How'd you find this joint, anyway?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by SkiFastBadly, Dec 24, 2012.

1. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I found a coupon for it in a pound of bacon that I bought.:D
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had read Jupitor's Travels and went online to search for something in the book. I was dreaming of maybe riding around the world. This site popped up in my search. After snooping around here, I bumped into something called the Alcan5000 just finished the previous month (September 2004). I entered the 2006 version of the event in December 2004 and bought a KTM 950 January 2005 to run it. I entered again in 2010 and am signed up to compete in 2014 with my 690. This site opened a whole new world for me. My poor old Ducati hasn't been ridden in 7 years...
  3. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I bought a motorcycle and it had an advrider decal on the windshield. So I Googled it, lurked for a while, then joined the asylum.
  4. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
  5. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Don't even remember. Probably an internet search of some kind looking for info on NInja 250s when I was looking to buy one.
  6. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:

I think that may have been how I found it. If it wasn't that, then I have no idea.

Damn near 10 years. FYYFFs.
  7. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Support (the Google brought me here)
    The support here for self-servicing your bike is second to none.
    Have a question- post it and get info in minutes most of the time.

Chums.
    I don't know of anything else I belong to or give a shit about (other than ADV) where as I can be 500 miles from home, and you walk up to another dude dressed like Mad Max and you ask him what he's doing there and he says "following Canonshot's tracks" (three words) and you smile and know EXACTLY what he's talking about and you instantly have something in common. You lend him a wrench and some loctite, and he's got your back next time.

And I have a pesky KLR.
    Doesn't hurt to learn new haywire knots and such for precision repairs ya know. :evil

[​IMG]
  8. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Very funny, I think I got here from MRN as well. Someone had posted a link to a Ride Report. I read it and have been hooked ever since.:clap

Mike
  9. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    Long time member of the F650.com listserve for my F650GS and we would often see reference to ADVrider. When I moved up to the 12GS, it was a natural community with which to ally.

Lee
  10. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    probably over 75% of the first folks were from MRN. They either got sent to Band Camp or just got tired of the micro managing. I can tell you one thing for sure, this place isn't ANYTHING like the first couple of years it was in existance! I'm not sure if that is for the better or not :dunno

I can remember the first year we were wondering when the 2,000th member would join. I think that happened around the 9th or 10th month.

I got here by accident :evil

Gerg
  11. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    Found out about ADV on another forum... Can't remember which one, but there was a Harley bashing session going on and someone posted a link to RTWDoug's Magadan ride report as a way to make a point.

Was just a little while before my n00b self bought my first motorcycle. I read Doug's ride report then started to browse the site to see what helpful/interesting stuff there was to read about motorcycling in general... Well, this site has it in spades.
  12. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I found out about ADV while googling information on a Wee strom. Then I ran into THIS???? and stuck around to see what would happen next. I should have ran instead,

[​IMG]

Doc Lewall, one of the best ambassadors for dual sport riding you will ever meet.
  13. IgoFar

IgoFar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, I've never been really big into the computer thing, I rarely ever ever got on it, and when i did, I didn't know what I was doing. Then I met Bloochdog. We worked at the same place, I was riding an RT at the time, and he had just gotten a GS, so naturally, we kind of hit it off. So, Bloochdog introduced me to the sight. At first, I just lurked around, for the simple reason, I didn't know how to post. So ,blooch helped me get set up, and here I am. My computer skills have improved some, but not much.
  14. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was on one of the KLR forums, and got real tired of just reading about fricken' doohickeys and not riding. I posted so in (probably not so) nice words, and someone suggested this place. I've owned a bunch of different bikes over the years, from harleys to scooters to dirt bikes and really liked how the different types of bikes mingle around here, so stayed.
  15. Wavedog

Wavedog Continuously amazed.

Oddometer:
    I found this site in early 2005 when I was flying alot around the country. I worked as an airtanker pilot working the wildfires thruout the west and lived in a different hotel in a different town almost every night for seven months of the year, every year. Found it by accident. In early 06 I crashed my VFR and was on serious recouperation and out of work so I lurked everyday for months. Finaly signed up a year or so ago - I think. ADV has been for me a source of inspiration to get out and just ride. The people on this site are also inspiring with their willingness to share whatever is needed be it hands on help or knowledge sharing thru a posting. Three and a half years ago when I was ill and the Docs gave me two years to live this site rekindled some old riding dreams I had so I said I aint checking out yet, too much to do. I dont have enough strength to do any off road riding but I can ride the street and I do as much as I can. Mostly day rides, nothing epic, but at least I am riding. So I thank the people who started this site and I appreciate all you demented yet stellar peeps who inspire me to keep going just by being you and doing what you do. ADV therapy cures what ails ya. ( Doesnt cure bad spelling or grammar)
  16. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend turned me onto it when I was looking for info. for a TX to AK and back ride 5 years ago. Favorite site on my computer.
  17. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    :nod I had a 99RT and had just bought an 01GS. Fish got booted off MRN and we all came over here. Didn't join for several months because I was online at work. It's been one hell of a ride :1drink
  18. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joined in 2008 after a buddy from Ninja250.org kept talking about the local TOR game. Got me hooked and about the same time sold my ninjette and bought a DL650 so this place had more info. I still blame many bad things on TOR.
  19. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:

It would have been natural for me to have come here from Pirate [​IMG] but I didn't. I kinda know (met, really) UglyPrimate and thought I'd check out the forums.
  20. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Been awhile. After living ten minutes from The Canyons, the idea of driving an hour and a half to ski seems ridiculous. I know, I'm spoiled. On the other hand, I'm riding year round now. So it worked out. And a Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Utards.