15. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    Thank you, don't know how I missed that one. I will remove that plug and add the ignition elimination plug. Is there anything harmful about the fuel pump not priming before the engine starts to crank over?
  16. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the hard parts key elimination plug. The lights turn off automatically shortly after the engine shuts down.
  17. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Winter trail riding is great! I've got a winter enduro and Hare scramble coming up and we also have a winter Jday series soon, which is half MX and half scramble with some endurocross for fun. We also ice race:lol3 I end up riding more in the winter than I do in the summer:clap

good luck with your tires!
  18. juvander

juvander Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    With that plug removed and a jumper on the ign. plug, the bike is more or less the way the XC/W is wired from the factory.
  20. AussieClay

AussieClay Adventurer

Oddometer:

Had mine fail the other day (04W11).... KTM advised it wasn't included under the recall...