DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
  2. Aquatek69

Aquatek69 Hairy Pirate Hunter

Oddometer:
    If you don't buy that you'll regret it!! it's a cracking find, what good condition.....
    John.
  3. Letsgo21

Letsgo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Omg! Thats about the same price i bought mine, but mine has 47000k:huh
  4. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock settings for shock absorber preload as promised (spring lenght):

Standard 244
    softer 252
    stiffer 235

Yes, that one - one of best DRs I saw on sale in UK to be honest.
  5. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    My DRZ is now on ebay, set to end a day before the 800.

Let's see if the gods smile on me :pope
  6. Letsgo21

Letsgo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed, its a steal!
  7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, fingers crossed!
    I'd buy your DRZ if we would have less kids :lol3
    Anyway, I think we need to start a temporary anti-DR Big pro-DRZ propaganda in all UK forums, so that you can get it at good price and sell DRZ :wink:
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    The DRZ is really nice, tbh. Lots of extras. It's just that I've decided I'm less 'off road' and more 'all road'. And I loved the two Super Teneres I've owned.

So I'm thinking the DRBig is an f650GS Dakar on steroids, which is just fine by me :D
  9. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    ....and it's even in the USA.

The bike arrived Monday. I spent a few days taking it apart to see what was there. Replaced fuel lines (old and brittle) and the drive chain. That was it.

Rode for the first time today. Brilliant! Just fantastic. I've always liked thumpers and this one out thumps every one I've ridden save one Gold Star race bike back in the late 60's (but my memory may be suspect and you did have to kick start that beast which made it seem that much more fearsome).

The bike fits me very well, bars, seat, pegs, tank...all are in the right place. Still sorting a few details but here it is in California (yep spring is starting here)

[​IMG]

I'll be looking into valve clearance and balacer chain adjustment in the near future.

If I'm correct, the current thinking is to set the valve clearance on these models to the SR43 specs?

Is there a washable foam air filter available anywhere?

I plan on posting here often now and I've found that each forum has it's own flavor so please let me know if I'm being a pain-in-the-ass or doing anything annoying. I can take it (I hope).

Ray
    Davis, California
    Shmap likes this.
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ain't she pretty! Wow - you got yourself really good looking 750! Congratulations!
    Yes, you are correct - ensure clearances are to SR43 specs - that will give you +30% of "engine life" in long run.

Foam filter for 750 - I just do not know, never saw one for 750. But if worst come to worst you can make it yourself using remains of stock filter and correct foam from some large car filter I guess.
  11. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Hay somebody passed me going the otherway on the Auckland motorway heading North on a blue and white DR750 about 130pm NZ time was that any off you guys, Deano ??

Ps, Got DR going again and all legal will post soon with the exciting details:clap
  12. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ladder106.
    Dude that is one hot looking Doctor Big, good score:clap
  13. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wasn't me brother i've got the cooler and faster orange colours:lol3 , good to here your DR's back up and running
  14. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    +1.

Needs a swanky new endcan though :evil
  15. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
  16. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Yep...it sounds too much like a KLR right now.

However, crashbars first along with a new front disc. Then a new air filter.

After that, better sounding from a new end can. I may open up a "can" of worms here, but what do you guys like for end cans and how does the jetting have to be changed to compensate?

I don't want to rattle windows but I would like a deeper more mellow sound to the bike.

Also, what do you guys see for MPG or KPG and how much range with the tanks from full to reserve....and how far will reserve get you before you start pushing??

Ray
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    You dare!!!!!!!!!! :thwak

It's probably the one bike I'll be happy with after shedding my DRZ and blackbird (both have to go, and I'm replacing them with something cheapish).
  18. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I've been re-reading some past posts and am interested in the airbox/filter mods that "Nave" did back in December last year.

I have'nt seen any posts from him and all his photos have disappeared.

Did anyone copy the airfilter/airbox mod photo? If so can you either post it or send it to me.

Baring that, does anyone know if Nave's photos are still alive somewhere?

Thanks,
    Ray
  19. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, you did it! You mentioned exhaust in DR Big tread! :lol3 Worms are flying around now...
    I still insist that best possible choice of end can for DR is large large displacement ex-roadbike 2 1/4" or something at least 2 " end can with some labirynth at least - if we talking driving it on public roads as well. It costs peanuts, all that need to be done is to get link pipe or modify stock pipe to fit.

