Guys that pull trailers with a bike.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by jules083, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Marine By Choice

Marine By Choice Sergeant 0311

Oddometer:
    I have towed two different trailers behind my GL1800 Gold Wing. Washington to Florida twice, numerous trips to Texas, etc. . If you load it correctly and watch total weight there are no problems. Over 30,000 miles towing with zero problems.
  2. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Germany, you know that country that allows you to legally do any speed you desire on (some) public autobahns, has a clear rule on motorbikes with trailers:

No more than 60km/h (40mph), anywhere.

Yes they deem it to be THAT dangerous.
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because it IS THAT dangerous. :deal
  4. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    If you haven't any experience with a trailer, your opinion is not needed. It is up to the rider if he wants to use a trailer or not. Get over it.
    I have pulled a Kwik Kamp trailer, weighs 350 empty, about 450 loaded, all over without a single problem. I have pulled it with my 2002 Suzuki Intruder 1500, sometimes at speeds that were well inexcess of interstate speeds and in 30 mph sidewinds too. It has never gotten squirelly at all. My opinion on the safety chains is on 2 wheels, don't use the chains, check your gear often because if it comes loose, it will drag you where-ever it wants to without any regard as to where. I have also pulled this trailer with my sidecar rig too the extra wheel makes me safer, and I use the safety chains with this bike. It won't mess me up too bad if it comes loose from that big rig.
  5. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    :lol3

:rofl

Damn shame Hitler didn't take over the world. Then that might actually mean something over here where I ride.

Otherwise it doesn't.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry Spanky but that is not the way forums work. You have your opinion... I have mine. Neither negates the other. Yes it is up to the rider doing the pulling.

Having two couples (both riding Gold Wings pulling Trailers) die on Lolo pass because they were pulling trailers and had a momentary loss of rear tire traction when they rolled over some Granite Dust that had blown down off the hill... Causing them to fishtail right into the path of an oncoming tuck before they could gather it back up and get back in their lane. Two separate incidents within 3 weeks of each other. 4 people needlessly dead (plus one seriously injured driver of a dually truck) all due to pulling a trailer.

Good for you that you have pulled a trailer for thousands of miles successfully. I am sure these dead people and many others said the same thing UNTIL things went wrong and now they are dead.

So Yes... Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle is just great... UNTIL IT ISN'T.

I will continue to warn riders of the folly of it. I do not tell them they can't do it. That is their choice. I do not tell them it can't be done. It is done by many... I will tell them that it doesn't always go as planned and when things go wrong the results can be deadly. :deal

And just so you know I have pulled a trailer with a bike and it only anchors in my mind that it is not a smart thing to do with a motorcycle.

So, you keep telling them how it is safe and I'll keep warning them "... Until it isn't" :beer
  7. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gotta agree with you no this one.one of my customers had pulled a trailer for years with no problems. then it suddenly fishtailed causing them to wreck. both were hurt badly. she will never get back on a bike. he still rides but preaches to everyone to not pull a trailer. my cousin pulls one, my neighbor pulls one, me... i''ll load the hell out of my bike and if i cant' fit it on i'll leave it home.
  8. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    Ya know what I mean?
  9. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Same can be said for any vehicle pulling a trailer. You have to weigh the risks, as for people who have NEVER pulled a trailer, thier opinions are just that, opinions with no practicle experience. I use experience. I have alot experience in pulling trailers with almost any and every type of vehicle that has been on the road. So with more than 3 million miles as a commercial driver under my belt and at least a couple hundred thousand 2 wheeled miles to boot, I can say you have to know your limits. They who died , exceeded thiers. They knew the risks, also many perish with no trailer behind them so what about them? It's called experience. If you don't have it, you need it.
  10. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Dakez,

If the bike had traction control would you not be so concerned?

This summer I pulled a trailer from Va. to Yellowstone and back with my 10 year old two up on an 06 FJR. 2014 we plan to do Va to AK.

I felt the overall ride was safer, having all the extra weight off the bike but we are considering buying a Wing for the big trip and leaving the trailer at home.

The other thoughts were a GS with Jesse bags or a 2013 FJR with traction control and the trailer.

I just can't pack for two up on an extended trip with the FJR luggage and camping.
  11. sandsman

Oddometer:
    You can sure overload your bike and make it way more dangerous than a small trailer. I wouldn't overload my bike and put my kid behind me. Common sense rules here, if it doesn't look safe, then it's most likely not. Just Saying.
  12. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    great quote! I gonna see if it fits in my sig file. but not in red, my eyes are burning. :D

it fits.
  13. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    can't do it on a wing either. I bought the wing thinking it would be enough room, but with cameras, clothes and not much else, I was out of room, solo. I bought a trailer. :D
  14. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Ya, I probably could. Did AK with my wife on the GS. She flew up and back but I still carried all the gear both ways and road with her for 10 days in AK.

I'd think the Wing would be even better. Problem is that I don't really want a Wing or a GS. Love my FJR and would need to sell it to fund another bike. I'm already drooling over the 2013 FJR and if traction control would seriously make pulling a trailer safer then I have one more reason to upgrade.
  15. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    There. Fixed it for you.
  16. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    :deal
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no experience pulling a trailer with a bike that has traction control so I can't speak to it. It may help. Just be sure to play around a bit with as many different road surfaces as you can so at the very least you can learn what to expect.

Safe Travels and Happy Camping!
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :zilla

[​IMG]
  19. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DAKEZ,
    Why doesn't that HOG sticker state "Always wear a do rag, sunglasses, and pirate gear"?:rofl
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dunno No mention of assless chaps either. :scratch