the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Thanks planeman! If the base line is an uncorked bike I wonder what the bone stock, off the show room floor numbers are in comparison?
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    just a quick question about those torque/hp graphs.

Were the exhaust, airbox and carbs (not jetting) the same for each level of modification?

What pipes and carb were used?

The torque # on the 780 kit is making me drool.:tb :ear
  3. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here.. :tb that's why I'll be ordering one in the next month or so! :clap
  4. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Bone stock peaked around 32-33 hp.
    Individual DRs vary quite a bit. There is one local 'uncorked' bike that posted just over 39. (cut airbox, Q4, jet kit).
  5. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Buh.... so this shop said I need new keys, new battery, they want 1200 to get it running again from the fried wiring harness. They couldn't tell me why it went up in smoke.
  6. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up this bike about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I'm a photographer and use it to
    go into the Everglades here in Florida. I have the Pelican case on the back for my camera equipment and it has
    worked out great.

I took out the snorkel, did the needle shim and the mixture screw...could not believe how much better it ran after these
    simple mods.

Here's a pic from one of my rides into the Everglades

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of the pics I got of the Endangered Florida Panther during my Everglades ride..
    [​IMG]
  7. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Great pics.
  8. TinkerinWstuff

TinkerinWstuff Take it apart

Oddometer:
  9. MADurstewitz

MADurstewitz MADMark

Oddometer:
    The 780 kit is BIG fun.
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I bet it is,I was wondering how long a DR650 runs with 20 more HP then stock? Has anybody ran one very long?
  11. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    The DR650 motor is pretty under stressed, no? ... my guess is the bottom end can handle it OK. The Oil cooler being a big plus for handling the extra heat from 20 more HP.

My concern would be the trans ... and 3rd gear specifically.

Probably be fine if not abused.
    Too few examples out there to get much feed back.
  12. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    Are you using the stock tank? My IMS goes down pretty far. I can barely see my Carb without taking the other stuff off.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    That was my first concern. With all that torque, you could always go from 2nd right to 4th.:D

As to abuse, "probably fine if not abused" why bother then. abuse it stock for the same effect as a babied 780.:lol3
  14. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeouch!
    I would buy a used harness (eBay, etc?) and change it yourself.
    No need to get new keys that I can think of since the ignition wires plug into the harness.
    Even if the wires connected to the ignition burned you should have enough to splice in new.
    I know very little about wiring but replacing the complete harness with a new (used) harness is easy if you just do as suggested to unclip and reclip one at a time.
    I am never happy with any work a shop does so I end up doing my own work though.

Just my 2c
  15. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Getting close to 2-1/2 years now. No problems whatsoever. The thing is, 98% of the time you aren't using any of the additional 20 HP. It sure is handy when I want to pass a truck uphill.
  16. opium89

opium89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts finally arrived so....Pine-Sol dip, new main jet, new pilot jet, and new KTM needle and the hesitation off idle is now completely gone. Only issue I am having now is some pretty obnoxious decel popping at > 1/4 throttle. What I mean by that is the decel pop is minimal to nada if I don't get on the throttle much. It's only on decel when really opening it up that the popping starts to get bad.

In an effort to remedy, I tried adjusting the fuel screw, seem to improve a bit the wider it's open, but still present no matter what. However, it does go away if I throw the choke wide open...

I set the KTM needle on slot 3, right in the middle, as this puts the spacer at the exact same location as the stock needle. I gotta say, these needles look nearly identical to me. Is anyone with me in suggesting that I try raising the needle up a slot and see what happens?

Almost there.....:D
  17. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    I am gonna try it myself. I was trying to sell it and I was hoping the dealer could get it fixed quickly but 1300 is just too much.
  18. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Buy a kit, I'll help with the install, then ride it like normal so I can have a baseline for when I do the DR in my garage. :deal :lol3
  19. crazy88

crazy88 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, I get that this is apparently really necessary. I'm a complete noob, but I managed to successfully change my stock tank to an IMS, or so I thought... Seems to be fine except that when I put on the long vent tube on the gas cap, the engine doesn't stay idling for more than a few seconds. I take it off, make sure the other end of things is covered up, and my bike runs fine. So what's going on here? Should I purchase a shorter vented tube, or did I route some things up incorrectly?
  20. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my TM40 about 10,000km ago and everything seems fine with it. But wondering Is there any preventative maintenance for the TM40's - apart from changing fuel filters etc??

I've never actually pulled one apart and don't really want to unless its necessary. I know I wouldn't have to with 10km on it but what about 20k 30k, etc :huh

:freaky