As for Nave's info and airbox... I saved some of his photos....will look it up and mail them to you.
    But. Have a look at Marlboro Dakar bike. Look at arrangement of air filters on close-up foto of it. This is just BEAUTIFUL. This is how it should be. Large large surface area of filters, good isolation of the airbox which actually located after airfilters (best setup for motor by any means).
    I am really about to go that way as soon as my WP Extreme+ Braking caliper conversion is done. E.g. airfilter must be done and tested before end of May. And second reason is that it will allow to re-shape airbox arrangements in a way to free up space for piggyback shock absorber, choice of those are endless for offroad bikes. Remote reservoir ones of that stroke are scarce.
    Also I have something RE: airfilters I can actually offer for sale if anybody interested. I really wanted to put them on bike and got those relatively cheap, but after looking for first time in long time at that Marlboro bike airbox I am convert. I am not goint to use filters I have.
    What I have is 2 BMC racing filters for GSXR750. They are double-design, washeable and oiled kind, like K&N. 80 mm between centers of holes, if I remember right something like 55-60 mm holes for intake manifold or directly onto carbs. I do not know how they would've performed, but certainly not worse than stock. They cost a lot new, but I paid 70 Euros with delivery for both of them - almost new. Certainly it is not an option for our colleaguess "across the pond" as sending will be dear, but for Europe/UK is OK.
    [​IMG]
    If anybody wants these - I will sell them for exactly what I paid on German eBay for them as I already started making cardboard templates for Marlboro DR airbox ...:pot
  20. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND>http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=178711&stc=1&d=1216982354

</FIELDSET>

Yer, Im gunner come and see you soon, better get your metal roads down there ready unless you want an up north adventure,
    ( Id come visit you other guys as well but theres a little matter of some water in the way though the way the DR;s going at the mo she could probably nearly cross it )

Wonder who that Dude was and who;s is this Bike ??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-203798559.htm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="99%">Suzuki dr750S 1989

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 3px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SMALL>No bids</SMALL></TD><TD>| </TD><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">[​IMG] <SMALL>No reserve</SMALL></TD><TD>| </TD><TD noWrap><SMALL>Closes: Wed, 4 Mar</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=quickBid id=QuickBid_Auction cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=QuickBid_QuickBid><FORM name=quickbid action=/Buy/Bid.aspx method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=/browse/listing.aspx?id=203798559&rewritten=true name=bidFormReferrer><INPUT type=hidden value=203798559 name=bidFormAuctionId><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=bidFormStoreId><INPUT type=hidden value=509022 name=bidFormMemberId><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=bidFormIsStaging><INPUT type=hidden value=0.5 name=bidFormNextBidIncrement><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=bidFormExistingBid><INPUT type=hidden value=3300.0000 name=bidFormStartingBid> <TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap align=left>Starting bid: $</TD><TD><INPUT class=verdana maxLength=8 size=6 value=3300 name=bidFormBid> </TD><TD><INPUT style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; HEIGHT: 22px" type=submit value="Place Bid" name=quickbid></TD><TD></TD><TD><INPUT type=checkbox value=Y name=bidFormHasProxyBid></TD><TD><SMALL>Auto-bid [​IMG]</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD><TD id=QuickBid_BuyNow style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; TEXT-ALIGN: right"><FORM id=quickbuynow name=quickbuynow action=/Buy/BuyNow.aspx method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=203798559 name=buyNowFormAuctionId><INPUT type=hidden value=4200.0000 name=buyNowFormPrice><INPUT type=hidden value=509022 name=buyNowFormMemberId><INPUT style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; HEIGHT: 22px" type=submit value="Buy Now for $4,200" name=quickbid></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=ListingBodyText cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE class=attributeFields cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Style:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>Dual purpose</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Make:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>Suzuki</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Model:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>dr750S</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Engine size:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>750cc</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Kilometres:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>69,700km</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Year:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>1989</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>This DR750 big is in tidy condition all over always serviced,new starter clutch new timing chain, new slipper guides, camchain adjuster, all work done at 67000kms by machanic owner the bore was inspected and the rings gapped and the bike motor was put back together. The bike does not burn oil and will suit someone who wants a big adventure bike for the right price,The bike has near new Avon gripster tyers,and chain and sprockets shes ready for adventure pitty my family isn't. test rides welcome, call to view ,good bike, right price.

not a bmw not a honda yamaha harley ktm ducati triumph tiger super duke good bike cheap price.

Bike buyer's checklist
    <SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> <!-- if (window.TradeMeAds) {TradeMeAds.adOptions_MotorsChecklist = {adDiv:'divMclAd', i:'bWVtYmVySWQ9NDA3NDE1fG1lbWJlcklwPTEyMy4xMDAuOTMuNTF8bWNhdD0wMDAxLTAwMjYtMTI1NS0yNTA2LXxwYWdlTmFtZT0vQlJPV1NFL0xJU1RJTkcuQVNQWHxzb3Y9MXxyZz0yfGdlbmRlcj1GfGJpZD0xMDE%3d', clp:'vehicleNumberPlate=|listingID=203798559', s:'TradeMe', t:'MotorsChecklist', sc:'0', r:'14'}; TradeMeAds.GetAds.displayAd(TradeMeAds.adOptions_MotorsChecklist);} //--> </SCRIPT>

Please read the questions and answers for this auction below.

</TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle width="1%"><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> document.write("<style>#otherImages { height: 86px; visibility: hidden; }</style>"); </SCRIPT><STYLE>#otherImages { height: 86px; visibility: hidden; }</STYLE>
    <SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> var imagePath = 'http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/'; var prevMethod = true; jQuery(document).ready(function() { var scroller = new TradeMe.Scroller(jQuery('#scroller'), 353, 99, imagePath, "tq", true); });</SCRIPT><TABLE id=mainImageTable><TBODY><TR><TD class="" id=mainImg style="HEIGHT: 264px" vAlign=center align=middle jQuery1235724683406="2">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Photo 1 of 19
    /Images/Listing/l-button-over.gif
    /Images/Listing/r-button-over.gif
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]View full size photos

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="99%">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 3px"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=quickBid id=QuickBid_Auction cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=QuickBid_QuickBid><FORM name=quickbid action=/Buy/Bid.aspx method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=203798559 name=bidFormAuctionId><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=bidFormStoreId><INPUT type=hidden value=509022 name=bidFormMemberId><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=bidFormIsStaging><INPUT type=hidden value=0.5 name=bidFormNextBidIncrement><INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=bidFormExistingBid><INPUT type=hidden value=3300.0000 name=bidFormStartingBid> </FORM><TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap align=left>Sta<INPUT type=hidden value=/browse/listing.aspx?id=203798559&rewritten=true name=bidFormReferrer>rting bid: $</TD><TD><INPUT class=verdana maxLength=8 size=6 value=3300 name=bidFormBid> </TD><TD><INPUT style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; HEIGHT: 22px" type=submit value="Place Bid" name=quickbid></TD><TD></TD><TD><INPUT type=checkbox value=Y name=bidFormHasProxyBid></TD><TD><SMALL>Auto-bid [​IMG]</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD id=QuickBid_BuyNow style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; TEXT-ALIGN: right"><FORM id=quickbuynow name=quickbuynow action=/Buy/BuyNow.aspx method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=203798559 name=buyNowFormAuctionId><INPUT type=hidden value=4200.0000 name=buyNowFormPrice><INPUT type=hidden value=509022 name=buyNowFormMemberId><INPUT style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; HEIGHT: 22px" type=submit value="Buy Now for $4,200" name=quickbid></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=ListingBodyText cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE class=attributeFields cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Style:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>Dual purpose</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Make:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>Suzuki</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Model:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>dr750S</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Engine size:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>750cc</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Kilometres:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>69,700km</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap width="1%">Year:</TD><TD noWrap width="1%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD><TD>1989</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#eeeeee colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> <!-- if (window.TradeMeAds) {TradeMeAds.adOptions_MotorsChecklist = {adDiv:'divMclAd', i:'bWVtYmVySWQ9NDA3NDE1fG1lbWJlcklwPTEyMy4xMDAuOTMuNTF8bWNhdD0wMDAxLTAwMjYtMTI1NS0yNTA2LXxwYWdlTmFtZT0vQlJPV1NFL0xJU1RJTkcuQVNQWHxzb3Y9MXxyZz0yfGdlbmRlcj1GfGJpZD0xMDE%3d', clp:'vehicleNumberPlate=|listingID=203798559', s:'TradeMe', t:'MotorsChecklist', sc:'0', r:'14'}; TradeMeAds.GetAds.displayAd(TradeMeAds.adOptions_MotorsChecklist);} //--> </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD></TD><TD align=middle width="1%"><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> document.write("<style>#otherImages { height: 86px; visibility: hidden; }</style>"); </SCRIPT><STYLE>#otherImages { height: 86px; visibility: hidden; }</STYLE>
    <SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> var imagePath = 'http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/'; var prevMethod = true; jQuery(document).ready(function() { var scroller = new TradeMe.Scroller(jQuery('#scroller'), 353, 99, imagePath, "tq", true); });</SCRIPT><TABLE id=mainImageTable><TBODY><TR><TD class="" id=mainImg style="HEIGHT: 264px" vAlign=center align=middle jQuery1235724683406="2">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>